Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 14, 2024, 12:20 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Arguments against existence of God.
RE: Arguments against existence of God.
(November 13, 2018 at 3:28 pm)MysticKnight Wrote:
(November 13, 2018 at 3:27 pm)Whateverist Wrote: The human imagination is formidable if not limitless.

The what-if scenarios for schema that are by definition undetectable is limitless.

Life is brief and the actual is entirely sufficient.

Therefore, why spend the valuable, limited resource of time which we do have on worrying about which of a multitude of hypothetical undetectable realities might also exist?  

Addendum: I will smack the first person who says "because if we don't figure it out correctly we might lose a limitless treasure and receive a horrendous disincentive".  Screw that.

Love doesn't require an explanation, it is the why. If that won't lead you to search for him, nothing will.

Love requires no search.
What are you going to do with these arguments, Mystic? Make a rosary of all the reasons you shouldn't believe what you do so that you can magic them away?

(November 13, 2018 at 3:28 pm)MysticKnight Wrote: Love doesn't require an explanation, it is the why. If that won't lead you to search for him, nothing will.

Bullshit, this flies right in the face of the Principle Of Sufficient Reason. Now you're just saying stupid shit because you think it sounds clever.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(November 13, 2018 at 3:30 pm)Whateverist Wrote:
(November 13, 2018 at 3:28 pm)MysticKnight Wrote: Love doesn't require an explanation, it is the why. If that won't lead you to search for him, nothing will.

Love requires no search.

You lucked out then cause your wife came to you, my 1st date, I had to go find her!
(July 10, 2012 at 5:24 pm)MysticKnight Wrote: 1. Evil/Suffering
2. Bad design in nature, and in some features of humans.
3. Arguments against free-will.
4. God not showing himself in obvious undeniable fashion.
5. No guidance (only applicable if you don't believe guidance has been sent) [this argument is made by people whom believe in guidance, "if there was God, he would send us a form of guidance/communication", and it has some strong persuasion, see thread about "leadership" for example]
6. Imperfect World (similar to 1, but slightly different).

Please add some if you know more.
I haven't posted here in a while, so why not on an old post?

I would say that most arguments made by apologists for the existence of god invariable deny or conveniently forget the alleged god's omni-qualities.

They can't maintain their superhero's abilities in a consistent fashion which only highlights the contrived nature of their god concept.
Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
10. Paradox by definition.
IMO, the best argument against the Creator type of God (the one with typically omni-max attributes) is that it's logically contradictory in terms of nature and attributes and, by definition, has done logically problematic stuff (like create things without material cause, or exist and act "beyond time").

The second best is the silence/hiddenness of God.
(November 13, 2018 at 7:28 pm)Grandizer Wrote: IMO, the best argument against the Creator type of God (the one with typically omni-max attributes) is that it's logically contradictory in terms of nature and attributes and, by definition, has done logically problematic stuff (like create things without material cause, or exist and act "beyond time").

The frustrating thing about a lot of these discussions is that people end up conflating very different views of God. 

For example, creator-type God is logically consistent within a self-contained argument, like the Neoplatonic one, the God of Aquinas, or the God of Spinoza. But so often on these forums we end up running different things together. So if Simone Weil discusses the God of the philosophers, who doesn't "care" about people in the way that our mommies care about us, or doesn't intervene in history the way Ken Ham's cartoon-God does, people will reply, "Oh, yeah, then why did he massacre the Moabites?" As if we have to reconcile one view of God with another unrelated view. 

Granted, Christians often conflate the types as it's convenient for them. But if we specify what we're talking about we should be able to eliminate many of the irrelevant objections. 

So what you say here, about a God who acts "beyond time" strikes me as a conflation. People who see God as "beyond time" generally say that God doesn't act. He causes things to happen through his nature, but not by taking actions. That would require change and motion, and a God beyond time has neither of these things. 

The logical contradictions sometimes go away if we stick to one version.
(November 13, 2018 at 7:45 pm)Belaqua Wrote: So what you say here, about a God who acts "beyond time" strikes me as a conflation. People who see God as "beyond time" generally say that God doesn't act. He causes things to happen through his nature, but not by taking actions. That would require change and motion, and a God beyond time has neither of these things.

Causing things to happen, whether through its nature or not, is an act.

Quote:The logical contradictions sometimes go away if we stick to one version.

I'm talking about the "everything out of nothing" Creator God, the God of WLC and the likes. To create (in this context here) is to form out of nothing (creatio ex nihilo).
I am a prophet!
Proof: within the next page this thread will morph into a discussion about Aquinas.
Cetero censeo religionem delendam esse
(November 13, 2018 at 8:01 pm)Grandizer Wrote: Causing things to happen, whether through its nature or not, is an act.

Well, in both the Platonic and Aristotelian traditions, God is the Good, the Ideal, and the end point of all potentialities. God does nothing but exist as such, and the world moves because it aims to be nearer to, or more like, God. Action requires change, and change is something God doesn't do. The world changes because it is "motivated" by God. 

I don't know what percentage of modern Christians hold to this, but it is clear in Simone Weil and other philosophically-inclined believers. 

Quote:I'm talking about the "everything out of nothing" Creator God, the God of WLC and the likes. To create (in this context here) is to form out of nothing (creatio ex nihilo).

What is WLC? Is it widespread?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My take on one of the arguments about omnipotence ShinyCrystals 9 708 September 4, 2023 at 2:57 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Do atheists believe in the existence of friendship? KerimF 191 10551 June 9, 2023 at 3:32 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  What is the worst religion in existence? Hi600 89 6494 May 6, 2023 at 12:55 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  A simple argument against God Disagreeable 149 13136 December 29, 2022 at 11:59 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Atheism and the existence of peanut butter R00tKiT 721 51813 November 15, 2022 at 9:47 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  A "meta-argument" against all future arguments for God's existence ? R00tKiT 225 16960 April 17, 2022 at 2:11 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Arguments against Soul FlatAssembler 327 26070 February 20, 2020 at 11:28 am
  Arguments Against Creator God GrandizerII 77 19116 November 16, 2019 at 9:38 am
Information The Best Logique Evidence of God Existence Nogba 225 25006 August 2, 2019 at 11:44 am
Last Post: comet
  Atheists being asked about the existence of Jesus Der/die AtheistIn 154 17641 January 24, 2019 at 1:30 pm