Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 25, 2024, 11:01 pm

Poll: Closet?
This poll is closed.
Nobody Knows.
21.21%
7 21.21%
Not afraid to be honest.
78.79%
26 78.79%
Total 33 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Are you a "closet" Atheist?
RE: Are you a "closet" Atheist?
I am a forthright atheist. I don't bring up the topic, as I hold personal beliefs to be, well, personal, but if the topic arises I will politely say, "I'm not a believer, thanks", and that's that.

The only time in my life I've lied about my atheism was to my late grandmother, who died in 1996. I let her go to her grave thinking I was still a Southern Baptist -- at least in name -- because I didn't want to give her any angst. I sure didn't like it, and decided to never misstate my views if the topic arose.

Nobody in real life knows I'm an atheist. Everybody knows I don't go to church, but I try to pretend to be a Christian with doubts. My mother would be worried if she knew. My siiblings and their spouses and children are Christians, but I don't think they would care.
I am not a vocal atheist. But if someone asks, I have no problem telling them. And I will sure not let anyone say some stupid shit to me unchallenged.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
I don't bring it up unless asked, and when asked, I don't lie.

My ex-inlaws discovered that I identified as agnostic (i.e. the ex told them) a couple of decades ago. Some of them took the opportunity to give me shit about it. My ex-father-in-law noted "You have to believe in something, or you'll fall for anything." Derp. No small amount of irony in that one, Jim.

My family wouldn't give a rip. It's never come up with them.
(December 28, 2014 at 9:53 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote: I don't bring it up unless asked, and when asked, I don't lie.

My ex-inlaws discovered that I identified as agnostic (i.e. the ex told them) a couple of decades ago. Some of them took the opportunity to give me shit about it. My ex-father-in-law noted "You have to believe in something, or you'll fall for anything." Derp. No small amount of irony in that one, Jim.

My family wouldn't give a rip. It's never come up with them.

Isn't that from some country song?

Nicci's (wife) mom asked her the other day "do you believe in angels?" Que over dramatic conversation on the "benifets of believing".

I won't do it. But I wonder how many people would "unfriend" me on facebook if I posted: I'm an atheist, quit all the religious crap... Oh well, not that hard to ignore.
I reject your reality and substitute my own!
I'm not good at hiding stuff. I started smoking at 14 and only made it a week before I got sick of the secret and lit one up in my parents house. I got an ear full, but I didn't have to hide it anymore.

I don't go around addressing it with a microphone, but the people that I'm close to know, and if they aren't okay with it then I'm happy to kick them out of my life.
(December 28, 2014 at 10:21 pm)Elskidor Wrote: I'm not good at hiding stuff. I started smoking at 14 and only made it a week before I got sick of the secret and lit one up in my parents house. I got an ear full, but I didn't have to hide it anymore.

I don't go around addressing it with a microphone, but the people that I'm close to know, and if they aren't okay with it then I'm happy to kick them out of my life.

This one has some stones. Fair enough.
I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Not really. I'm sure if I was born into a strict southern baptism home it would be much different, but then again I may have turned out heavily brainwashed and on a Jesus forum right now.
My facebook page says Atheist on it. So I guess not.
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]
I announce my non-faith very loudly to everyone I meet on the street. Just following the christian example.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Any ignostics who came out of the closet? Der/die AtheistIn 10 2297 June 3, 2018 at 8:30 pm
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Closet Atheist Coming Out and Telling Family and Friends You're An Atheist Cholley71 10 7196 September 27, 2016 at 1:01 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Are you out of the closet? Mermaid 71 10303 November 23, 2015 at 11:04 am
Last Post: TheoneandonlytrueGod
  Day #3 Out of the Closet FallentoReason 12 3215 December 4, 2012 at 4:41 pm
Last Post: thesummerqueen
  I'm coming out of the closet, wish me luck. Ziploc Surprise 40 14629 February 8, 2012 at 11:26 am
Last Post: Ziploc Surprise
  Coming out of the Atheist closet... Eywa 7 3376 July 31, 2010 at 9:26 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  ‘Out of the Closet’ — Black Atheists leo-rcc 17 8184 June 14, 2009 at 6:27 am
Last Post: LEDO