Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 30, 2024, 8:47 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tories and Daily Mail hit new low
RE: Tories and Daily Mail hit new low
Quote:Baffling

I personally don't know anyone who gives a flying fuck about them but the media keeps pushing this shit out as if we do.
I'd be more skeptical of this news, for two reasons:

1) It's not particularly "new" news; the tories have campaigned for years to scrap the Human Rights Act...and replace it with a "British Bill of Rights". They aren't going to get rid of legislation without putting something in its place; the main grief they have with the Human Rights Act is that it's controlled by the EU, and there are several British laws which violate it already anyway (restricting prisoners from voting, for example).

2) These are the conservatives which are led by a man who pushed for gay marriage to be legalised, and won that vote. I'm not saying David Cameron is a civil rights hero, but he's not an outright villain either.
(May 11, 2015 at 4:01 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:Baffling

I personally don't know anyone who gives a flying fuck about them but the media keeps pushing this shit out as if we do.

It's the same over here, but then people do start to care because it's beaten into them relentlessly

I was hoping maybe American royal worship was a sub-conscious desire to be back under the boot of your former colonial masters but ah well
“The larger the group, the more toxic, the more of your beauty as an individual you have to surrender for the sake of group thought. And when you suspend your individual beauty you also give up a lot of your humanity. You will do things in the name of a group that you would never do on your own. Injuring, hurting, killing, drinking are all part of it, because you've lost your identity, because you now owe your allegiance to this thing that's bigger than you are and that controls you.”  - George Carlin
The Daily Mail is pretty rubbish, it's not the absolute worst (leave that to "The Sun") but it has a knack for misrepresentation especially. I don't actually believe anything I read in it until I check it elsewhere. (My wife buys it, and can't explain why!)

The main problem I have with "human rights" is that the rights of criminals seem to be pandered to endlessly, often at the expense of the rights of victims.

Also, just fucking mental stuff. I think we should have speed cameras everywhere, at the moment we only have them where clearly indicated, so people just slow down, go through them, then speed off again. Apparently having them randomly and unmarked would be "against human rights". What right is that? The right to break the law, drive like a dick and not be accountable?
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(May 11, 2015 at 5:27 pm)robvalue Wrote: Also, just fucking mental stuff. I think we should have speed cameras everywhere, at the moment we only have them where clearly indicated, so people just slow down, go through them, then speed off again. Apparently having them randomly and unmarked would be "against human rights". What right is that? The right to break the law, drive like a dick and not be accountable?

If it's an accident black spot and they put a camera and a sign up and everyone slows down then it's achieved it's purpose.

Far better that everyone slows down at an accident black spot compared to more people speeding and needing to be fined.
They could achieve both, keep the obvious ones and then use random ones as well.

If people knew they could be caught anywhere, they'd actually have to stick to the speed limit.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of my best videos
(May 11, 2015 at 5:27 pm)robvalue Wrote: The Daily Mail is pretty rubbish

I loved this song by Russell Howard: The Daily Mail Cancer Song

Sum ergo sum
Haha nice Smile

It's always the same, there's a ridiculous caveat.

"Brushing your teeth could cause cancer." It doesn't, but it could.

"Studies show there may be a link between eating apples and exploding."

In other words, we're writing whatever ridiculous crap we want and justifying it with ambiguous language. It's particularly obvious when suddenly a study shows something "may be good for you" that they said "may cause cancer" the day before.

Index of my best videos
(May 11, 2015 at 4:03 pm)Tiberius Wrote: 2) These are the conservatives which are led by a man who pushed for gay marriage to be legalised, and won that vote. I'm not saying David Cameron is a civil rights hero, but he's not an outright villain either.

And at the same time he has tripled university fees and rolled back social security. From a European perspective he's a despicable little man who does everything for a vote.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
Since human rights do not exist I don't oppose this position - The ECHR is just a form for international organizations to control States trough the imposition of an absolute morality based on eternal human sin. There is no such thing as universal human rights, and the declaration is a bunch of bullshit starting with the first article. This is the DM so it's not exactly reliable for any major event happening on earth right now, but even if it was true it does not mean people will lose rights, it means the European court for Human Rights cannot force the UK to abide by those idealistic principles. Among other things, it means that the UK can bring back the death penalty or even deport immigrants, both European and non-European
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  FB app hit by low ratings Foxaèr 3 615 June 10, 2021 at 5:14 pm
Last Post: WinterHold
  A Trumpy mail carrier threw out ballots...literally Dingo 13 986 October 19, 2020 at 3:28 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Middle School Hit List Foxaèr 24 2822 April 24, 2019 at 8:46 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  A Saudi hit and run criminal breaks his electric ankle bracelet and flees America WinterHold 22 2918 April 15, 2019 at 3:34 pm
Last Post: WinterHold
  How Low Can the GOP/POTUS go? OP/ED Brian37 15 1049 March 29, 2019 at 5:10 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Saudi Arabia: The Saudi hit squad linked to the Khashoggi murder WinterHold 9 1465 March 22, 2019 at 11:55 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Possible cat 4 to hit my area Thurs. Brian37 136 11880 September 23, 2018 at 12:34 pm
Last Post: Joods
  Bill Daily dead at 91 Foxaèr 1 373 September 10, 2018 at 4:36 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Saudi group posts photo of plane about to hit Toronto's CN tower... ReptilianPeon 17 2653 August 10, 2018 at 4:59 pm
Last Post: ReptilianPeon
  I Wonder When The Bar Will Get Low Enough For The Deplorables to Get In? Minimalist 12 1372 May 17, 2018 at 4:19 pm
Last Post: Whateverist