Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 17, 2024, 11:09 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jesus as Lord - why is this appealing to so many?
RE: Jesus as Lord - why is this appealing to so many?
(February 14, 2018 at 9:48 am)Grandizer Wrote:
(February 14, 2018 at 9:47 am)SteveII Wrote: This "Completed Infinity" stuff is just nonsense. You have put two words together that are contradictory. Just like "married bachelor". Your phrase literally contains no meaning.

No, it's not.

The set of all integers is a clear example of complete infinity.

In the abstract!!!!!!!

Quote:In the philosophy of mathematics, the abstraction of actual infinity involves the acceptance (if the axiom of infinity is included) of infinite entities, such as the set of all natural numbers or an infinite sequence of rational numbers, as given, actual, completed objects. This is contrasted with potential infinity, in which a non-terminating process (such as "add 1 to the previous number") produces a sequence with no last element, and each individual result is finite and is achieved in a finite number of steps. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Actual_infinity

No one believes (at least none with any sense) that there is such things as an infinite number of anything concrete. ANY of you can end this by posting an article that shows I am wrong.

(February 14, 2018 at 9:58 am)LadyForCamus Wrote: Steve, have you tried heading over to google for some independent research?  Or are you just going to stamp your feet and demand someone take screen shots of every page in their physics and mathematics books for you, and if they don’t, claim victory?  That’s not how this works, lol.

YES!! No one believes anything like Poly/Grand is proposing. I can't find something that isn't there!!
(February 14, 2018 at 10:22 am)SteveII Wrote:
(February 14, 2018 at 9:48 am)Grandizer Wrote: No, it's not.

In the abstract!!!!!!!

Yes, so? Can you provide an abstract example of a married bachelor as well? You were saying earlier that "completed infinity" is a logical contradiction like "married bachelor". I gave you a logical example of "complete infinity"

Quote:
(February 14, 2018 at 9:58 am)LadyForCamus Wrote: Steve, have you tried heading over to google for some independent research?  Or are you just going to stamp your feet and demand someone take screen shots of every page in their physics and mathematics books for you, and if they don’t, claim victory?  That’s not how this works, lol.

YES!! No one believes anything like Poly/Grand is proposing. I can't find something that isn't there!!

Like God, you mean?
(February 14, 2018 at 10:08 am)polymath257 Wrote:
(February 14, 2018 at 7:43 am)SteveII Wrote: It's telling that no one can actually find and post a link or quote that shows an actual infinite of concrete objects (or events) is logical.

https://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en...ysics&btnG=

You posted a search string. Which one should I click on AND what page should I go to? I want to see an actual argument--not read through textbooks looking to see if you are right. I'll wait.
(February 14, 2018 at 10:29 am)SteveII Wrote:
(February 14, 2018 at 10:08 am)polymath257 Wrote: https://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en...ysics&btnG=

You posted a search string. Which one should I click on AND what page should I go to? I want to see an actual argument--not read through textbooks looking to see if you are right. I'll wait.

Pretty much every single link that comes up with that search uses infinite time as a way to understand some physical process.

What sort of argument do you want? People have gotten past worrying about potential versus actual infinities. That is a remnant of an old philosophy that is no longer used. It isn't discussed because it is irrelevant to the physics and math. Instead, we just use models with infinities in them and have no problems whatsoever.

Again, *if* the universe is infinite in extent spatially, *then* there are probably an infinite number of stars. At this point nobody knows if the universe is spatially infinite. But the very fact that we do not know shows that it isn't a *logical* problem: it is a question of what happens in reality. And that question is still open.

If it were like a 'married bachelor', then the issue would be settled, yes?

(February 14, 2018 at 10:22 am)SteveII Wrote:
(February 14, 2018 at 9:48 am)Grandizer Wrote: No, it's not.

In the abstract!!!!!!!
So you admit it isn't a *logical* impossibility like 'married bachelor'? If it  possible in the abstract, then it isn't a self-contradictory thing.
Whether it happens in reality is another matter. That hasn't been resolved yet. But it isn't just a question of logical consistency. There are many logically consistent systems that are not real.
(February 14, 2018 at 10:29 am)SteveII Wrote:
(February 14, 2018 at 10:08 am)polymath257 Wrote: https://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en...ysics&btnG=

Pick one and read. Honestly, I don't think you'll be able to understand the bulk of it. I don't. Too much technical stuff in there.
(February 14, 2018 at 10:27 am)Grandizer Wrote:
(February 14, 2018 at 10:22 am)SteveII Wrote: In the abstract!!!!!!!

Yes, so? Can you provide an abstract example of a married bachelor as well? You were saying earlier that "completed infinity" is a logical contradiction like "married bachelor". I gave you a logical example of "complete infinity"

So, when you said there was such a thing as completed infinity of events, you are talking about real objects. Your justification is that mathematics has a useful (on paper) abstract concept like considering all of the natural numbers--which cannot be counted--as one thing. You don't see the difference? 

Still waiting for a link from someone. 

Quote:
Quote:YES!! No one believes anything like Poly/Grand is proposing. I can't find something that isn't there!!

Like God, you mean?

Excellent example!!!! I can give arguments AND evidence AND LINKS!!! How about backing up your hypothesis!!
(February 14, 2018 at 10:48 am)SteveII Wrote:
(February 14, 2018 at 10:27 am)Grandizer Wrote: Yes, so? Can you provide an abstract example of a married bachelor as well? You were saying earlier that "completed infinity" is a logical contradiction like "married bachelor". I gave you a logical example of "complete infinity"

So, when you said there was such a thing as completed infinity of events, you are talking about real objects. Your justification is that mathematics has a useful (on paper) abstract concept like considering all of the natural numbers--which cannot be counted--as one thing. You don't see the difference? 

Still waiting for a link from someone. 
No, the point at issue was whether a completed infinity is contradictory, like being a married bachelor. The fact that the math shows there is no internal contradiction shows that it isn't a *logical* issue whether an actual infinity exists or not.

Yes, math considers the collection of all counting numbers as a single  That single thing has infinitely many elements. The fact that this does not lead to a contradiction is enough to show a 'completed infinity' is NOT the same as a 'married bachelor'.

And, once again, physics uses infinite time or space all the time to help in the description of the real world.

Again, we do not know if either space or time is *actually* infinite. It is possible they are. It is possible they are not. It isn't a question of *logic*, but one of evidence for which is actually the case. Currently, the best evidence points to a spatially infinite universe. Also, most quantum theories of gravity point to an infinite time into the past.
(February 14, 2018 at 10:48 am)SteveII Wrote:
(February 14, 2018 at 10:27 am)Grandizer Wrote: Yes, so? Can you provide an abstract example of a married bachelor as well? You were saying earlier that "completed infinity" is a logical contradiction like "married bachelor". I gave you a logical example of "complete infinity"

Not just natural numbers, but all integers. And all real numbers as well.

What do you mean by cannot be counted as one thing? I'm not asking you to count anything. It's there, already complete.

Provide a logical argument against actual infinity existing in reality, if you think there is a logical problem. Saying "married bachelor" is not good enough because we already showed you it's not the same thing.

Quote:Excellent example!!!! I can give arguments AND evidence AND LINKS!!! How about backing up your hypothesis!!

Arguments, yes. But very weak and unimpressive arguments.

Evidence, beyond arguments? Don't kid yourself. And if there is any, it would be the unremarkable kind that wouldn't make me go "Woah! You're right!" even secretly.

And links? Don't need them unless I'm asking you for evidence that I can't access through just your words alone.

Here, all we need to discuss is the logic of actual infinity, and we've shown it's logical. That's all we're saying.
(February 14, 2018 at 10:48 am)SteveII Wrote: Excellent example!!!! I can give arguments AND evidence AND LINKS!!! How about backing up your hypothesis!!

Considering one of your arguments is the one we are currently demolishing, you seem to have a problem.

(February 14, 2018 at 10:20 am)LadyForCamus Wrote:
(February 14, 2018 at 10:08 am)Grandizer Wrote: Steve and RR should have more faith in their God, lol. Why should God not be able to create actual infinities anyway. You guys already believe he can timelessly create things and do other miraculous stuff. What stops you from believing he can't do actual infinity?

If Steve and RR put as much time and intellectually energy into a physics and math education as they do into theology and Christian apologetics, well...then they probably wouldn’t be theists anymore.  😋

Or logic.
(February 14, 2018 at 11:05 am)polymath257 Wrote:
(February 14, 2018 at 10:20 am)LadyForCamus Wrote: If Steve and RR put as much time and intellectually energy into a physics and math education as they do into theology and Christian apologetics, well...then they probably wouldn’t be theists anymore.  😋

Or logic.

Or human psychology.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Rainbow Why I believe in Jesus Christ Ai Somoto 20 2839 June 30, 2021 at 4:25 pm
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  Why did Jesus suffer for sinners and not victims zwanzig 177 19560 June 9, 2021 at 11:14 am
Last Post: John 6IX Breezy
  Why does god put the needs of the few above the need of the many? Greatest I am 69 5422 February 19, 2021 at 10:30 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Why is Jesus in third place when he deserves first? Greatest I am 25 4725 September 22, 2020 at 10:14 pm
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Why did the Jews lie about Jesus? Fake Messiah 65 6220 March 28, 2019 at 5:32 pm
Last Post: Aliza
  Genesis interpretations - how many are there? Fake Messiah 129 17692 January 22, 2019 at 7:33 pm
Last Post: donlor
  Why don't we have people named Jesus? Alexmahone 28 5587 April 5, 2018 at 8:17 pm
Last Post: Jenny A
  Why Didn't Jesus Write? Athena777 85 13249 January 29, 2017 at 2:09 am
Last Post: The Wise Joker
  Brazilian woman has spent years praying to Lord of the Rings doll Cyberman 41 5819 January 8, 2017 at 2:27 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Why are the "laws" of physics so different as conceived by many xtian fundamentalist? Whateverist 22 5077 November 13, 2016 at 1:35 am
Last Post: Funky_Gibbon