Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: October 6, 2024, 4:23 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheistic Dogma- Scientific Fundamentalism
RE: Atheistic Dogma- Scientific Fundamentalism
(September 16, 2014 at 2:14 am)Rhythm Wrote:
(September 16, 2014 at 2:11 am)psychoslice Wrote: That's Ok, we are all where we are, I am where I am and you are where you are. Its ok if you think we are all separate, that's how its suppose to be, that is why we have our senses to feel through life, but we are more than that, its up to you to discover that, and if you don't then that's ok also, its no big deal and its not a race to the finish.
But we're one, how could we be in separate places simultaneously? I'm wondering if there's actually anything to discover or whether you just decided that it was time to inject some platitudinous bullshit that you weren't willing to actually stand up for-

or had never actually considered in any way whatsoever before having uttered it.

Again that's fine, you see all as separate I see all as one, and it doesn't matter what you or I think, and again its no big deal. My life has changed since I had this realization, and that's all that matter to me, you got your life, find the best in that and be happy.
But I don't have my life, I have our life (and the lighters too...apparently), my ignorance of this realization is your own. If I don't possess this knowledge then neither do you, doppel-me.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(September 16, 2014 at 2:20 am)Rhythm Wrote: But I don't have my life, I have our life (and the lighters too...apparently), my ignorance of this realization is your own. If I don't possess this knowledge then neither do you, doppel-me.

Be happy friend.
If you're happy then I'm happy. Angel

(obviously, when people go full retard it gets my goat, I guess you know that now - never go full retard)
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(September 16, 2014 at 12:09 am)sswhateverlove Wrote:
Quote:Very interesting. Please tell me how I get outside the universe to make those observations.

Unfortunately, the lack of omniscience prevents me from being able to elaborate further. Maybe we can get a theist to ask god? Tongue

What you have, then, is an untestable, unfalsifiable hypothesis.

What you don't have is science.
Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
Ok, I'm going to attempt to respond to most of what has been asked, the best I can. Taking into consideration limits within language is probably a significant barrier to discussion about this topic, as trying to speak of "all" from the perspective of "me", possibly understanding "a bit", about the "all". I'm attempting because you asked about my 80% confidence level and I'm trying to give that to you honestly.

First, the idea of consciousness. The idea I proposed is that we have a personal experience tunnel of reality that each of us would probably define as our personal awareness (think little Joey on his scooter). But how does this happen, what is involved? People who know a bit about neurobiology would say neuronal process, but I have to say I have not been convinced (by anything I've researched) that the brain and CNS are more than a small piece of the overall system. In my mind, simply from a "biological" perspective, the consciousness involves a dynamic dance between the sense receptors, the CNS, endocrine system, immune system, cardiovascular system the cells within the body that have my DNA, as well as the cells that don't (they say those 'other' cells outnumber mine 10to1 by the way). Further, I see the dynamic dance including the genome and changes in gene expression which is also engaged in a dynamic dance with the vibrational frequencies of everything in my environment. Though these processes are not normally considered "conscious" activities (they are obviously mostly done "unconsciously"), they are representative of the operational processes that are required to keep the organism functioning with our level of conscious awareness (hence, being "alive"=having conscious personal awareness). I should add here, however, that through deep meditation people have been known to be able to take "conscious" control of many of these processes, but that's another thread I think.

Is the lighter conscious? In the sense that it has a personal awareness reality tunnel? I don't know (I honestly don't know for sure if you have one either), but I would speculate no (regarding the lighter). Is it still a part of the larger consciousness story (the first perspective as I discussed)? I would speculate yes. In the sense that it is one of the influential environmental feedback responses that results in adjustments to the dynamic dance of your personal awareness producing "biological systems", it is as intrinsically part of your personal awareness experience as your neurons or the bacteria in your gut. Additionally, I venture to guess that every action you engage in that influences your environment is also providing feedback responses that are shaping all else that is to be experienced within your reality tunnel by you or other personal awarenesses sharing it. Unique experiences are had, but, from this perspective, everything is just a small piece of a larger consciousnesses picture that I assume to be much bigger than the restrictive labels and boundaries that have been put on it with our current language.

With regard to the particular theories I referred to, I'm making no claim of absolute accuracy of any of them or claiming that they fit together like puzzle pieces to form the total of "the truth". I've been following these sciences, and the directions explored by the theorists, because they seem to be moving in a direction that is getting closer to, what I perceive to be, an integrated study of consciousness, and a more comprehensive explanation of reality. I personally think this is the direction for science to go at this point if we are going to advance beyond our current state of knowledge and get a better understanding of ourselves and our existence.
So cutting through the gish-gallop we can see you don't have the foggiest idea what is meant by the term 'Dark Matter' and freely admit you have no education in physics that would give you the framework to put the concepts of 'Dark Matter' or 'Dark Energy' into their proper positions.
You then launch into an aimless ramble on the subject of 'consciousness' with strong overtones of Deepak Chopra...
I don't suppose you can actually describe what you understand by the term 'consciousness' and get the strong impression that you've gotten involved in some 'New-Age' group that has essentially bamboozled you.
Quote:I don't understand why you'd come to a discussion forum, and then proceed to reap from visibility any voice that disagrees with you. If you're going to do that, why not just sit in front of a mirror and pat yourself on the back continuously?
-Esquilax

Evolution - Adapt or be eaten.
(September 16, 2014 at 8:58 am)Mr Greene Wrote: So cutting through the gish-gallop we can see you don't have the foggiest idea what is meant by the term 'Dark Matter' and freely admit you have no education in physics that would give you the framework to put the concepts of 'Dark Matter' or 'Dark Energy' into their proper positions.
You then launch into an aimless ramble on the subject of 'consciousness' with strong overtones of Deepak Chopra...
I don't suppose you can actually describe what you understand by the term 'consciousness' and get the strong impression that you've gotten involved in some 'New-Age' group that has essentially bamboozled you.

Pretty much all I know about dark matter and dark energy, I've learned from watching Neil Degrasse Tyson documentaries. The Ted Talk I posted had a piece at the end where the speaker was talking about researching patterned microwaves (actually sound waves) were detected on earth, and were assessed to be related to dark matter creating a invisible web-like scaffolding throughout the universe that has shaped all matter. She explores how dark matter would effect the way that normal matter evolves over time. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYH_nFwMXRM

I don't think I can explain my opinion on the term of "consciousness" any better than the way I did in my last post. Is there something in particular you do not understand?

I'm have not been bamboozled. I've been studying consciousness from every angle I possibly could for quite a many years. This is what I've gathered from my personal observations, experience and research. You can take it or leave it.

In all honesty, this thread was about trying to get you all to share with me about what in science sways your opinion. I want to know about your perspectives on consciousness and the nature of existence. If you're not totally convinced (as I've been assured over and over is a strawman assumption) please share with me, what are you thoughts on the science of consciousness, astrophysics, quantum physics, epigenetics? Do you find it as fascinating as I do? What does it make you think about the nature of reality?

I shared. Now it's your turn.
Is there a thing called atheist apologetics?
(September 16, 2014 at 9:35 am)sswhateverlove Wrote: Pretty much all I know about dark matter and dark energy, I've learned from watching Neil Degrasse Tyson documentaries. The Ted Talk I posted had a piece at the end where the speaker was talking about researching patterned microwaves (actually sound waves) were detected on earth, and were assessed to be related to dark matter creating a invisible web-like scaffolding throughout the universe that has shaped all matter. She explores how dark matter would effect the way that normal matter evolves over time. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYH_nFwMXRM
Well for starters I think you need to learn how to post links, because that one doesn't work.

Quote:I don't think I can explain my opinion on the term of "consciousness" any better than the way I did in my last post. Is there something in particular you do not understand?
As stated there are strong overtones of Deepak Chopra which is an immediate warning klaxon.

Quote:I'm have not been bamboozled. I've been studying consciousness from every angle I possibly could for quite a many years. This is what I've gathered from my personal observations, experience and research. You can take it or leave it.

In all honesty, this thread was about trying to get you all to share with me about what in science sways your opinion. I want to know about your perspectives on consciousness and the nature of existence. If you're not totally convinced (as I've been assured over and over is a strawman assumption) please share with me, what are you thoughts on the science of consciousness, astrophysics, quantum physics, epigenetics? Do you find it as fascinating as I do? What does it make you think about the nature of reality?

I shared. Now it's your turn.
Certainly astronomy and biology are major interests of mine, I have a BSc in Applied Zoology, whilst a fair section of my personal library is by the late Patrick Moore OBE.
As for the variations on the Goldilocks Universe idea, which is where you seem to be heading. I think you have the cart before the horse.
1) Space is big... I refer to Copernicus as to our place within it.
2) We have evolved to adapt to our environment. You may characterize me as Neo-Darwinian.
3) Origins of the Universe. Start with A Brief History of Time by S. Hawking and A Universe From Nothing by L Krauss.

If you're looking for evidence of consciousness you are confined to this biosphere until SETI gets something positive.
Quote:I don't understand why you'd come to a discussion forum, and then proceed to reap from visibility any voice that disagrees with you. If you're going to do that, why not just sit in front of a mirror and pat yourself on the back continuously?
-Esquilax

Evolution - Adapt or be eaten.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fine Tuning Principle: Devastating Disproof and Scientific Refutation of Atheism. Nishant Xavier 97 10084 September 20, 2023 at 1:31 pm
Last Post: Silver
  A question about atheistic “beliefs” (opinions, guesses, etc.) Frank Apisa 252 20759 June 30, 2021 at 6:51 pm
Last Post: Rahn127
  [Serious] Atheist Dogma Prof.Lunaphiles 296 28642 April 23, 2020 at 10:39 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Atheistic calendar Interaktive 38 4484 December 26, 2019 at 3:43 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Make up your own atheistic quote Transcended Dimensions 56 10911 October 30, 2017 at 9:04 am
Last Post: brewer
  One more dogma to add to the rest. Little Rik 102 25162 August 30, 2017 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: mordant
  Could Gods hypothetically be atheistic scientists? causal code 5 2796 August 24, 2017 at 12:17 am
Last Post: Astonished
  Atheistic religions Der/die AtheistIn 21 7317 August 10, 2017 at 1:36 pm
Last Post: Harry Nevis
  Study finds link between brain damage and fundamentalism drfuzzy 13 4613 May 16, 2017 at 3:46 am
Last Post: Little lunch
  Are there any scientific books or studies that explain what makes a person religious? WisdomOfTheTrees 13 2889 February 9, 2017 at 2:33 am
Last Post: Mirek-Polska