Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 29, 2024, 8:06 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Christians - What would you do if it were discovered Jesus never existed?
RE: Christians - What would you do if it were discovered Jesus never existed?
(September 8, 2015 at 5:24 pm)Drich Wrote:

Quote:Asked and answer. Except the morals bit.
Yes it would. I am not who I am by nature. I am who I am out of love and respect for God. Therefore I strive to change what I want to what He wants for me. I do a lot out of site of others because it is what God would have me do. 9 times out of 10 it is the hard choice the one that does not benfit me. I Made one of those choices this morning, and it was like a kick in the teeth. what's more no one will ever know, and I do not believe I'll ever benefit from it, but because Jesus said "don't muzzle the ox while treading out the grain." I did what I did. that one hurt. So No God=Muzzling the Ox, because they/this one eats a lot of grain.
Did you redeem your donkey's neck with a lamb?  If you didn't you're going to have to break the donkey's neck.  God wants you to obey the Fourth Commandment.  So show your love and respect.
(September 8, 2015 at 5:24 pm)Drich Wrote:
(September 8, 2015 at 3:57 pm)Redbeard The Pink Wrote: Ok, so now what you seem to be saying is that regardless of what hypothetical evidence is being put forward and what it says about Jesus, your "personal experience" with Gaud would lead you to ignore that evidence entirely. Interesting...
Uh.. yeah. Duh..
You want to trivialize the 'hypothetical evidence' as if it were a fore gone conclusion past any and all scrutiny. when the fact of the matter is the 'hypothetical evidence' is a logical impossibility just short of time travel. you can not dismiss a logical impossibility to witch hunt for what you perceive to be a logical fallacy. I ask you who is making a greater leap of blind stupid faith here? The one who has witnessed and experienced God and with ever fiber of their being know what they witnessed and experienced to be more true than any other truth one can experience, or the one wanting to play out a 'logical senerio' that involves time travel? because as I point out that would be one of the only ways we could have absolute proof, and even then it is only proof of the documentation provided/faith in said time travler.

Quote:I'm sure you've been told that personal revelation/"experience" (read: imaginings) are not actual evidence, and I'm pretty confident you can't be convinced of the veracity of that fact, so I'm not really sure what else to say here. What you're basically saying is that even if you were hypothetically convinced, you still wouldn't be convinced, so you can't imagine what you'd do. Such a copout.
Personal experience only validates one's own experiences. But, don't be so quick to dismiss what we experience on a personal level. How do you validate your love for your wife? Kid or 'other?' if not through personal experiences with them.
Now, what if God offered you pinky something as real to YOU as any other relationship you have?

God is not interested in mass worship. Everything that was done was done so we could connect on a personal level. For those who do, this connection is as real as anyother.

Quote:Try this: what would you do if there were enough written, historical evidence to confirm that the human version of Jesus was definitely based on another, purely celestial version of the character who lived and died in the spirit realms, and that this version definitely predates the human story by at least a few decades (suggesting, at minimum, that the human-Jesus story is a complete work of fiction based on an earlier story with no human characters).
See my last post. You guys are working on the assumption that I have no other source for validation that what you are willing to acknowledge. Let pretend for a minute everthing the bible says is true. and that God will reach out to those who truly humble themselves before him and follows His program. If and when this happens "Gawd shows up." Now given that experience what philosophical bit of reasoning could possibly unseat you from what you knew to be absolutely true?

If I was as foolish as you all pretend all Christians are and did everything I did and said here to you all based on the historical account of Jesus found in the bible and in other historical points of references then I would have no recourse than to change my reasoning, because my source material would have been found to be in error.

But again that is not the case. God validates the bible by being found right where the bible says look. But again my belief (not faith anymore) is not based just on the bible. I have faith in the bible because of what I have witnessed and experienced in my life. no 'fancy man logic' will ever change that.

Quote:Would you ignore this earlier version and figure God must have just been giving them a preview of the human story? Would you realize that both characters are probably fictional? Would you abandon human Jesus and start worshiping the original version? Most importantly, would your morals change? If so, how?
Asked and answer. Except the morals bit.
Yes it would. I am not who I am by nature. I am who I am out of love and respect for God. Therefore I strive to change what I want to what He wants for me. I do a lot out of site of others because it is what God would have me do. 9 times out of 10 it is the hard choice the one that does not benfit me. I Made one of those choices this morning, and it was like a kick in the teeth. what's more no one will ever know, and I do not believe I'll ever benefit from it, but because Jesus said "don't muzzle the ox while treading out the grain." I did what I did. that one hurt. So No God=Muzzling the Ox, because they/this one eats a lot of grain.

Drich, ALL you're doing is dodging the question. Forget the evidence. Forget about it. It's confusing you and giving you a place to turn to dodge the question.

The question (the only relevant one for this thread, the one you refuse to even entertain) is this: what would you do if you believed Jesus did not exist? It does not matter why. Play pretend. Fast forward through that. We're not asking what would convince you. It does not matter for the question being asked. What would you do if you didn't believe Jesus was a real human? For whatever reason.

I know you're still not going to answer...honestly, I don't know why I even try sometimes.
Verbatim from the mouth of Jesus (retranslated from a retranslation of a copy of a copy):

"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you too will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you. How can you see your brother's head up his ass when your own vision is darkened by your head being even further up your ass? How can you say to your brother, 'Get your head out of your ass,' when all the time your head is up your own ass? You hypocrite! First take your head out of your own ass, and then you will see clearly who has his head up his ass and who doesn't." Matthew 7:1-5 (also Luke 6: 41-42)

Also, I has a website: www.RedbeardThePink.com
(September 8, 2015 at 5:24 pm)Drich Wrote: I ask you who is making a greater leap of blind stupid faith here? The one who has witnessed ... God and with ever fiber of their being know what they witnessed and experienced to be more true than any other truth one can experience, or the one wanting to play out a 'logical senerio' that involves time travel?

What exactly did you witness? Did you see Him?
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(September 8, 2015 at 7:30 pm)Jörmungandr Wrote:
(September 8, 2015 at 5:24 pm)Drich Wrote: I ask you who is making a greater leap of blind stupid faith here? The one who has witnessed ... God and with ever fiber of their being know what they witnessed and experienced to be more true than any other truth one can experience, or the one wanting to play out a 'logical senerio' that involves time travel?

What exactly did you witness?  Did you see Him?
Drich is talking about religious experiences, I think. The funny thing is Christians have no way of ruling out causes ranging from scientific explanations to demons and rival gods as being unlikely.
It is very important not to mistake hemlock for parsley, but to believe or not believe in God is not important at all. - Denis Diderot

We are the United States of Amnesia, we learn nothing because we remember nothing. - Gore Vidal
(September 8, 2015 at 7:49 pm)Pizza Wrote:
(September 8, 2015 at 7:30 pm)Jörmungandr Wrote: What exactly did you witness?  Did you see Him?
Drich is talking about religious experiences, I think. The funny thing is Christians have no way of ruling out causes ranging from scientific explanations to demons and rival gods as being unlikely.

Yes.  There are people of all types of religion (e.g., muslim, hindu, etc.) who report religious experiences, and it is logically impossible for all religions to be true (or even any two of them).  Consequently, religious experience cannot prove the truth of any religion at all.

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.
Quote: No act of penetration is ever implied in the nativity accounts in the Bible.

You are exceedingly naive.  They may have been ancient goat herders but they understood the concept of fucking.
*Mormons assert a physical act of sexual congress occurred to impregnate Mary.

(yeah, they're weird that way)
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

If the Holy Ghost had impregnated Mary, Jesus would not have been born with a physical body.

It's an interesting conjecture for the 'regular' Christers to ponder. Or for us to imagine them pondering.

Panic
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(September 8, 2015 at 8:00 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote: No act of penetration is ever implied in the nativity accounts in the Bible.

You are exceedingly naive.  They may have been ancient goat herders but they understood the concept of fucking.

Banging Head On Desk
(September 8, 2015 at 7:49 pm)Pizza Wrote:
(September 8, 2015 at 7:30 pm)Jörmungandr Wrote: What exactly did you witness?  Did you see Him?
Drich is talking about religious experiences, I think.

I would prefer Drich's words to your uninformed speculation, thank you.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Never-Ending and Quite Exasperating Debate We All Know of Leonardo17 7 371 April 10, 2024 at 4:57 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Most People Insist That Two Separate Being Can Never Be One KerimF 86 5102 June 17, 2023 at 8:13 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  If you knew for certain that you were going to Hell zwanzig 32 3163 March 9, 2021 at 8:48 pm
Last Post: Ryantology
  Sinning, as Jesus and the church say, is good. Turn or burn Christians. Greatest I am 71 5837 October 20, 2020 at 9:11 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  How do Christians imagine 2nd coming of Jesus? Fake Messiah 39 3845 September 15, 2020 at 11:01 am
Last Post: Rhizomorph13
  Would Jesus promote punishing the innocent instead of the guilty? Greatest I am 159 10144 September 10, 2020 at 3:37 pm
Last Post: Greatest I am
Question [Serious] Christians what would change your mind? Xaventis 154 10138 August 20, 2020 at 7:11 am
  Christians vs Christians (yec) Fake Messiah 52 8124 January 31, 2019 at 2:08 pm
  Truer Words Were Never Spoken Minimalist 9 2587 April 23, 2018 at 8:39 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Jesus Would Be Proud of You, Douchebag Minimalist 37 9447 August 21, 2017 at 2:03 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb