Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 18, 2024, 8:53 am

Poll: Ethanasia; a basic human right?
This poll is closed.
Agree
91.18%
31 91.18%
Disagree
8.82%
3 8.82%
Undecided
0%
0 0%
Total 34 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thoughts on euthanasia
RE: Thoughts on euthanasia
Sure, establishing the legality of euthanasia is going to bring out some issues, but that's true for virtually anything becoming legalised.

And as has been argued, it should be performed only with consent from a terminally ill patient who does not suffer from any mental condition making them unable to give that consent. The doctors wouldn't just get to pick and choose who lives and who dies, that's insane.
Greene: Sure, but in such a scenario couldn't they just push through this basic Euthenasia plus whatever else they wanted anyway? If maniacs are writing the rules we are doomed, no matter what the state is when they get in.

I'm not sure it's a valid counter argument to particular points. But then I fully admit I'm not up on legal matters so I could be being naive.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(June 12, 2015 at 10:04 am)robvalue Wrote: Greene: Sure, but in such a scenario couldn't they just push through this basic Euthenasia plus whatever else they wanted anyway? If maniacs are writing the rules we are doomed, no matter what the state is when they get in.

I'm not sure it's a valid counter argument to particular points. But then I fully admit I'm not up on legal matters so I could be being naive.

If bad people are making the rules, one will tend to have bad rules.  Yes, that is true, but is irrelevant to the discussion, just as you say.

Right now, there isn't a proper mechanism in place (in most countries) for how to deal with this issue.  And that means that people act in ways that are not in accordance with good rules, as they don't have good rules to follow.

Quite frankly, I have no problems with people being kept alive suffering, IF THAT IS WHAT THEY WANT.  But I do have a problem with that being forced on people who don't want it.  People should have a choice for themselves, and there should be a mechanism in place to deal with that.  For example, there should be a form one fills out when one enters the hospital, when one gets a driver's liscence, when one files one's tax forms, or some other such way to get people's preferences, in writing, preferably long before it is needed, so that not only are the individual's rights respected, they can be known to be gathered before there is any mental deterioration that might make the person unfit to make such decisions.  Then the doctors should be required by law to honor the written preferences of the individual.

I say, people should have a choice on such things, and I wish that everyone who does not want to allow people to make a choice for themselves would just fucking die immediately, as we do not need fascist asshole sadists torturing others.  If you want to live suffering as long as possible, fine, but do not try to force your will on my life.

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.
(June 12, 2015 at 11:53 am)Pyrrho Wrote:
(June 12, 2015 at 10:04 am)robvalue Wrote: Greene: Sure, but in such a scenario couldn't they just push through this basic Euthenasia plus whatever else they wanted anyway? If maniacs are writing the rules we are doomed, no matter what the state is when they get in.

If bad people are making the rules, one will tend to have bad rules.  Yes, that is true, but is irrelevant to the discussion, just as you say.

Right now, there isn't a proper mechanism in place (in most countries) for how to deal with this issue.  And that means that people act in ways that are not in accordance with good rules, as they don't have good rules to follow.

Quite frankly, I have no problems with people being kept alive suffering, IF THAT IS WHAT THEY WANT.  But I do have a problem with that being forced on people who don't want it.  People should have a choice for themselves, and there should be a mechanism in place to deal with that.  For example, there should be a form one fills out when one enters the hospital, when one gets a driver's liscence, when one files one's tax forms, or some other such way to get people's preferences, in writing, preferably long before it is needed, so that not only are the individual's rights respected, they can be known to be gathered before there is any mental deterioration that might make the person unfit to make such decisions.  Then the doctors should be required by law to honor the written preferences of the individual.

I say, people should have a choice on such things, and I wish that everyone who does not want to allow people to make a choice for themselves would just fucking die immediately, as we do not need fascist asshole sadists torturing others.  If you want to live suffering as long as possible, fine, but do not try to force your will on my life.

sums it up rather nicely.  let the friggen family decide for themselves.
anti-logical Fallacies of Ambiguity
(June 10, 2015 at 7:31 pm)Yeauxleaux Wrote:
(June 10, 2015 at 10:34 am)comet Wrote: mine died in the year 2000. Not a day goes by without a thought of him.  And believe me when he told us "you people are keeping me alive for you." I understood what he meant.  I'da done him myself.  While it was fresh, I kept one thing of his that reminds me of him.  It was his handshake.  If I close my eyes and think I can feel it to this day.  

hang in there guy.  As you go on, look around for the reminders of him.  they can't reliably repeat them, but people report them all the time. Heck, if it works in QM it can work in easing the transition for you. 

The weirdest thing is that it keeps slipping my mind actually, then I'll think something like "oh I'll ask Dad what he thinks" and then it'll hit me again, I can't ask him. That's the worst bit.

I'm trying to look out for my Nana though, losing your child is every parents' worst nightmare I imagine.

I still find myself thinking "oh I'll ask Dad what he thinks." My dad died in 1998.
(June 11, 2015 at 7:39 am)Mr Greene Wrote: I also have to vote against legalising euthanasia.
My line of thinking is 'what happens when the legislation is written by the BNP or UKIP?'
Will it become legal to have people euthanised for being the wrong ethnic group, sexuality, or not believing in the state religion?

I don't think anyone here is advocating allowing others to euthanize healthy people, but to allow the terminally ill to decide for themselves. Personally, given a no hope fatal situation, I want the choice and I want to be able to have my loved ones with me when I go (for those who could handle it). Under current laws, if I gather my family around me and overdose on narcotics, they will most likely me investigated, possibly even prosecuted for accessory to murder, even if I managed to secure the drugs without their help. Simply attending a suicide in most jurisdictions is a crime. But, we can all gather together to watch mom/dad/grandma/grandpa suffer for days, weeks, even months.

Sure, some could be coerced into a suicide they don't really want, but under current law, many are coerced into unneeded suffering to protect their loved ones.
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.
(June 12, 2015 at 9:28 am)Mr Greene Wrote:
(June 11, 2015 at 7:50 am)robvalue Wrote: Well, even if they do get into power, they can't just rewrite stuff to be whatever they want. I wouldn't expect them to receive enough backing to do something as ridiculous as that.

1) I would point out the difference between improbable and impossible.

2) Once in power with a majority that is precisely what they can do, they could even bypass the House of Lords with current legislation.

Just because you don't expect such a situation to occur doesn't mean that such an eventuality should not be planned for.

If insane people get into office with a majority, it won't matter what sane laws are already on the books. If there's nothing already there for them to twist, they will simply move ahead anyway.

As long as we have a reasonable society, the truly insane won't make it into positions of power. If society falls apart to the point that they can, you're fucked no matter what.
(June 13, 2015 at 5:00 pm)Thackerie Wrote:
(June 10, 2015 at 7:31 pm)Yeauxleaux Wrote: The weirdest thing is that it keeps slipping my mind actually, then I'll think something like "oh I'll ask Dad what he thinks" and then it'll hit me again, I can't ask him. That's the worst bit.

I'm trying to look out for my Nana though, losing your child is every parents' worst nightmare I imagine.

I still find myself thinking "oh I'll ask Dad what he thinks." My dad died in 1998.

Mom died in 2006 and I still do it too. It get easier and less frequent, but I'm beginning to wonder if it ever stops.
This legislation exists. In Oregon and Washington, the Death with Dignity Act was passed in 1993, showing it is possible to get the language correct.

Quote:Although Oregon’s groundbreaking law remains widely popular, the occurrence of a hastened death is relatively rare, averaging just more than 44 hastened deaths per year over a 15-year span.

In 2012, the most recent year for which we have an annual statistical report, terminally ill patients who died after ingesting medication under the Act accounted for 0.2 percent of all deaths in Oregon. The top three concerns patients expressed to their attending physicians when requesting medication under the Act reflect the patients’ desire to maintain control over their final days. Of the end-of-life concerns expressed, the least common was “financial implications of treatment.”

Reviewing 15 years of data in the aggregate, 1,050 terminally ill patients have received prescriptions, and 673 of these patients have ingested the prescribed medications to hasten their deaths, while 377 chose not to. Over 15 years, only 2 percent of the people who used the law did not have insurance coverage. In 2012, excluding those few for which insurance status was unknown, all of the participants were covered by some form of insurance.

http://www.americanbar.org/publications/...y_act.html
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
(June 13, 2015 at 5:00 pm)Thackerie Wrote:
(June 10, 2015 at 7:31 pm)Yeauxleaux Wrote: The weirdest thing is that it keeps slipping my mind actually, then I'll think something like "oh I'll ask Dad what he thinks" and then it'll hit me again, I can't ask him. That's the worst bit.

yeah, I agree, it is weird that Yeauxleaux is thinking that. But I understand the tactic of minimizing, or trying to strike a nerve, to get off of the observations that counters the safety net of one's world view.

Many of us carry lessons from our parents from our childhood that help us through our adult life. I can't ask him, he's dead. But he was a good man so many of my choices lead directly back to my upbringing. On many levels this is a valid claim.

I used a real life example of where euthanasia would have been clearly acceptable. The "innocent victim" of "being forced" to live under somebody's else outlook on the gift of life because flat out fear as the real base of what amounts to a baseless opinion( s) was my pop. My dad and I understood what and why he wanted to be left alone. He understood what he wanted. What better way to preserve his last act of being his type man (a ww2 paratrooper) then him exiting stage left on his own two legs. Instead, I was forced, by others, to hold him down while looking straight into his eyes, he was still very lucid during this process, as his lungs could not provide enough oxygen and he went comatose. He was saying " let me up, let me up, "comet" I am x years old and I need to catch my breath".

Thanks for the memory, you ignorant sleepers.

so, the question becomes what is am acceptable failure rate? how many "murders" vs. how many regular people helping loved on pass as comfortable as possible? Lucky I am such a jerk, that could have haunted me for years instead of months. I'll never forget his eyes, I mean we were nose to nose, He was looking into the abyss. I hope I handle at well as he did. But damn, I do wish we brushed his teeth that day.
anti-logical Fallacies of Ambiguity

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Your thoughts on John Gray? Foxaèr 12 3248 May 14, 2018 at 9:39 pm
Last Post: brewer
  What are your thoughts on Richard Dawkins? NuclearEnergy 96 13544 December 6, 2017 at 3:06 am
Last Post: Bow Before Zeus
  Atheists, what are your thoughts on us Agnostics? NuclearEnergy 116 27972 November 30, 2017 at 12:09 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Thoughts On Atheism and Faith ray3400 107 13219 October 12, 2016 at 4:35 pm
Last Post: henryp
  Thoughts Torin 2 1042 August 18, 2016 at 2:38 pm
Last Post: purplepurpose
  My thoughts on deepak chopra dyresand 4 1552 October 24, 2015 at 8:29 pm
Last Post: Darkstar
  Your thoughts on Satanism and the petition for a Satanic statue. Catholic_Lady 373 58550 September 24, 2015 at 12:17 pm
Last Post: Deepthunk
  Thoughts on origins Kingpin 54 8672 August 12, 2015 at 8:23 am
Last Post: ErGingerbreadMandude
  thoughts on morality Kingpin 16 6180 July 29, 2015 at 11:49 am
Last Post: Pyrrho
  Thoughts on this apologetic Hungry Hungry Hippo 35 9597 July 20, 2015 at 6:12 pm
Last Post: Cato