Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: October 5, 2024, 6:27 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What do you think about Eugenics?
RE: What do you think about Eugenics?
Quote:This isn't just aimed at Americans, or rich people.  Although I agree that the west uses too many resources, that is tied right into our entitlement issues, which go hand in hand with this freedom to screw up the world notion so many westerners have.

And hey, poor people might have a bit more money if they didn't have 6 to 20 kids.  Yes, I'm being a bastard, but it's true.  Giving them the option to have less children, and a financial incentive to boot, as someone else suggested, might help lift them out of poverty.  Did you consider that?  I'm very poor by american standards (because I'm disabled) so I chose voluntary sterilization after just one child.  Because of just one child, we have been able to slowly improve our lives. If I'd continued to have more children, I expect I'd be one of the unwashed masses, as you say, by now.
The goal is now to make the poor richer, rather than alleviate some future resource scarcity issue? Granted, if  -insert long list of shit- were different, then -long list of shit- would be different.   As it stands, in this world....where that long list of shit aint different...there's no linear progression between number of children per household and resource consumption by ratio or resource consumption rate.    

Those societies with the fewest children per household consume the largest portion of our resources, at the greatest rates (which is, plainly, what it means to be wealthy or affluent in the first place....not sure why you'd want to increase that if you wanted to decrease the rate of resource consumption).

This is why it would be unreasonable, even though it seems intuitively true that fewer people means less consumption, to expect a reduction of children per household to reflect itself as a reduction of resource consumption or consumtion rates. We here in the US, for example....without any monetary giveaways, without forced sterilization, without child limits, -with education-...have dipped below the replacement rate...we have done what you're suggesting, we have limited our average number of children per household to a number less than 2....
-and yet.......

(you might want to calm down with telling the poor that they ought to stop breeding because they're poor..btw..it may sound like great advice to you, but it probably isn't. Won't motivate them either, lol, we love kids more than we love money...dontcha know? Might also want to come to terms with the fact that if we're going to talk about the cost, potential and actual, of having a child - then we're pricing all but a select few out of the child making business.)

I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Eugenics to a point can get rid of diseases but even then it would be a of ethical issue.
Instead of doing that we could work on a way to repair our dna and even find a way to shut down the bad parts of it
and or replace them would be the better options.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
(May 29, 2015 at 12:52 pm)Twisted Wrote: I was thinking that according to evolution eugenics might not be a wrong thing to do but I've always been against it,i think that every human is unique and has his own place in this world so its a wrong practice

This topic is tricky.  There are logical and emotional needs to address.   Logically it makes perfect sense. We are the first animal that can control its adjustments to fits certain needs.   Emotional? how do we decide?  So, for now, I choose to do nothing until we can handle it.  Hopefully we make AI first and evolve using that path. 
anti-logical Fallacies of Ambiguity
(June 11, 2015 at 7:35 am)comet Wrote: Hopefully we make AI first and evolve using that path. 

Can anybody say "HAL" or "SkyNet" or "Cylon"? Diablo
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.
-- Superintendent Chalmers

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

Once something's been approved by the government, it's no longer immoral.
-- The Rev Lovejoy
(June 11, 2015 at 9:50 pm)IATIA Wrote:
(June 11, 2015 at 7:35 am)comet Wrote: Hopefully we make AI first and evolve using that path. 

Can anybody say "HAL" or "SkyNet" or "Cylon"?   Diablo

It is not merely a worry in fiction.  Some of the smartest people in the world are seriously concerned about it.  See:

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-30290540

http://www.wired.com/2015/01/ai-arrived-...est-minds/

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.
(June 12, 2015 at 11:19 am)Pyrrho Wrote:
(June 11, 2015 at 9:50 pm)IATIA Wrote: Can anybody say "HAL" or "SkyNet" or "Cylon"?   Diablo

It is not merely a worry in fiction.  Some of the smartest people in the world are seriously concerned about it.  See:

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-30290540

http://www.wired.com/2015/01/ai-arrived-...est-minds/

For A.I. to work, it must be free thinking else it is not intelligent and therefore simply a computer, nothing more than garbage in, garbage out.
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

-- The Rev Lovejoy
That's quite the hurdle, since we haven't established that -we- are "free-thinking" .....or even a sensible understanding of what that term is supposed to mean....don't you think?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(June 18, 2015 at 7:21 pm)Rhythm Wrote: That's quite the hurdle, since we haven't established that -we- are "free-thinking" .....or even a sensible understanding of what that term is supposed to mean....don't you think?

Free-thinking in the aspect of being able to arrive at conclusions that were not specifically programmed into the machine, i.e., learn, abstract thought, problem solving.
-- Homer Simpson

-- Ned Flanders

-- The Rev Lovejoy
Again......I think you'll have to demonstrate that those things weren't programmed into us.......
(did you know that it's not actually the programming that does any of that stuff in a computer? That's all -built- into the hardware. The programming just tells the hardware what components to use, and when. Programming is just an intermediary between human and machine language.)
Let me try some different wording. The ability to acquire and use new information in different ways than previously done. In a computer, it is only able to do what the programming and hardware allows. It cannot rewrite its OS or subroutines. The brain is always 'rewriting' itself based on the neural connections and collected memories.
-- Homer Simpson

-- Ned Flanders

-- The Rev Lovejoy

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Editing the "germ line" with CRISPR AKA "eugenics" Duty 9 1286 March 26, 2020 at 3:00 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  We must de-stigmatize eugenics Alexmahone 62 7863 August 17, 2018 at 5:29 pm
Last Post: Joods
  Eugenics/Designer-babies... is the concept really that bad? Aoi Magi 112 13689 August 16, 2017 at 6:13 pm
Last Post: Mermaid
  Do you think we could/will ever have two dominant[prime] species? Heat 11 3714 November 21, 2015 at 9:12 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  Do you think there is a 'shadow biosphere'? ReptilianPeon 23 7823 July 30, 2015 at 11:18 am
Last Post: Alex K
  What do you think of GMO's? TaraJo 72 9501 January 4, 2015 at 2:09 pm
Last Post: CapnAwesome
  Do you think we will ever know what causes Homosexuality pop_punks_not_dead 45 13568 February 8, 2014 at 11:48 pm
Last Post: là bạn điên
  Eugenics EgoRaptor 18 3565 January 29, 2014 at 10:45 am
Last Post: houseofcantor