Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 3:12 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Christians: how do you sleep at night?
Christians: how do you sleep at night?
This has probably already been done to death, but I don't care.

I have a question for all of you Christians out there. How the fuck do you sleep at night? You're subscribing to a religion which bases its survival on people's weaknesses and exploits them. Does that bother you at all, or do you refuse to acknowledge it?

The very idea that you need to baptised before you're a human being is disgusting. We're god's perfect creation, but we're born sick? God is merciful and forgiving, but won't let you into his VIP club in the afterlife if you don't get water poured over your head?
The idea of confession isn't any better. Because the priests are obviously such better people than you, they will listen to all your human little misdeeds and oh so mercifully forgive you. It's sickening.
Religion also enforces the idea of thought crime. That's nothing more but a neat little trick to make people feel even more guilty for something they can't control. Your very thoughts are sinful. It does make a lot of sense, though: if you punish people for thinking, they might stop doing it, eventually.

The question that bugs me is, do all those priests, pastors and bishops really believe the bullshit they're preaching or did they just get a neat deal of deceiving the gullible and making money off of it?
RE: Christians: how do you sleep at night?
Further compounding the sleeplessness would be anxiety resulting from concerns about cherry picking the WRONG scriptures to obey.

"Gee, what if Jesus was right about that . . . ? "
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

How can I be sure my denomination is the right one out of the 40,000?

That must be a grinder.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
"What if that one wasn't a metaphor?"

I'm seriously expecting an answer, though. I really want to know what our resident theists think about that.
"God lied to man in the first book of his own story. What else has he lied about?"
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of my best videos
I have heard stories of people actually not sleeping well at night because they're too worried about hell. It really depends on what part of the bible you're taught, and if you can condition yourself not to care about people outside your group.

Then there's battered wife/stockholm syndrome. When you're told that it's all your fault, you get convinced that your slave master is so generous for any kindness you think he's showing you.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Yes, I've heard of lots of kids scared to death because of hell. It's utterly disgusting and the parents should be ashamed of themselves. No children should have to be worried about imaginary eternal torture. If your parenting skills hinge on this fear tactic, you shouldn't be a parent.

Index of my best videos
(February 21, 2015 at 1:35 pm)Chad32 Wrote: Then there's battered wife/stockholm syndrome. When you're told that it's all your fault, you get convinced that your slave master is so generous for any kindness you think he's showing you.

Been there, done that. It's a part of why I'm so disgusted by it.
Thanks for the thread Norman. I like it.

I was given some pamphlets when I was a kid about Revelation... I had so much anxiety and fear over it. I did have sleepless nights. And my family wasn't really all that religious.
[Image: dc52deee8e6b07186c04ff66a45fd204.jpg]
(February 21, 2015 at 2:00 pm)Kitty Galore Wrote: I was given some pamphlets when I was a kid about Revelation... I had so much anxiety and fear over it. I did have sleepless nights. And my family wasn't really all that religious.

When I was a kid, I had religious education in school. A nun showed us a documentary about satanists, which involved many bloody details about body mutilations and other gory rituals.
Couldn't sleep for a week.

And it's not an isolated case. I've been fed many stories to purposely induce fear about things the catholic church didn't like.
You know your arguments are poor when you have to resort to threatening children into your doctrine.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Christians vs Christians (yec) Fake Messiah 52 7833 January 31, 2019 at 2:08 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep vorlon13 5 993 April 29, 2018 at 8:07 pm
Last Post: AFTT47
  The benediction at last night's RNC drfuzzy 13 2333 July 21, 2016 at 3:21 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Christians, would you have saved Jesus, if you had he chance? Simon Moon 294 34435 July 2, 2016 at 11:23 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Why do Christians become Christians? SteveII 168 31254 May 20, 2016 at 8:43 pm
Last Post: drfuzzy
  Christians. Prove That You Are Real/True Christians Nope 155 51186 September 1, 2015 at 1:26 pm
Last Post: Pyrrho
  The dog which barked in the night... Jacob(smooth) 11 3601 October 1, 2014 at 5:20 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  The first Christians weren't Bible Christians Phatt Matt s 60 15810 March 26, 2014 at 10:26 am
Last Post: rightcoaster
  Christians, why are you hear (If you want to convert atheists read this) Lemonvariable72 66 18562 September 7, 2013 at 10:36 am
Last Post: max-greece
  Now Christians piss of Christians. leo-rcc 10 9946 December 11, 2010 at 4:02 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris