Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 29, 2024, 2:21 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What were Jesus and early Christians like?
RE: What were Jesus and early Christians like?
Imagine what fundamentalists were like back then...

Or maybe there wasn't any other kind.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(March 2, 2015 at 9:08 pm)abaris Wrote:
(March 2, 2015 at 8:57 pm)Godschild Wrote: Drich has already taken care of this little bit of your propaganda.

GC

And what an autority on history Drich is. He only comes second to Mel Gibson.

Drich's Authority comes in the way of the reference material he quotes. This is in contrast to your basless dismissals.
(March 3, 2015 at 9:51 am)robvalue Wrote: Imagine what fundamentalists were like back then...

Sometimes I wonder if Christianity started as an esoteric, gnostic Jewish religion, but gradually more and more people took the stories literally instead of symbolically. The people that misunderstood the gospels to be literal became the proto-orthodox, and they declared the original esoteric understanding of Christianity to be a heresy.

This idea goes well with the mythicist claim that Jesus was entirely fiction. Unfortunately, there seems to be a good argument for a historical Jesus.

So I don't know. Smile
(March 3, 2015 at 10:03 am)Drich Wrote: Drich's Authority comes in the way of the reference material he quotes. This is in contrast to your basless dismissals.

Yeah, sorry for not posting my library and my university degree in history.

Wikipedia and the bible are far more reliable, I'm sure.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(March 3, 2015 at 10:08 am)watchamadoodle Wrote: Sometimes I wonder if Christianity started as an esoteric, gnostic Jewish religion, but gradually more and more people took the stories literally instead of symbolically. The people that misunderstood the gospels to be literal became the proto-orthodox, and they declared the original esoteric understanding of Christianity to be a heresy.

This idea goes well with the mythicist claim that Jesus was entirely fiction. Unfortunately, there seems to be a good argument for a historical Jesus.

So I don't know. Smile
I feel the same way. The earliest Christian works seem to paint a celestial Christ who in recent history appeared as the Logos incarnate and triumphed over bodily death, though with only a few scattered references to an earthly existence and a great deal of emphasis on past and future apocalyptic events in the heavenly realms. Then comes the biographical narrative adapting a list of earlier composed wisdom sayings and oral teachings that some have suggested were only branded by Christians in Jesus' name. Then comes Matthew and Luke-Acts, written probably 15-25 years later, putting Jesus' life story in the contexts of Judaism and Rome, respectively, with many more mythological additions. Near the end of the century we have the Johannine community responsible for John's Gospel, his namesake's epistles, and Revelation, all clearly influenced by Gnosticism, though expanding on the concepts that both the earlier epistles and biographies elucidated separately.

Where's James and Jude generally placed on the timeline? Pseudo-Paul, 1 Peter? I think 2 Peter and the Pastorals are late first century, early second century.

We also have to consider that there were thousands and thousands of books in the ancient world that we don't have anymore.
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
(March 3, 2015 at 10:57 am)Nestor Wrote: I feel the same way. The earliest Christian works seem to paint a celestial Christ who in recent history appeared as the Logos incarnate and triumphed over bodily death, though with only a few scattered references to an earthly existence and a great deal of emphasis on past and future apocalyptic events in the heavenly realms. Then comes the biographical narrative adapting a list of earlier composed wisdom sayings and oral teachings that some have suggested were only branded by Christians in Jesus' name. Then comes Matthew and Luke-Acts, written probably 15-25 years later, putting Jesus' life story in the contexts of Judaism and Rome, respectively, with many more mythological additions. Near the end of the century we have the Johannine community responsible for John's Gospel, his namesake's epistles, and Revelation, all clearly influenced by Gnosticism, though expanding on the concepts that both the earlier epistles and biographies elucidated separately.

If we start with a Celestial Christ that only later becomes grounded in a historical context by way of an oral tradition and, later still, the Synoptic Gospels, would you say that 'John's' Jesus -- pre-existing Logos and earthly ministry -- represents a sort of compromise meant perhaps to resolve the tensions between those earlier traditions? Or do you think the Johannine view is another strand entirely in this tangled braid?
(March 3, 2015 at 10:08 am)watchamadoodle Wrote:
(March 3, 2015 at 9:51 am)robvalue Wrote: Imagine what fundamentalists were like back then...

Sometimes I wonder if Christianity started as an esoteric, gnostic Jewish religion, but gradually more and more people took the stories literally instead of symbolically. The people that misunderstood the gospels to be literal became the proto-orthodox, and they declared the original esoteric understanding of Christianity to be a heresy.

So I don't know. Smile

Pretty sure the original authors didn't want people to take the bible literally in the first place. So i guess you can blame ignorance on the fact that people follow it literally like the flood myth. I am also pretty sure they didn't want people taking that part literally either because you know common sense. Big Grin
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
(March 3, 2015 at 12:00 pm)dyresand Wrote: Pretty sure the original authors didn't want people to take the bible literally in the first place.

Where did you get that idea?
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
(March 3, 2015 at 12:09 pm)FatAndFaithless Wrote:
(March 3, 2015 at 12:00 pm)dyresand Wrote: Pretty sure the original authors didn't want people to take the bible literally in the first place.

Where did you get that idea?

The fact being the bible is too contradictory and the only way to make it comprehend able is to cherry pick it to hell. The original writers and the people who wrote in the bible contradicted one another's stories. Even still one would think not to take it literal in the first place. Because really 2 of every animal on a boat for a year with no explanation of how they would eat same goes with the people. Also the animals willing getting on the ark and also crap loads of crap they would need to clean out every pen the animals had. Then the other part with the firmament okay the water came from the sky flooded everything they are on a boat i am no scientist when i say its complete bullshit for all that water to evaporate in a year. And the boat is physically impossible to build because Bill said it best and even ship wrights the boat would have broken apart because of its massive size. So the water, food, shit, boat and the only answer is magic...
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
(March 3, 2015 at 12:40 pm)dyresand Wrote:
(March 3, 2015 at 12:09 pm)FatAndFaithless Wrote: Where did you get that idea?

The fact being the bible is too contradictory and the only way to make it comprehend able is to cherry pick it to hell. The original writers and the people who wrote in the bible contradicted one another's stories. Even still one would think not to take it literal in the first place. Because really 2 of every animal on a boat for a year with no explanation of how they would eat same goes with the people. Also the animals willing getting on the ark and also crap loads of crap they would need to clean out every pen the animals had. Then the other part with the firmament okay the water came from the sky flooded everything they are on a boat i am no scientist when i say its complete bullshit for all that water to evaporate in a year. And the boat is physically impossible to build because Bill said it best and even ship wrights the boat would have broken apart because of its massive size. So the water, food, shit, boat and the only answer is magic...

I am aware of the absurdities of biblical claims. I'm asking how you know that the creators of the bible didn't intend for their words to be read literally, when in the bible it claims that it is the inspired word of God.
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why do conservative theologians prefer early dating of documents? LinuxGal 3 869 December 9, 2022 at 6:53 pm
Last Post: brewer
  If you knew for certain that you were going to Hell zwanzig 32 3161 March 9, 2021 at 8:48 pm
Last Post: Ryantology
  Sinning, as Jesus and the church say, is good. Turn or burn Christians. Greatest I am 71 5829 October 20, 2020 at 9:11 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  How do Christians imagine 2nd coming of Jesus? Fake Messiah 39 3841 September 15, 2020 at 11:01 am
Last Post: Rhizomorph13
  Christians vs Christians (yec) Fake Messiah 52 8118 January 31, 2019 at 2:08 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Truer Words Were Never Spoken Minimalist 9 2584 April 23, 2018 at 8:39 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Jesus : The Early years chimp3 139 23052 April 1, 2018 at 1:40 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Paul's "persecution" of the early Christians? Jehanne 134 15140 February 22, 2018 at 8:13 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more. vorlon13 14 3150 August 1, 2017 at 2:54 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Hi, I would like to tell you about Jesus Christ, the only way to God JacquelineDeane55 78 21437 June 10, 2017 at 9:46 am
Last Post: Fireball