Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 20, 2024, 3:07 am

Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 1.57 Average
Proving The Resurrection By the Minimal Facts Approach
RE: Proving The Resurrection By the Minimal Facts Approach
(July 18, 2015 at 8:01 pm)Randy Carson Wrote: As God, Jesus is eternal. As man, he cannot die again.

[Image: 11705231_10153484034546738_3595432124146...e=56505EE5]
I reject your reality and substitute my own!
(July 17, 2015 at 9:11 pm)Pizza Wrote: I thought that was more of a Protestant thing, I guess Catholics do it also.

Edit- Now that I think about it, why can't we know now? What is with this game of divine peek a boo?

This question comes up a lot, and here is a good answer to the question; I'm calling it:

The Fine Tuning of the Evidence

Scripture describes God as a hidden God. This means you have to make an effort of faith to find him, and there are clues you can follow. If that weren’t so, if there was something more or less than clues, we would not be free to make a choice about Him. If we had absolute proof instead of clues, then we could no more deny God than we could deny the sun. If we had no evidence at all, you could never get to faith. God gives us just enough evidence so that those who want Him can have while those that don’t want Him are not forced to do so. Those who want to follow the clues will.
(July 18, 2015 at 2:31 pm)Brian37 Wrote: The Bible, like all holy books and religious writings are myths reflecting the societies in the times of which they were concocted.

Then what is your explanation for the five facts of my OP which are NOT based on the Bible?
Meh, if we'll all know at death then I can't imagine why you feel the need to muddy the water here in this life. You might find that people came to god quicker had you opened your mouth less often.

-and there wasn't -1- fact in your OP, let alone 5. Are you now claiming that your 5 non-facts don't even come from the bible?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(July 18, 2015 at 3:01 pm)IanHulett Wrote: Randy, will anything convince you to become an atheist?

Based on what I know, no.

Quote:If you've answered no, then you're just trying to convert people.

Yes, of course.

Quote:You're being intellectually dishonest.

No, I'm not.
(July 18, 2015 at 3:26 pm)KevinM1 Wrote:
(July 17, 2015 at 6:22 pm)Randy Carson Wrote: Would you believe me if I said He does?

[Image: no.gif]

Not until he says, "Hi!" to you personally. Then, everyone in this forum will turn on you because you will have NO evidence.

But you will have KNOW evidence, and it will change your life.

Try again, slick.  Evidence is derived from the word 'evident'.  Evidence is only evidence if it is evident to others.  God tapping Jenny on the shoulder and saying "Hi" isn't evidence unless it's observed by someone else.  And, even then, that's only evidence of someone/thing interacting with her, not of your god.  That requires much more evidence, evidence which must eliminate other possibilities from being the most likely explanation.

As I said, if Jenny were to be taken up into heaven by Jesus for a three-hour tour, you would not believe anything she said upon her return.

You wouldn't read her book, and you wouldn't go to see the movie.
I'd believe a great deal more of what Jenny had to say than you.  Mull it over.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(July 18, 2015 at 8:07 pm)Spooky Wrote:
(July 18, 2015 at 8:01 pm)Randy Carson Wrote: As God, Jesus is eternal. As man, he cannot die again.

[Image: 11705231_10153484034546738_3595432124146...e=56505EE5]

That's what this thread (and others) are all about.

Please pay attention.
(July 18, 2015 at 8:14 pm)Randy Carson Wrote: That's what this thread (and others) are all about.

Please pay attention.

Yet you have offered not one single shred of proof.

Not one.

I'm beginning to think you're an idiot.
I reject your reality and substitute my own!
(July 18, 2015 at 8:10 pm)Rhythm Wrote: Meh, if we'll all know at death then I can't imagine why you feel the need to muddy the water here in this life.  You might find that people came to god quicker had you opened your mouth less often.

This is the kind of irrational nonsense that I expect from someone who simply does not want to be confronted by the truth. Interestingly, the Jews said the same things when confronted by the prophet Isaiah when they exclaimed:

Isaiah 30:11
"Leave this way, Get off this path, and stop confronting us with the Holy One of Israel."

So, you would rather I just log off and leave you in peace. In darkness. In ignorance. At enmity with God. But blissful in that ignorance to be sure.

Well, I'm here to brighten your day. [Image: ani_yup.gif]

Quote:-and there wasn't -1- fact in your OP, let alone 5.  Are you now claiming that your 5 non-facts don't even come from the bible?

Perhaps if you started reading the thread from the beginning...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Proving evolution? LinuxGal 24 2818 March 19, 2023 at 10:36 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  What will win the god wars? Faith, Fantasy, Facts, or God? Greatest I am 98 6546 December 28, 2020 at 12:01 pm
Last Post: Greatest I am
  In what way is the Resurrection the best explanation? GrandizerII 159 15891 November 25, 2019 at 6:46 am
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  Travis Walton versus The Resurrection. Jehanne 61 15869 November 29, 2017 at 8:21 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Why do Christians believe in the Resurrection of Jesus but not alien abductions? Jehanne 72 12003 June 27, 2016 at 1:54 am
Last Post: Redbeard The Pink
  We can be certain of NO resurrection - A Response Randy Carson 136 38149 October 2, 2015 at 4:10 am
Last Post: Aractus
  Disproving The Resurrection By The Maximal Facts Approach BrianSoddingBoru4 160 25649 July 5, 2015 at 6:35 pm
Last Post: Jenny A
  Obama and the simulated resurrection professor 116 18361 April 25, 2015 at 10:39 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  MERGED: The Case for the Resurrection of Jesus Christ (Part 1) & (Part 2) His_Majesty 1617 332558 January 12, 2015 at 5:58 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  The Case for the Resurrection of Jesus Christ (Part Ad Neuseum) YahwehIsTheWay 32 7304 December 11, 2014 at 4:58 pm
Last Post: robvalue