Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: October 4, 2024, 2:18 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Christians: how do you sleep at night?
RE: Christians: how do you sleep at night?
(February 22, 2015 at 12:14 am)Wiggy Wrote: Jesus died for us.

Nope.
(February 22, 2015 at 12:14 am)Wiggy Wrote: So many damaged and misinformed people here with regards to God and the bible. This must be therepitic for some to God bash. Fact is bible strongly suggests that God loves us. The greatest act of love is self sacrifice for someone. Jesus died for us. You cant accuse God of nothing at judgement day. God offered you eternal life and you refused. Yes there Iis ahell like there is life imprisonment for commiting murder. Reward and punishment is a part of life.

Dying for a few days, then coming back to life is not a sacrifice. Yahweh doesn't think about anyone but himself, and the bible makes that painfully clear. We can accuse him of many things. The least of which is narcissism.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

(February 21, 2015 at 5:15 pm)professor Wrote: Hi Norm,
You have had a gut full of Catholicism?
So did I.
The devil created the Catholic (means - universal) "Church" as a sly way of subverting actual Christianity.
Real Christians were persecuted by the unholy Roman juggernaut and would be killing us today if they could get away with it.
Congratulations for pegging it as it is, however, there are people in there who actually trust Christ rather than all the hocus pocus and lies (had to say this about them).

Prof, seriously, you need to stop getting your 'information' from Chick Tracts.

[Image: 2927_600.png]
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(February 22, 2015 at 12:14 am)Wiggy Wrote: So many damaged and misinformed people here with regards to God and the bible. This must be therepitic for some to God bash. Fact is bible strongly suggests that God loves us. The greatest act of love is self sacrifice for someone. Jesus died for us. You cant accuse God of nothing at judgement day. God offered you eternal life and you refused. Yes there Iis ahell like there is life imprisonment for commiting murder. Reward and punishment is a part of life.

Thinking The bible does and does not suggest that god loves us. Here and there is says he does, but his actions (always a better indicator than words) suggest otherwise.

But the whole thing is irrelevant if there is no god. And for any proposition the default mode, is to assume there isn't. There is no evidence of god. Think otherwise? Let's see the evidence.

Yes, I know Christians believe (at least some of them do) in hell. But the reward and punishment system is rather strange. Hell is reserved for anyone no matter how good who doesn't believe. Heaven for anyone no matter how bad who does. So it's not our morality that's supposed to be rewarded, but our credulity. And it's not our evilness that's supposed to be punished but our rationality. Odd. Frankly, I'm glad the whole scheme is highly improbable. In any case, the real world rewards rationality and punishes credulity. Hence the poverty of most highly religious nations.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
(February 22, 2015 at 12:14 am)Wiggy Wrote: Jesus died for us.

So an immortal pinched off a bit of himself and sent this piece to be subjected to something the god made called death, which all christians agree does not mean death of the soul only of a body that the god made out of mud. After a couple or three days, the god portion goes back to enjoy his immortality with the sky god. Big Sacrifice there!

We humans fear death because we don't know the other side of death, god/jesus knew the other side so it meant nothing. Nothing at all. It would have been no more scary than flying up to god in a whirlwind as was so popular in those days.

[Image: 139.jpg]

[Image: christianity.jpg?w=460&h=388]
Find the cure for Fundementia!

God did not sacrifice himself for us. As others have pointed out, if your god was real then he designed the game of salvation. He made the rules. Doesn't it bother you just a little that your god designed a system where he had to implant himself in a virgin, commit suicide by Roman soldier and be revived to live an eternity being worshipped and adored while those that do not grovel and kiss his butt spend an eternity being punished.

How was Jesus'death a sacrifice when he knew he would become king of everything?
I think you give people too much credit to be upset with them for their silly beliefs. Mankind is in general just not that inquisitive or skeptical, especially when tradition forbids it. We seekers are but lucky to have an itch for understanding that is only matched by the introspection and honesty our natures demand of the research we do.
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
It's like saying an abusive husband really must love you because sometimes he hurts himself instead of you. Or at least, pretends to.

"Ow ow, that really hurt! No, really! I hit me instead of you that time! OK back to you now." *Thwack*
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(February 22, 2015 at 2:41 am)Nestor Wrote: I think you give people too much credit to be upset with them for their silly beliefs.

I agree. They are not really being personal with me by labeling me a human being as a sinner. This is something they have to say regardless of what kind of person I am.
Of course there was never a Jesus, and its embarrassing to even discus it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Christians vs Christians (yec) Fake Messiah 52 9754 January 31, 2019 at 2:08 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep vorlon13 5 1156 April 29, 2018 at 8:07 pm
Last Post: AFTT47
  The benediction at last night's RNC drfuzzy 13 2714 July 21, 2016 at 3:21 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Christians, would you have saved Jesus, if you had he chance? Simon Moon 294 42177 July 2, 2016 at 11:23 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Why do Christians become Christians? SteveII 168 35778 May 20, 2016 at 8:43 pm
Last Post: drfuzzy
  Christians. Prove That You Are Real/True Christians Nope 155 55678 September 1, 2015 at 1:26 pm
Last Post: Pyrrho
  The dog which barked in the night... Jacob(smooth) 11 3978 October 1, 2014 at 5:20 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  The first Christians weren't Bible Christians Phatt Matt s 60 17191 March 26, 2014 at 10:26 am
Last Post: rightcoaster
  Christians, why are you hear (If you want to convert atheists read this) Lemonvariable72 66 19602 September 7, 2013 at 10:36 am
Last Post: max-greece
  Now Christians piss of Christians. leo-rcc 10 10196 December 11, 2010 at 4:02 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris