Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 27, 2024, 7:22 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Religion vs. Disbelief: No Hope. Why bother?
Religion vs. Disbelief: No Hope. Why bother?
As I am witnessing and identifying my thoughts and feelings more often I am identifying these few simply facts (for me):

1) The mormon church is seducing and sometimes I miss it.
2) I can't get these damn church songs out of my head!
3) My beliefs were exactly that: just a belief. Which leads me to think: do true blue believers only have beliefs? Or have they found a way to make their belief appear as fact?
4) Those who are willfully religious don't think like I do and I don't think like they do. There is nearly no hope for common ground with most religious people.
5) People are religious for the same reasons why I miss the mormon church: it's familiar, comfortable, and it hands you the answers. No reason to question or think...God already did that for us.

So through thinking about this, I see it impossible to ever find religion obsolete or defeated. Humans need religion. They might not objectively need it, but they think they need it. Everyone needs something to save them and for most, religion is the answer.

For many religious people in my sect, they spend money in their faith...alot. They spend time in their faith...alot. There are tons of catchy songs...18 years of songs. 4 years of morning seminary. Hours of scripture study. It's pure brainwash.

Put it this way, you can't convince a human to walk on four legs and insist that it is better for them. The human has already learned to walk on two and likes it that way very much.

Religion is the same way. The religious prefer to walk on all fours, they are convinced it is better. They are strong in this method and it is familiar and comfortable. They will never think or act like a human who walks on two feet. It is impossible. it is foreign, and it is scary.

I think that, ultimately, religion will never cease to exist but only mutate.

Our best hope is that religion mutates in a positive direction for a secular society.
"Just call me Bruce Wayne. I'd rather be Batman."
RE: Religion vs. Disbelief: No Hope. Why bother?
well its tempting to be ignorant but it doesn't mean its right. i would like to be religious but i cannot be religious as i would be ignorant.
That is the problem with religion you can be apart of a "family" and be accepted if you choose the ignorance. But being an atheist is like being
the black sheep on the far side of the pasture with the others. While atheist have no type of community like theism does that's the problem because
well it tends to get lonely.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
Atheists can have just as good communities, it's just a matter of finding enough of us!

I guess in some ways, religious is like drugs, alcohol and such. It's a crutch to try and get you through life when you feel it is unbearable.

The worst of it is though is that religion will try and make you feel your life is unbearable, even when it isn't, so that you will need them. It's the equivalent of spiking you with heroin to get you addicted.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(December 9, 2014 at 11:45 pm)Quantum1Connect Wrote: As I am witnessing and identifying my thoughts and feelings more often I am identifying these few simply facts (for me):

3) My beliefs were exactly that: just a belief. Which leads me to think: do true blue believers only have beliefs? Or have they found a way to make their belief appear as fact?
4) Those who are willfully religious don't think like I do and I don't think like they do. There is nearly no hope for common ground with most religious people.
5) People are religious for the same reasons why I miss the mormon church: it's familiar, comfortable, and it hands you the answers. No reason to question or think...God already did that for us.

So through thinking about this, I see it impossible to ever find religion obsolete or defeated. Humans need religion. They might not objectively need it, but they think they need it. Everyone needs something to save them and for most, religion is the answer.

For many religious people in my sect, they spend money in their faith...alot. They spend time in their faith...alot. There are tons of catchy songs...18 years of songs. 4 years of morning seminary. Hours of scripture study. It's pure brainwash.

Put it this way, you can't convince a human to walk on four legs and insist that it is better for them. The human has already learned to walk on two and likes it that way very much.

Religion is the same way. The religious prefer to walk on all fours, they are convinced it is better. They are strong in this method and it is familiar and comfortable. They will never think or act like a human who walks on two feet. It is impossible. it is foreign, and it is scary.

Our best hope is that religion mutates in a positive direction for a secular society.

Religion may cease to exist, but we will always need systems of belief. They are not the same.

MM
"The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions" - Leonardo da Vinci

"I think I use the term “radical” rather loosely, just for emphasis. If you describe yourself as “atheist,” some people will say, “Don’t you mean ‘agnostic’?” I have to reply that I really do mean atheist, I really do not believe that there is a god; in fact, I am convinced that there is not a god (a subtle difference). I see not a shred of evidence to suggest that there is one ... etc., etc. It’s easier to say that I am a radical atheist, just to signal that I really mean it, have thought about it a great deal, and that it’s an opinion I hold seriously." - Douglas Adams (and I echo the sentiment)
(December 9, 2014 at 11:45 pm)Quantum1Connect Wrote: As I am witnessing and identifying my thoughts and feelings more often I am identifying these few simply facts (for me):

The part I bolded above? That's religion talking, specifically Christianity. The insidiousness of Christianity stems from it telling/teaching people that they are nothing without obedience and deference to god. That they must be saved from themselves not because they are inherently flawed, but because they are irredeemable otherwise. It's part of the pattern of mental abuse that is found within religion. "I give up my own agency to a tyrant because I am nothing without them. My punishment is deserved because I acted contrary to his whims."

It's bullshit conditioning. Yes, people are flawed, but we don't need saving. We're not helpless, and we're not destined to merely wallow in those flaws. We don't need saving. We need understanding, patience, and the resolve to help and uplift each other when necessary. We can get that on our own. No sky daddy required.
"I was thirsty for everything, but blood wasn't my style" - Live, "Voodoo Lady"
(December 10, 2014 at 2:03 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: It's bullshit conditioning. Yes, people are flawed, but we don't need saving. We're not helpless, and we're not destined to merely wallow in those flaws. We don't need saving. We need understanding, patience, and the resolve to help and uplift each other when necessary. We can get that on our own. No sky daddy required.
This right here. You nailed it.

I feel very sorry for the brainwashed masses that honestly believe and feel they are nothing when told they are unworthy. We could ascend to the highest levels imaginable if people would discard these bullshit ideas and superstition in favor of aspiring toward making the world better than it is now.
(December 9, 2014 at 11:45 pm)Quantum1Connect Wrote: 3) My beliefs were exactly that: just a belief. Which leads me to think: do true blue believers only have beliefs? Or have they found a way to make their belief appear as fact?
We treat the things we believe as if they are fact. We can hold on to the things we believe via ritual and repetition, which is why so many religions use both so heavily. It's very difficult to just drop a belief system unless you replace the rituals and repetition with something else. It's a form of deprogramming. Take note of the things you used to do that are linked with your old religious beliefs (attending church and church functions, reading religious literature, prayer time, etc) and find activities to replace them with (going window shopping, meeting a friend for lunch, reading books, exercising, etc).

It's the old method for "taking your mind off of whatever troubles you." The less time spent thinking about it, the more it diminishes and is replaced by something else. Make a list of things you want to do or achieve, then make a list of ways to accomplish each one, and start to fill your time with those activities. You can kill two birds with one stone; building self-esteem through productive activities while burying the old belief system.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
(December 10, 2014 at 7:40 am)robvalue Wrote: Atheists can have just as good communities, it's just a matter of finding enough of us!

I guess in some ways, religious is like drugs, alcohol and such. It's a crutch to try and get you through life when you feel it is unbearable.

The worst of it is though is that religion will try and make you feel your life is unbearable, even when it isn't, so that you will need them. It's the equivalent of spiking you with heroin to get you addicted.

the biggest issue some radical christians would firebomb the location saying that when they go to jail were godless heathens and devils.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
If by "some christians" you mean "nearly 0", then..yea I guess.
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
The songs? really? They are fluffy shit, NO musical value in them. It is just that we sung them so much we got used to them and they were familiar. As a test, go out and buy the latest christian music (dont spend too much) and now listen to it for its musical value. You won't be swayed by the familiarity of the song so just listen.

I know you are 21 (i think) but there is GREAT music out there. I like rock and roll but if you are into other stuff go to the symphony, catch a country band at a local bar, download some rap. It all is better than the fluffy shit that was forced down our ears. Just enjoy the new music, it will become familiar to you soon!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The soft toys parents hope connect kids to their faith zebo-the-fat 13 1519 October 31, 2021 at 3:50 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  "Don't take away people's hope" Brian37 96 11846 August 8, 2019 at 7:20 pm
Last Post: WinterHold
  Religion hurts homosexuality but homosexuality kills religion? RozKek 43 11727 March 30, 2016 at 2:46 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Terrorism has no religion but religion brings terrorism. Islam is NOT peaceful. bussta33 13 5267 January 16, 2016 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Atheists, Do You Hope You are Right? Neo-Scholastic 52 10013 October 15, 2015 at 7:42 am
Last Post: Hmmm?
  Religion's affect outside of religion Heat 67 20888 September 28, 2015 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
  Religious belief/disbelief pill watchamadoodle 23 7143 March 16, 2015 at 11:03 am
Last Post: Drich
  Disbelief in an intelligent creator = far fetched? Silver 39 8776 January 12, 2015 at 10:07 am
Last Post: Nope
Rainbow Gay rights within the template of religion proves flaws in "religion" CristW 288 56370 November 21, 2014 at 4:09 pm
Last Post: DramaQueen
  We Can Hope He's Right.... Minimalist 14 2452 November 5, 2014 at 1:20 am
Last Post: vorlon13