Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 10:13 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Disbelief in an intelligent creator = far fetched?
Disbelief in an intelligent creator = far fetched?
Quote:Best-selling author Eric Metaxas' Christmas day op-ed about scientific evidence for the existence of God became the most popular article ever published on the Wall Street Journal's website, according to the op-ed's writer. Criticisms of the article came from many corners, including some fellow Christians.

Science increasingly supports the hypothesis that the universe has a creator, Metaxas wrote. By calculating the probability that life on Earth emerged from random events, the evidence suggests a designer. The existence of life, and the universe itself, is so highly improbable, according to recent scientific findings, disbelief in an intelligent creator has become far fetched, Metaxas argued.

http://www.christianpost.com/news/does-s...ct-132251/
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
RE: Disbelief in an intelligent creator = far fetched?
Belief in an intelligent creator = dumb fuckery
TL;DR: "We don't know how we got here and statistically, it's almost impossible for life to have developed by chance, therefor... God."

EDIT: Clearly our explanation of the sheer size of the Universe and how small and insignificant our planet really is hasn't gotten through to these people. Sure, the conditions required to create life on a planet is based on tiny details and coincidences, but give me the one Atheist who has ever made a claim that it was easy.
Ugh, I'd heard about Metaxas' little spiel before, but I hadn't read any of it until now; it's seriously just the same "life on Earth is improbable, therefore it's designed," crap?

How did you determine that life on Earth was a goal, Mister Metaxas? How did you determine that anything in the cosmos would care one bit if life on Earth never happened at all? Or do you just exclaim at the improbability of every hand of cards or lottery drawing you ever see, and declare them all designed because of how unlikely they are?
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
I also this goes without saying, but: dafuq did god come from? Isn't a god simply coming into existence just as unlikely?
I don't know. I believe in an intelligent incomprehensive designer (just not the traditional god with white beard) that is beyond our sense of reality. I believe it's perfectly fine to believe in an intelligent creator, no matter if anyone thinks it's dumb fuckery
What an utter load of embarressing garbage. Fucking ridiculous. How many times will people dig up the corpse of this argument, put some new clothes and perfume on it and expect us not to notice.

Sure, there could be a creator, but this argument does not demonstrate it. And if there is one, with humans as some sort of goal, he is not intelligent, he is incompetent. Or at least, not as intelligent as people often like to think.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(January 11, 2015 at 3:26 am)Grasshopper Wrote: I don't know. I believe in an intelligent incomprehensive designer (just not the traditional god with white beard) that is beyond our sense of reality. I believe it's perfectly fine to believe in an intelligent creator, no matter if anyone thinks it's dumb fuckery

Maybe dumb fuckery is a little strong, but, strictly speaking, most people here don't agree with religion and think it's a lie.
Sure, I don't think someone is dumb for believing there was some sort of creator. I think it's perfectly understandable. I think they are abandoning reason when they attempt to demonstrate there is such a creator, and have lost it entirely when they try to correlate it with their story book.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(January 11, 2015 at 3:26 am)Grasshopper Wrote: I believe in an intelligent incomprehensive designer

You profess to know things about an incomprehensible being. What more can I say?
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Creator God Gets to Make the Rules zwanzig 25 2040 August 6, 2023 at 3:59 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Intelligent Falling Dundee 9 1539 October 5, 2020 at 1:41 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  [Serious] Care to Seriously Consider the Existance of a Creator (God)? theMadJW 117 10340 April 29, 2020 at 12:40 pm
Last Post: polymath257
  God as a non-creator Fake Messiah 13 1668 January 21, 2020 at 8:36 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  If you're pro-life, how far do you take that? robvalue 147 13704 August 10, 2018 at 4:07 pm
Last Post: Catholic_Lady
  Intelligent Design (brief overview). Mystic 70 12888 May 9, 2018 at 2:17 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Intelligent (?) Design Minimalist 12 4285 August 21, 2017 at 1:23 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  If God of Abraham is true, then why didnt he use his intelligent design to make a new Roeki 129 44895 July 9, 2017 at 2:11 am
Last Post: Astonished
  Why do far right Christian-Conservatives want to put Jesus in schools NuclearEnergy 41 8279 February 8, 2017 at 11:42 am
Last Post: Asmodee
  If there is a creator, so what? robvalue 334 29404 November 21, 2016 at 3:34 pm
Last Post: philadelphialawyer