Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: July 4, 2024, 1:11 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rant against anti-atheist agnostics.
RE: Rant against anti-atheist agnostics.
(September 29, 2014 at 3:17 am)fr0d0 Wrote: I'm bored of answering that same old question. Every new atheist must think it's original.

What about Santa Clause and the Easter Bunny? What about the dragon in your garage? What about the chocolate tea pot? You are so very unoriginal.

So what? This reads very much like "I have no answer to give you", which is par for the course.

Your faith is as vapid as anyone else's, and the only way you can think to mask that plain fact is by personal attacks.

"Unoriginal", indeed.

(September 29, 2014 at 3:17 am)fr0d0 Wrote: If you don't know the difference between faiths then perhaps you should go do some study. You're not asking me because you want to know.

No, I'm not. I'm asking you for your views on why your ridiculous faith should not be lumped in with other ridiculous faiths. I've studied the various faiths enough to realize that hogwash is hogwash no matter what garments it wears. I want to know why you regard your hogwash as real.

(September 29, 2014 at 3:17 am)fr0d0 Wrote: This thread is your clue. Christianity is unique amongst religions in bridging the gap between God and human. Other faiths have humans serving God, but Christianity has God serving humans. We are made in his image. Emulation lifts us up. Christianity is one evolutionary step ahead of every other faith for this reason.

Nonsense. It's not for no reason that pride is regarded as a sin. It's not for no reason that humility is held to be virtuous. It's not for no reason that you preach self-abnegation in the face of deity.

The emphasized passage is simply you trying to wriggle out of a conundrum by coining a turn of phrase that sounds nifty but is essentially meaningless.

(September 29, 2014 at 3:17 am)fr0d0 Wrote: That's not saying that all religious endeavour isn't an expression of the same thing. It is. There's something valuable in all of them. Including atheist beliefs.
I'm interested in them all. I'm also convinced of my own beliefs. I came to them rationally, and so can do no other, but to follow my best understanding.

If you came to them rationally, lay that course out, so that your reasoning may be examined.

(September 29, 2014 at 7:39 am)fr0d0 Wrote: Take a closer look gen. Those faiths/ practises don't let you overcome your flaws.

On the contrary, overcoming your "flaws" is a requirement in many religions for attaining the ideal - its Christianity which gives you a handy excuse to skip it altogether.
(September 29, 2014 at 8:04 am)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: If you came to them rationally, lay that course out, so that your reasoning may be examined.

Follow me around kid there are always crumbs at the table

(September 29, 2014 at 8:17 am)genkaus Wrote: overcoming your "flaws" is a requirement in many religions for attaining the ideal - its Christianity which gives you a handy excuse to skip it altogether.

Cwl you gets it Great
(September 29, 2014 at 8:26 am)fr0d0 Wrote:
(September 29, 2014 at 8:17 am)genkaus Wrote: overcoming your "flaws" is a requirement in many religions for attaining the ideal - its Christianity which gives you a handy excuse to skip it altogether.

Cwl you gets it Great

So your excuse for choosing Christianity is that it gives the easiest way out?
(September 29, 2014 at 8:26 am)fr0d0 Wrote:
(September 29, 2014 at 8:04 am)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: If you came to them rationally, lay that course out, so that your reasoning may be examined.

Follow me around kid there are always crumbs at the table

Surprise surprise, Frodo clenches up and can think of nothing to say. Here's the part where he begins changing the topic of the conversation to some irrelevant matter and asks, "What's it like where you live?"
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
(September 29, 2014 at 8:31 am)genkaus Wrote:
(September 29, 2014 at 8:26 am)fr0d0 Wrote: Cwl you gets it :great:

So your excuse for choosing Christianity is that it gives the easiest way out?

Of course. Once you've internalized the view that we are all corrupt, sinful shit bags for whom damnation is almost too good a fate and that we are powerless on our own to rectify this alleged state of affairs, grasping at Jesus' magical get-out-of-jail-free card simply follows. It's a win-win for the believers. They get to maintain their sad self-laceration (I'm undeserving but for the grace of God), hector others about their fallen natures, and spend eternity in heaven where they will enjoy -- among other perks -- the right to judge even the angels. It's the perfect storm of self-loathing and jaw-dropping vanity -- all without having to leave the comforts of the moral and intellectual cradle.
(September 29, 2014 at 8:31 am)genkaus Wrote: So your excuse for choosing Christianity is that it gives the easiest way out?

The only way. But easiest would be good too. I'm only human.

(September 29, 2014 at 8:34 am)Pickup_shonuff Wrote: Surprise surprise, Frodo clenches up and can think of nothing to say. Here's the part where he begins changing the topic of the conversation to some irrelevant matter and asks, "What's it like where you live?"

Trolling is beneath you. Are you always like this when you get frustrated? It's a shame, because your other posts since I took you off block were quite good.

I'm sorry Rhythm, I seem to have attracted a barrel full of fishes into your thread. They're jumping into my net even.
(September 29, 2014 at 9:21 am)fr0d0 Wrote: The only way. But easiest would be good too. I'm only human.

Nihilism is even easier - why don't you go for that?
Nihism is depressing. Doing nothing is the atheist position. Read above for my views on that.
(September 29, 2014 at 9:27 am)fr0d0 Wrote: Nihism is depressing. Doing nothing is the atheist position. Read above for my views on that.

But its easier - which is the rationale you adopt while choosing your religion.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  History: The Iniquitous Anti-Christian French Revolution. Nishant Xavier 27 2424 August 6, 2023 at 9:08 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  I'm no longer an anti-theist Duty 27 2250 September 16, 2022 at 1:08 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
Question Atheists and Agnostics that have child Eclectic 11 1337 August 28, 2022 at 3:36 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  All kind of Agnostics people Eclectic 4 559 August 25, 2022 at 5:24 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Angry Atheists and Anti-Theists Agnostico 186 19778 December 31, 2018 at 12:22 pm
Last Post: T0 Th3 M4X
  Isn't Atheism anti Christian than anti religious? Western part atleast Kibbi 14 3623 October 5, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Dr H
  Why America is anti-theist. Goosebump 3 1155 March 1, 2018 at 9:06 am
Last Post: mlmooney89
  Anti-Theism Haipule 134 26620 December 20, 2017 at 1:39 pm
Last Post: Haipule
  Atheists, what are your thoughts on us Agnostics? NuclearEnergy 116 28187 November 30, 2017 at 12:09 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
Tongue Let's see some Atheist or Anti Religion Memes Spooky 317 162622 July 10, 2017 at 5:00 am
Last Post: ignoramus