Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 1, 2024, 3:42 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Since Heaven and Hell are not temporal ..
RE: Since Heaven and Hell are not temporal ..
(December 18, 2014 at 3:32 pm)professor Wrote: Read history.
When your enemy tries to kill you and take everything you have, and your enemy looses-
he looses big time.
He FORFITS what he has.
It is called "Justice".

That's debatable. Granted taking what someone has helps ensure he won't be able to do it again soon, but instead of stealing their land the Jews could have told the UN and tried to get them to stop. Instead you've got two wrongs not making a right. If someone I hate gets into a fight with me, and I win, I don't get to take something of his on top of beating him up.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

(December 18, 2014 at 3:58 pm)ChadWooters Wrote:
(December 18, 2014 at 12:53 pm)Esquilax Wrote: All you've said here is that you have an argument and it works, you didn't present it. …the same Aquinas…you've given in the past, and had debunked over and over?
Debunked? In your dreams, Esq. Your response, a kind of brute facts occationalism, provides no rational basis of effectiveness of the scientific method and violates the principle of sufficient reason.

My response was simply that Aquinas' arguments were nothing but assertions that A: violated their own premises to reach their conclusions, B: offered no evidence or justification in support of them, and C: defines problems into existence by fiat in order to demand they be solved, despite having no reason for thinking they even existed in the first place. Simply dismissing these, as you did back then too, is not a response, and does not diminish the truth of them.

Additionally, "no rational basis of effectiveness" for the scientific method? Does not the continued, demonstrable efficacy of those branches of science that do work count as a good enough basis? What more do you want, if centuries of consistent positive results aren't enough? And why aren't you asking the same of your god? Oh, and if you're tempted to again tell me what the scientific method just takes as givens, I'll just remind you that arguments from ignorance are not evidence against scientific efficacy, nor are they support for the unjustified ramblings of Aquinas.

Quote:Only within the scope of inquiries related to natural science. Science presupposes certain philosophical assumptions. That foundational need is why there is a specific area of rational inquiry called ‘Philosophy of Science.’

Yes, axioms exist. But they don't require god magic to support them; the whole point of axioms is to allow us to operate in accordance with the things we observe but don't necessarily have fully comprehensive answers for yet. You can't just point at them as evidence for god, because that would be, again, an argument from ignorance.
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
(December 18, 2014 at 6:11 pm)Esquilax Wrote: Does not the continued, demonstrable efficacy of those branches of science that do work count as a good enough basis?
Ready, fire, aim. My point was the that science IS efficacious. It's effectiveness has a reason: final causes are at play. Your explanation for the efficacy of science is boils down to 'it works because it works', i.e. circular reasoning.
(December 18, 2014 at 10:51 am)Fidel_Castronaut Wrote: Take your nonsensical 'metaphysical' ramblings to someplace where someone might give a shit. You want to prove to us your version of your sky fairy is real, give us what we want - something testable and verifiable.

I tried and everyone here wouldn't look at it, just made fun of the man and said his occupation limited him from understanding what he spent many years learning. Science and the Bible agreed and no one was interested, because you guys don't want the possibility of God being real, that would mean you would have to accept something you've spent years trying to run in the ground. You know that you would have to face Him and answer to all the things you have said about Him. You're not going to look at anything that science might have to show God exists, for you all the price is to high to admit you were wrong. Hint: better now than later. Also, one here said that one couldn't tell when an object in space was over a certain area, well here's the answer I can set on my front porch and tell you what town the sun sets on, the same for the moon and the same for certain stars. Not only that, there have been ancient cultures that precisely built building several miles apart, completely out of site of each other, and there walls actually lined up with the setting and or rising moon. that is the moon and the walls were in a perfect plane with each other, that's quite a feat, yet what a man discovered was a few years ago is called worthless by some here. Why because they probably couldn't find their way out of the wood at night, just to put it nicely.

GC

(December 18, 2014 at 4:33 pm)Chad32 Wrote:
(December 18, 2014 at 3:32 pm)professor Wrote: Read history.
When your enemy tries to kill you and take everything you have, and your enemy looses-
he looses big time.
He FORFITS what he has.
It is called "Justice".

That's debatable. Granted taking what someone has helps ensure he won't be able to do it again soon, but instead of stealing their land the Jews could have told the UN and tried to get them to stop. Instead you've got two wrongs not making a right. If someone I hate gets into a fight with me, and I win, I don't get to take something of his on top of beating him up.

You got his pride, bet he would have given you something if he knew the outcome.

GC
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
(December 18, 2014 at 8:57 pm)Godschild Wrote: Not only that, there have been ancient cultures that precisely built building several miles apart, completely out of site of each other, and there walls actually lined up with the setting and or rising moon. that is the moon and the walls were in a perfect plane with each other, that's quite a feat, yet what a man discovered was a few years ago is called worthless by some here. Why because they probably couldn't find their way out of the wood at night, just to put it nicely.

GC

Well, that's not a miracle. They knew how to observe the sky and what it told them.

I don't know which man you're refering to and what his discovery is supposed to be.

As for me, I take my chances with your god. Your breed of christianity is only about 800 million strong and even within your group there are disagreements, let alone within the worlds population of about 7 billion. Add to this the fact that the bible is as coherent as a moron on speed, it doesn't exactly add to it's credibility. If you want to argue science being within the bible, it's only make belief and bending some verses that only in your mind make any other kind of sense than what bronze and iron age desert dwellers claimed to know about their environment. By the same token I can bend Nostradamus to make sense. Some do and most people call it for what it is - bullshit.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(December 18, 2014 at 9:07 pm)abaris Wrote:
(December 18, 2014 at 8:57 pm)Godschild Wrote: Not only that, there have been ancient cultures that precisely built building several miles apart, completely out of site of each other, and there walls actually lined up with the setting and or rising moon. that is the moon and the walls were in a perfect plane with each other, that's quite a feat, yet what a man discovered was a few years ago is called worthless by some here. Why because they probably couldn't find their way out of the wood at night, just to put it nicely.

GC

Well, that's not a miracle. They knew how to observe the sky and what it told them.

I don't know which man you're refering to and what his discovery is supposed to be.

As for me, I take my chances with your god. Your breed of christianity is only about 800 million strong and even within your group there are disagreements, let alone within the worlds population of about 7 billion. Add to this the fact that the bible is as coherent as a moron on speed, it doesn't exactly add to it's credibility. If you want to argue science being within the bible, it's only make belief and bending some verses that only in your mind make any other kind of sense than what bronze and iron age desert dwellers claimed to know about their environment. By the same token I can bend Nostradamus to make sense. Some do and most people call it for what it is - bullshit.

Ancient mans evidence of god.

[Image: desert-sunset-232958.jpg]

id buy into god making that if i were a ancient human. But its nature being nature and being beautiful when its not killing us.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
(December 18, 2014 at 8:57 pm)Godschild Wrote: You're not going to look at anything that science might have to show God exists, ...
Apparently I missed this 'scientific proof'. Will you direct me or relay this 'proof"?
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.
-- Superintendent Chalmers

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

Once something's been approved by the government, it's no longer immoral.
-- The Rev Lovejoy
(December 18, 2014 at 9:35 pm)IATIA Wrote:
(December 18, 2014 at 8:57 pm)Godschild Wrote: You're not going to look at anything that science might have to show God exists, ...
Apparently I missed this 'scientific proof'. Will you direct me or relay this 'proof"?

They always fail to provide actual scientific proof.

It's always some creationist claim.
Dying to live, living to die.
Hell, I know that, but sometimes I enjoy giving them the benefit of the doubt and looking to see what pops up, else what is the point in discussing a non-existent deity?

Even creationists have brought up a good point or two about radioactive dating and short of a flat-earther, there is little that is more ridiculous than believing the earth is 6000 years old.
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.
-- Superintendent Chalmers

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

Once something's been approved by the government, it's no longer immoral.
-- The Rev Lovejoy
(December 18, 2014 at 8:57 pm)Godschild Wrote: there have been ancient cultures that precisely built building several miles apart, completely out of site of each other, and there walls actually lined up with the setting and or rising moon. that is the moon and the walls were in a perfect plane with each other, that's quite a feat, yet what a man discovered was a few years ago is called worthless by some here.
GC

Citation and precision needed.
Find the cure for Fundementia!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Jerry Falwell Jnr "not a christian" and wanted to prove himself to not be like Snr GUBU 18 2049 November 1, 2022 at 8:57 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Is there free will in Heaven? zwanzig 54 4704 April 12, 2021 at 1:35 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  GoodFight310 and the visions of Hell Ah_Hyug 0 797 September 20, 2020 at 10:59 pm
Last Post: Ah_Hyug
  On the subject of Hell and Salvation Alternatehistory95 278 30599 March 10, 2019 at 12:09 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Someone I know believes in the Devil but not in Hell Der/die AtheistIn 36 2412 March 9, 2019 at 9:54 pm
Last Post: fredd bear
  On Hell and Forgiveness LadyForCamus 977 92523 October 19, 2018 at 2:53 pm
Last Post: kelseck
  Hello and question about hell Kyro 80 5743 August 11, 2018 at 2:08 pm
Last Post: KevinM1
  Eternity in Heaven - Scary? JairCrawford 47 5920 July 26, 2018 at 2:43 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Pope Francis -- dogs go to Heaven! Jehanne 34 5757 October 19, 2017 at 3:46 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  There is a difference between salvation, and the rewards of Heaven Drich 45 14008 July 31, 2017 at 9:27 am
Last Post: Drich