Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 20, 2024, 10:51 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Prayer
RE: Prayer
*snarls*
I am a true believer in letting the dogs lie. Do I sense a flamewar? do I?
What about a thumbwar?
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
(January 10, 2018 at 5:54 pm)Huggy74 Wrote:
(January 10, 2018 at 5:43 pm)c152 Wrote: There's also the Study of the Therapeutic Effects of Intercessory Prayer (STEP), funded by the good 'ol Templeton Foundation.
Groups of patients for heart surgery were being prayed for in a very large study, the results were that no positive effect from the prayers could be observed. And before anyone comes dragging with the placebo bullshit, the group of people who knew they were receiving prayers actually did worse in the study!

Prayer does no good unless it's backed by belief.

A placebo does no good unless it's backed by belief.

What's the common denominator? So that study is nonsense unless it can determine the amount of faith a subject possesses, which is not something that is quantifiable by science.

You realize what your saying is that your gawd is nothing more than a placebo.

We knew that already. Dodgy
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.
(January 11, 2018 at 1:56 pm)Nay_Sayer Wrote:
(January 11, 2018 at 1:32 pm)FatAndFaithless Wrote: It's worse than that - in the STEP studies the people who knew they were being prayed for did worse than placebo.

Gotta pray the right way

Just imagine that asshole god sitting there with his arms crossed. "Nu'uh you guys don't pray good enough for me to help these patients, in fact I'll even make it worse for the patients who know they're receiving prayers. That'll teach them!"
"History is something that very few people have been doing while everyone else was ploughing fields and carrying water buckets." -Yuval Noah Harari
Is huggy still pushing his stupid quote mines . To try and distract away from his ignorance . After all this is a man who .

Denies the limited effects of placebo's (and they are extremely limited ) 

Denies the long term harm of inbreeding . Even when the people sites point out it's bad and needs to be reversed . 

Pushes Anti GMO quackery from a site known to push pseudo medicine

And dismiss other sources as biased based on nothing but his opinion
Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

(January 11, 2018 at 2:00 pm)FatAndFaithless Wrote:
(January 11, 2018 at 1:51 pm)Huggy74 Wrote: Says the person who thinks he knows 'science' but literally didn't know the first step in the scientific method.

I understand the scientific method, ya dingleberry.  I didn't understand your poorly worded question (indicated in the quote)

If someone asked you the first step of tying your shoes, you wouldn't respond "buy some shoes."

But you know this.  This has been explained to you innumerable times.  Yet you still trot out that quote (which you have saved), whenever I call you out for your breathtaking scientific illiteracy, as if it shows that I also have no understanding of science.  You're misrepresenting what I said and the situation around the quote.  You're being a cuck liar, and that's why you were banned from having a signature.

Is that clear enough for you?

Cuck huh?  

(March 19, 2015 at 12:59 pm)FatAndFaithless Wrote:
(March 19, 2015 at 12:57 pm)Esquilax Wrote: Just look at his sig: the last one (before he changed it to you because he's an ass) was just a simple error that he felt the need to crow about endlessly. Of course, he didn't include the very next part of the exchange, where Rhythm admitted he was wrong and changed his position, because that would be intellectually honest, and all Huggy really wants is to make fun of us for being wrong at all, because ha ha you're wrong.

It's kinda like arguing with a toddler, where he'll constantly try to twist technicalities so that he's right no matter what, while turning your every honest error, even if you admit to it, into an opportunity to taunt you.
Huh, I didn't even realize he had changed his signature.  Oh well, more name-advertising for me!

Hah, and he didn't even include the first sentence of my response in his signature.

But seriously, at what point is this kind of blatant dishonesty against the rules?

Yet who's the one that interprets a verbatim quote as "blatant dishonesty"? Lol you atheist just hate taking L's.

Btw the disabling of my sig was clear bias which I can prove, seeing how it broke no rules. However quoting another member in your signature has just recently been made a rule, yet I see Esquilax still has another member quoted in his sig.

It is what it is...
(January 11, 2018 at 2:15 pm)purplepurpose Wrote: Religion - take it or leave it.

Or blow it out your ass!
Your a clown Huggy and always will be . So i don't give you words any weight .
Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

(January 11, 2018 at 8:42 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
(January 11, 2018 at 2:15 pm)purplepurpose Wrote: Religion - take it or leave it.

Or blow it out your ass!

Serious question:

Why haven’t you become a brand at this point? I’d own/brandish Min memorabilia.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Power of Prayer and Fear of God mcolafson 33 5433 September 19, 2022 at 8:11 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  Church of the atheists and prayer and supplication Eclectic 23 1986 September 19, 2022 at 2:34 pm
Last Post: Ranjr
  A prayer before dinner Denverguy 48 6781 October 1, 2019 at 10:29 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Forced Prayer ScienceAf 33 6656 August 15, 2016 at 1:58 pm
Last Post: Faith No More
  Prayer to the God of Atheism Rhondazvous 21 3667 May 16, 2015 at 4:25 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Prayer: Biggest Hope and The Biggest Disappointment LivingNumbers6.626 8 2414 December 10, 2014 at 4:15 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  Atheism and Prayer ComradeMeow 22 4045 September 3, 2014 at 1:24 pm
Last Post: ShaMan
  Atheistic dinner "prayer" Eric9001 11 4941 July 14, 2014 at 5:32 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  Prayer Studies Heywood 80 17929 May 22, 2014 at 3:18 pm
Last Post: archangle
  Atheists and Prayer Rayaan 56 14070 March 13, 2014 at 11:33 am
Last Post: Foxaèr