Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 21, 2024, 6:17 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why Christians come to atheist forums
RE: Why Christians come to atheist forums
Not at all Smile
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(January 4, 2015 at 5:23 am)strawdawg Wrote: It seems it takes a very self assured type person to be a atheist. The untimate test would be if you continue to hold these beliefs when your world is falling apart.

Perhaps Christians are amused? I am, but not a lot.

I don't turn to your crutch for my succour any more than I take your prescription for my illness.

I've been through a lot -- a revolution, burying my father -- and quite frankly not only did religion not give me comfort, in some instances it made the experience more trying.

I think the only self assurance you need is to trust your own critical thinking.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(January 4, 2015 at 12:43 pm)Spooky Wrote:
(January 3, 2015 at 7:21 pm)Drich Wrote: A few.

ROFLOL

When have you been able to poke a hole in anyone's faith?

Can you cite one example?

Again if someone comes to me privatly then it is between me and them. I can tell you the ones who comes are generally the fence sitters. Although I have had a few discussions with some hard core types as well.
Drich's mystery converts, lol. Let me do my part to make this a real short discussion: they, like his god - exist only between his ears. He's been selling that bullshit line pretty much since he got here though, so...points for persistence.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
I've heard a couple of Christian members say they came to challenge their faith, and I've also heard a couple claim to seek converts. Why do they stay for years and years?

I think they are here to have fun.
You know it wouldnt take much for a mod to verify or deny my claims as I have not deleted any of my pm's

(January 4, 2015 at 3:27 pm)watchamadoodle Wrote: I've heard a couple of Christian members say they came to challenge their faith, and I've also heard a couple claim to seek converts. Why do they stay for years and years?

I think they are here to have fun.

There is fun to be had, but the head ache and frustration often out weighs the fun.

I am here for those few fence sitters who would other wise be lost. Even if they never contact me directly for a one on one I have had people tell that they learn a lot, or see something they hadn't before. These small things can lead to bigger changes in life, if your heart is in the right place.

I am have been here for years and years because God gave me a gift, and insite to scripture (the gift being making something like scripture a little easier to understand.)
I am simply trying to be faithful to what I have been given.

I just went through my old pm's and counted 6 different people and a couple of dozen pm's. Which lead to several more emails. I even got a posting published on some guys blog that I had forgotten about.

If any of you who are still here don't mind me sharing some old pm's just let me know.
I can only speak for me.
I saw a vid by Lance Walnau talking about being invited to Russia to talk to the Communists.
Lance is a Christian, very funny, insightful and real.
How unique- going over there to the bastion of official atheism.
Then I thought, I wonder if there are any atheist forums?
I have been on a couple of Rapture sites for years.
But what would atheists have to talk about?

Searching, I found this place and looked in a bit. I actually had the thought,
"Do you want to jump into the viper pit?" (no offense guys-just being me)
I thought for a bit and I said yeah.

Motivation: what is coming is going to rattle all cages.
Some of what I posted will come in handy during that time.

I am pretty sure my thoughts are as amusing to you as yours are to me.
That is the fun part, as are the clever replies to me, a good joke is a good one, no matter who it is played on.
The more at ease you are with yourself- the easier it is to laugh at yourself.
The shoe fits.
I did not come to learn about atheism or to test my understandings, but I have been impressed with you guys.
I am also impressed by the number of professed Christians who come here and act like nasty idiots.
The devil smiles.
(January 3, 2015 at 7:27 pm)Drich Wrote:
(January 3, 2015 at 6:59 pm)abaris Wrote: For me, this board has offered valuable insights when it comes to religion. It's the first atheist board I joined though I have encountered a few religious people on political boards as well. But I didn't have any idea, how narrow minded and literal American Evangelicals really are. People like these are virtually unknown in Europe. It was an eye opener, since when you ramble about Adam and Eve being real persons you would be laughed from the room in my country.

Real open minded and tolerant bunch huh?

Just smarter than a moron like you.
LOL, "god" granted Drich a superpower. Ever get the feeling that no matter how hard you try, you can't lampoon someone as hard as they lampoon themselves? So, did you get a cape or robe to go with your gift?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Where does the belief that seeds die before they turn into a living plant come from? FlatAssembler 17 1360 August 3, 2023 at 10:38 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  [Serious] For former Christians only, why did you leave your faith? Jehanne 159 14231 January 16, 2023 at 7:36 am
Last Post: h4ym4n
  Christians vs Christians (yec) Fake Messiah 52 8071 January 31, 2019 at 2:08 pm
  Why are Christians so full of hate? I_am_not_mafia 183 17690 October 18, 2018 at 7:50 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Another reason why Christians go to church Alexmahone 40 4842 August 20, 2018 at 10:35 am
Last Post: Cod
  Christians: Can you see why atheists don't buy this stuff? vulcanlogician 49 4116 August 19, 2018 at 8:03 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Christians: Why does the answer have to be god? IanHulett 67 15268 April 5, 2018 at 3:33 pm
  If any man thirst, let him come unto me, and drink vorlon13 11 2749 August 1, 2017 at 12:25 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Why do Christians want to go to Heaven? Fake Messiah 52 19425 June 28, 2017 at 9:29 am
Last Post: Astonished
  Why are Christians obsessed with Gay people? Cecelia 109 18460 January 29, 2017 at 1:37 am
Last Post: BrokenQuill92