Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 30, 2024, 4:08 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Getting into the mind of a psychopath
RE: Getting into the mind of a psychopath
(October 23, 2016 at 9:54 am)Alasdair Ham Wrote: Absolutely not empty emotionless robots. They experience excitement a lot for starters.

Psychopaths are pleasure seekers. Regret for themselves perhaps, but not shame or remorse. Low or non-existent anxiety... high excitement.

Sociopaths have no remorse or shame either, they have regret... but their anxiety is very high as well as their excitement, and they're more prone to rage and less calculating. That's the way I see it.

Talk to one that has been incarcerated or institutionalized. They express shame and remorse but it is only for them selves, none for society.  

On a side note, anybody have any thoughts on the Macdonald triad as a predictor?

Any other thoughts on genetic vs environment?
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
I'm a psychopath. Anyone have any questions?
(October 23, 2016 at 10:22 am)mh.brewer Wrote:
(October 23, 2016 at 9:54 am)Alasdair Ham Wrote: Absolutely not empty emotionless robots. They experience excitement a lot for starters.

Psychopaths are pleasure seekers. Regret for themselves perhaps, but not shame or remorse. Low or non-existent anxiety... high excitement.

Sociopaths have no remorse or shame either, they have regret... but their anxiety is very high as well as their excitement, and they're more prone to rage and less calculating. That's the way I see it.

Talk to one that has been incarcerated or institutionalized. They express shame and remorse but it is only for them selves, none for society.

Well it could possibly be shame but remorse tends to be for others by definition.  

Quote:Any other thoughts on genetic vs environment?

Have you read that psychopathy is more genetic and sociopathy is more environment?
I highly doubt you're a psychopath, but you've certainly been accused of it! Big Grin I swear there used to be a funny laughing emoticon that I can't find now. Balls.
Genetics would determine reaction with the environment to some extent surely.
I am John Cena's hip-hop album.
(October 23, 2016 at 10:37 am)Alasdair Ham Wrote:
(October 23, 2016 at 10:22 am)mh.brewer Wrote: Talk to one that has been incarcerated or institutionalized. They express shame and remorse but it is only for them selves, none for society.

Well it could possibly be shame but remorse tends to be for others by definition.  

Quote:Any other thoughts on genetic vs environment?

Have you read that psychopathy is more genetic and sociopathy is more environment?

A bit. Got any references you can recommend?
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(October 23, 2016 at 10:42 am)Shell B Wrote: I highly doubt you're a psychopath, but you've certainly been accused of it! Big Grin I swear there used to be a funny laughing emoticon that I can't find now. Balls.

There's a psychopath hiding in everyone of us, tho. Big Grin
(October 23, 2016 at 10:51 am)Excited Penguin Wrote:
(October 23, 2016 at 10:42 am)Shell B Wrote: I highly doubt you're a psychopath, but you've certainly been accused of it! Big Grin I swear there used to be a funny laughing emoticon that I can't find now. Balls.

There's a psychopath hiding in everyone of us, tho. Big Grin

So you're saying mental health is like a box of cracker jacks?  You never know which prize you're gonna get.
(October 23, 2016 at 10:48 am)mh.brewer Wrote:
(October 23, 2016 at 10:37 am)Alasdair Ham Wrote: Well it could possibly be shame but remorse tends to be for others by definition.  

A bit. Got any references you can recommend?

It was a Robert Hare book I read some of in Waterstones... I forget which one. Damn. I think it may have been a re-issue of an older book, I'm not sure.

But just the internet in general and Wikipedia. Many sources seem to agree that Psychopaths are born psychopaths but sociopaths are made that way through upbringing.

Another thing is, Robert Hare the lead researcher in psychopathy said in the book I read very clearly that psychopathy and sociopathy is very different... psychopathy is a serious genetic disorder where people are born without empathy that has been well established by psychiatrists who study such pathologies, whereas he says very clearly that sociopathy is merely another name for Anti Social Personality Disorder and is the business of psychologists rather than psychiatrists.

Psychologytoday.com Wrote:Sociopathy is an informal term that refers to a pattern of antisocial behavior and attitudes. In the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM), sociopathy is most closely represented as Antisocial Personality Disorder.

Psychologytoday.com Wrote:The terms “psychopath” and “sociopath” are often used interchangeably, but in correct parlance a “sociopath” refers to a person with antisocial tendencies that are ascribed to social or environmental factors, whereas psychopathic traits are more innate, though a chaotic or violent upbringing may tip the scales for those already predisposed to behave psychopathically.

Its :.hilarious: without the dot after the first colon

Hilarious

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Getting to Know the Forum. Disagreeable 0 270 January 23, 2022 at 8:46 pm
Last Post: Disagreeable
  Help Making Indoor Cat into Outdoor cat. vulcanlogician 22 2012 May 1, 2021 at 9:54 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Upon reading this title, what first comes to mind? Foxaèr 8 357 November 25, 2020 at 10:03 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Where do i discuss about getting fit ? Megabullshit 109 5399 May 19, 2020 at 11:47 am
Last Post: Megabullshit
  Inquiring mind seeks guidance from the governing powers. no one 17 981 December 17, 2019 at 11:15 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Crossing into Canada EgoDeath 5 581 November 22, 2019 at 10:00 am
Last Post: EgoDeath
  If Jesus had ascended into Heaven... Jehanne 23 2091 May 13, 2019 at 7:38 am
Last Post: madog
  Looking into femine hygiene; do you . . . vorlon13 89 15028 October 31, 2018 at 11:38 am
Last Post: SaStrike
  Getting ready for winter. onlinebiker 21 1643 October 26, 2018 at 11:47 am
Last Post: mlmooney89
  somebody, Please Talk Sense into My Stupid Head. I Think I'm Getting Ready to Fuck Up Rhondazvous 30 2264 September 13, 2018 at 5:41 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous