Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 10, 2024, 2:45 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ask one of Jehovah's Witnesses
RE: Ask one of Jehovah's Witnesses
(June 15, 2015 at 11:54 pm)Rhythm Wrote: I think it's quaint and heartwarming that you feel that JW's have made a break from pagan beliefs.   JW's fellow christians think they have as well, and strongly disagree with the notion that -JW's- have.  Again, I think that this is silly.  You're both arguing your doctrines, rather than fact...and quite frankly, neither of you are on friendly terms with facts.  The defensive believer in you desperately needs to make this about me.

It isn't, I haven't been saying these things, you have.  Own the conversation that you chose to have.  -All of you- are indebted to your pagan forebearers.  There's no break.  Without the pagan influence you wouldn't even recognize your own religions.  They would seem as alien to all of you as judaism -already seems- to all of you.  Understand?  Your polytheistic arianism is somehow better or less pagan than their monotheistic trinitarianism?  Do you have any idea how ridiculous that sounds to anyone who was -not- raised as a JW?  Are we really already at the point where everything you've been taught is useless, that your only response to me is "oh yeah, well you're -x-"?  Why is that?  Why did the people who gave you the answers leave you so unprepared against even the most gentle of resistance?

So quit saying that I'm just wrong because you said so and its so sad that I don't know I am wrong and can you believe that I actually believe that I am right because I am so wrong because you said so, yes that was supposed to be as incoherent as your sentences, and give me some examples? Calling me a polytheist only proves that you can take a definition and find a broad definition to fit what JW's believe. And you can't say we subscribe to arianism because we do recognize Jesus as a divine being, just not the almighty.

Anyone who subscribes to cynicism like yourself but thinks its skepticism can never acknowledge when they're wrong. They can never admit to any good in the thing they detest because then they'll have to know that their little of house of cards like reasoning is too flimsy for their small thinking. So again, how do you rope me into these replies? I put you on my ignore list but I still get your messages somehow
(June 14, 2015 at 10:39 pm)nicanica123 Wrote: I guess thats true if you believe that if they're not 100% right about everything then they have to be 100% wrong. I just don't believe that is worth it to view anything that way.
That's not what I believe, especially since I'm not religious and do not expect perfection from people. Any person or cause worth following or being associated with will have its good and bad qualities. In just about every other facet of our lives, we understand this and weigh these issues when making decisions. It is religion itself that demands standards that people either cannot reach or are not interested in trying to reach.

In other words, "100% right or wrong" is the organization's view, not mine. If their belief system allowed for them to be as wrong as they have been, they would embrace their past. They hide so much of it because it would hurt the efforts to gain new converts; there is only so much people will accept under the umbrella of "we are fallible men." In this, they're not really any different from most (if not all) other religious groups; trying to have it both ways (pointing out the flaws in other religions as a sign that they lack divine support, then hiding or excusing their own flaws). It is one of the ways in which religion hurts society as a whole, leveraging confirmation bias to its fullest extent to keep people in line.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
(May 31, 2015 at 11:59 pm)vorlon13 Wrote: FWIW, I think the Jehovah's Witnesses are much less nutso than the Mormons.  Do Mormons seem especially nutso to Jehovah's Witnesses, or are all other religions pretty much equally whacky ??

Oh, but funeral potatoes! Nom!!
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
Nicanica,
The powers and influence over humans you ascribe to the Devil are godlike. In fact, The Devil is described as much more powerful than Hades was imagined to have been and Hades is clearly considered a god in Greek mythology. Just because you have chosen sides doesn't mean The Devil is any less of a God.
Quote:So quit saying that I'm just wrong because you said so and its so sad that I don't know I am wrong and can you believe that I actually believe that I am right because I am so wrong because you said so, yes that was supposed to be as incoherent as your sentences, and give me some examples? Calling me a polytheist only proves that you can take a definition and find a broad definition to fit what JW's believe. And you can't say we subscribe to arianism because we do recognize Jesus as a divine being, just not the almighty. 

Anyone who subscribes to cynicism like yourself but thinks its skepticism can never acknowledge when they're wrong. They can never admit to any good in the thing they detest because then they'll have to know that their little of house of cards like reasoning is too flimsy for their small thinking. So again, how do you rope me into these replies? I put you on my ignore list but I still get your messages somehow
The difference between judaism and christianity is the pagan influence of hellenization. This isn't only true for catholics (a favorite target of your ranting ire), it is true -of christianity- as a whole. I don't think that's a problem (which is why your responses to me are so amusing), the way that you think trinitarianism is a problem, for example.....the only problem that I see is your inability to own the claims -you- make.

You being wrong about something has more to do with your say so than my say so.   Mull that one over for awhile.  Now I'm a cynic?  The hits keeps coming. Perhaps you haven't noticed that you've been called to task on the things -you- say regarding other christian sects? Your responses have been to call me names........it's like you don't know when you're being a douche..just totally oblivious, lol. Can't help but wonder why that is. No worries though, babble on about how horrible some other group of people is for believing in some equally ridiculous version of an idiotic fairy tale, go ahead. I'm sure the responses you get will have something to do with the cynicism of others, rather than your own ignorant remarks. Apparently, the Kindgom Hall taught you to sling the mud, but not how to take a punch? Hey, that's a great question.

Why is the JW belief structure so intolerant of criticism directed towards it - and dissent from it, but overflowing with criticism directed at other sects and people, and aggressively acting to encourage dissent from other denominations?

Jerkoff
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(June 16, 2015 at 6:33 am)nicanica123 Wrote: So again, how do you rope me into these replies? I put you on my ignore list but I still get your messages somehow

Mod hat on: I suggest you remove Rhythm from your ignore list immediately, as it's a direct violation of rule #11 to have a member of staff on ignore. Thank you.
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.
There should be an award category for mod most often openly ignored....I'm getting cheated come time to collect the shiny medals, I think.   Wink
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(June 16, 2015 at 1:22 pm)Rhythm Wrote: There should be an award category for mod most often openly ignored....I'm getting cheated come time to collect the shiny medals, I think.   Wink

Sorry, did you say something?
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
Press the button, do eeeet.  Wink
(June 16, 2015 at 1:09 pm)rexbeccarox Wrote:
(June 16, 2015 at 6:33 am)nicanica123 Wrote: So again, how do you rope me into these replies? I put you on my ignore list but I still get your messages somehow

Mod hat on: I suggest you remove Rhythm from your ignore list immediately, as it's a direct violation of rule #11 to have a member of staff on ignore.  Thank you.

It shouldn't even be possible. Maybe something got unplugged in the migration. Something else, I mean.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Victims 'told not to report' Jehovah's Witness child abuse zebo-the-fat 13 2817 November 20, 2017 at 10:42 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Paul's 500 witnesses. Jehanne 131 39544 May 14, 2017 at 4:39 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Jehovah's Witnesses 'did not report 1,000 abusers zebo-the-fat 22 5399 July 29, 2015 at 5:03 am
Last Post: robvalue
  I normally tell Jehovah's Witnesses KUSA 31 9782 March 5, 2015 at 5:29 pm
Last Post: Norman Humann
  Jehovah's Witness Darwinian 12 6101 October 4, 2009 at 11:44 pm
Last Post: theblindferrengi
  Jehovah's Witnesses Darwinian 36 10785 June 15, 2009 at 12:47 pm
Last Post: chatpilot