Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 21, 2024, 2:53 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Most personally convincing reasons you don't believe.
RE: Most personally convincing reasons you don't believe.
There isn't one because God is unfalsifiable. Any reason there could be to believe in God there's no proof he's actually supernatural rather than some superpowerful evolved alien impersonating him.

Evidence for God is impossible, even if God isn't. And because evidence is necessary for rational belief, that means rational belief in God is impossible.
(May 12, 2016 at 9:34 am)Rhythm Wrote: Would you believe if you hadn't seen, witnessed, and experienced god?  Would you be a christian if you didn't agree with what you had seen, witnessed, and experienced?

No i would not. I tested the tenements of Buddhism, and Islam found both to be empty. I followed what the bible said and found God.
(May 12, 2016 at 10:03 am)Drich Wrote:
(May 9, 2016 at 11:45 pm)Losty Wrote: There now that that's over. I wish I had some cool interesting thing but I don't know anything convincing. My only convincing thing is a lack of convincing reasons to believe in god.

What would be a convincing reason?

Do your own work, evangelist...or perhaps you should simply ask god?  He'd know, and you speak to him, right?

As to the above, then you should understand the position that we find ourselves in. I find christianity to be as empty as you find buddhism and islam. Had I seen or experienced or witnessed something - perhaps I would be in a different position. Seeing as you -should- understand this position....it's strange to see you explain it away as laziness or excuse. Is it your laziness and your excuses that keep you from being a buddhist or a muslim? You gave -precisely- the response above that you criticized from another.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(May 12, 2016 at 10:08 am)Drich Wrote:
(May 12, 2016 at 9:34 am)Rhythm Wrote: Would you believe if you hadn't seen, witnessed, and experienced god?  Would you be a christian if you didn't agree with what you had seen, witnessed, and experienced?

No i would not. I tested the tenements of Buddhism, and Islam found both to be empty. I followed what the bible said and found God.

So you found your truth in the Christian slum, huh? So be it.  Big Grin
(May 12, 2016 at 9:42 am)Chad32 Wrote:
(May 12, 2016 at 9:29 am)Drich Wrote: people say this alot. it is the new default since that "Zoro" youtube video, but if you were to honest look up the stories, and trace them back to their oldest manuscripts the ones that are proven to be older than the bible don't really coincide with the bible like people pretend they do, and the ones that mirror the bible are often times traceable back to after the bible had been compiled (even if the religion was much much older.)

This is just a lazy excuse not to believe.

They existed as oral traditions before the bible was made, and many things in the bible are inspired or based off of events older than it is. There are a lot of problems with the bible, factually and morally speaking. This was just the final nail in the coffin for me. Whoever heard of a personal relationship where you have to read a book to understand the person you're supposedly able to speak to yourself?

I completely understand the argument. However there is a problem with it. The "text" that have been proven older than the bible do not lend themselves to the bible stories as promised. The texts that do, have no surviving manuscripts older than the bible. Meaning even IF that particular religion is older the writings of it could have been taken from the bible, not the other way around.
Casual cultural re-appropriation, I love it.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(May 12, 2016 at 9:48 am)Crossless1 Wrote:
(May 12, 2016 at 9:41 am)Drich Wrote: and if one could use the bible to reconcile "evolution" with creation?

You mean like that laughable farce of an explanation you provide where you try to have it both ways with your "monkey man/Garden of Eden" nonsense? Why would anyone take such convoluted "reasoning" seriously for even a moment, unless they are committed to salvaging the Biblical narrative at all costs?

That "nonsense" simply eliminates the constraints of a 6000 year time line you 'good people' artificially put on creation, and places it where the bible describes. (The Fall/eviction from the Garden) Which means you can fill the narrative any way you like. I simply point out Genesis 2 is a garden account, and Adam and everything in the garden was created on day 3 Apart from everything else outside the garden. I also point out that A&E per the Genesis account are immortal, which mean that the end of Genesis 2 and the start of Genesis 3 could have consumed all the "time" you 'good people' need to make your origins account work in your minds.
(May 12, 2016 at 10:19 am)Drich Wrote:
(May 12, 2016 at 9:48 am)Crossless1 Wrote: You mean like that laughable farce of an explanation you provide where you try to have it both ways with your "monkey man/Garden of Eden" nonsense? Why would anyone take such convoluted "reasoning" seriously for even a moment, unless they are committed to salvaging the Biblical narrative at all costs?

That "nonsense" simply eliminates the constraints of a 6000 year time line you 'good people' artificially put on creation, and places it where the bible describes. (The Fall/eviction from the Garden) Which means you can fill the narrative any way you like. I simply point out Genesis 2 is a garden account, and Adam and everything in the garden was created on day 3 Apart from everything else outside the garden. I also point out that A&E per the Genesis account are immortal, which mean that the end of Genesis 2 and the start of Genesis 3 could have consumed all the "time" you 'good people' need to make your origins account work in your minds.

New flash: I don't spend any time making your holy book's origins account 'work'. It's not my problem.
(May 12, 2016 at 10:07 am)Alasdair Ham Wrote: There isn't one because God is unfalsifiable. Any reason there could be to believe in God there's no proof he's actually supernatural rather than some superpowerful evolved alien impersonating him.

Evidence for God is impossible, even if God isn't. And because evidence is necessary for rational belief, that means rational in belief in God is impossible.

Again, you fail to consider the term 'supernatural.' What would God create a Natural world Only to force himself to work and move supernaturally through it? Again what if God isn't force to be a 'Supernatural God?'
(May 12, 2016 at 10:07 am)Alasdair Ham Wrote: There isn't one because God is unfalsifiable. Any reason there could be to believe in God there's no proof he's actually supernatural rather than some superpowerful evolved alien impersonating him.

Evidence for God is impossible, even if God isn't. And because evidence is necessary for rational belief, that means rational in belief in God is impossible.

Again, you fail to consider the term 'supernatural.' What would God create a Natural world Only to force himself to work and move supernaturally through it? Again what if God isn't force to be a 'Supernatural God?'

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What do you believe in that hasnt been proven to exist? goombah111 197 24904 March 5, 2021 at 6:47 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  If there is a God(s) it/they clearly don't want us to believe in them, no? Duty 12 1492 April 5, 2020 at 8:36 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Why you all need others, to believe? LastPoet 24 4019 December 26, 2019 at 10:09 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Ways to Get Into Heaven! Or Whatever You Believe in! Jade-Green Stone 14 2597 January 24, 2019 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: deanabiepepler
  List of reasons to believe God exists? henryp 428 86150 January 21, 2018 at 2:56 am
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  Look i don't really care if you believe or don't believe Ronia 20 7980 August 25, 2017 at 4:28 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  People assuming you believe in a God Der/die AtheistIn 35 10421 July 19, 2017 at 10:24 am
Last Post: Astonished
  Don't you just love the hypocrisy of religion. ignoramus 86 22417 July 16, 2017 at 7:04 am
Last Post: Der/die AtheistIn
  Theists: What is the most compelling argument you have heard for Atheism? PETE_ROSE 455 104874 April 5, 2017 at 12:34 pm
Last Post: RoadRunner79
  Atheists, what are the most convincing theist arguments you heard of? SuperSentient 169 23269 April 1, 2017 at 9:43 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic