Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 20, 2024, 8:44 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you wish there's a god?
RE: Do you wish there's a god?
You're only telling us about the quality of the theists you know. Unsuprising to me, if they're of a similar quality as yourself.

Your definition remains what it always was. A poor attempt to frame a doomed argument. The belief you described can be held and rejected by atheists or theists alike, and is not what the term god refers to, nor is it what the term atheism refers to.

I define gods as amoral time traveling toasters. Amoral time traveling toasters don't exist, therefore gods aren't real and your beliefs are inconsistent with moral reality. QED...right?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(April 9, 2019 at 2:05 pm)Acrobat Wrote: I don't have any innate impulse to do what's best for human thriving. If we're strictly speaking about evolution, then the only goal evolution has in mind is for me to have sex successfully. Any selected for feature, is terribly short sighted, developed in consideration of immediate ecological pressures, with very little to any changes in our biology, as the product of natural selection, since the beginnings of our species, in our more tribal predicament. 

So it shouldn't be surprising that the people I care about the most is my family, and my small community, and not so much humanity as a whole.    Whether or not you get killed, robbed, etc... is of far less of a concern for most people than the glass in their cupboard, or their iPhones.

Not only do I not possess such a goal, I also reject the moral authority, of your supposed group that subscribes to such a goal, and wants to impose such an obligation on to me. 

Based on this predicament, where does that leave your objective morality? It's true for you, but not for me?

I don't think you know very much about human evolution, if that is what you believe it implies.

Yes, our moral impulses are acted out in relationship to the people in our families and communities. And this is a problem how exactly? Those are the people we are in contact with.

I see no predicament. I think you are just making things up at this point.
Why is always baby torture? That was Huggy's shtick.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(April 9, 2019 at 2:06 pm)Gae Bolga Wrote: You're only telling us that you're a shitty person.  Already knew that.

Do we judge a person as shitty, based on what they believe, or on their actions?
Moot point, really, since you've bullshitted us for pages and can't muster up a single shred of credible honesty about your own beliefs.

Either you're the person you described in argumentation, and that would be a shitty person..or you're not..just a liar, and that would also be a shitty person. Take your pick.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(April 9, 2019 at 2:11 pm)Thoreauvian Wrote:
(April 9, 2019 at 2:05 pm)Acrobat Wrote: I don't have any innate impulse to do what's best for human thriving. If we're strictly speaking about evolution, then the only goal evolution has in mind is for me to have sex successfully. Any selected for feature, is terribly short sighted, developed in consideration of immediate ecological pressures, with very little to any changes in our biology, as the product of natural selection, since the beginnings of our species, in our more tribal predicament. 

So it shouldn't be surprising that the people I care about the most is my family, and my small community, and not so much humanity as a whole.    Whether or not you get killed, robbed, etc... is of far less of a concern for most people than the glass in their cupboard, or their iPhones.

Not only do I not possess such a goal, I also reject the moral authority, of your supposed group that subscribes to such a goal, and wants to impose such an obligation on to me. 

Based on this predicament, where does that leave your objective morality? It's true for you, but not for me?

I don't think you know very much about human evolution, if that is what you believe it implies.

Yes, our moral impulses are acted out in relationship to the people in our families and communities.  And this is a problem how exactly?  Those are the people we are in contact with.

I see no predicament.  I think you are just making things up at this point.

You claimed we have an innate goal of doings what's best for human thriving. You didn't  limit it to the "thriving" of our small little tribes, but to humanity in general.

(April 9, 2019 at 2:16 pm)Gae Bolga Wrote: Moot point, really, since you've bullshitted us for pages and can't muster up a single shred of credible honesty about your own beliefs.

Either you're the person you described in argumentation, and that would be a shitty person..or you're not..just a liar, and that would also be a shitty person.  Take your pick.

No it's not a moot point. No, that describes my views in relationship to your moral beliefs. But I just indicated my beliefs, and didn't say anything  about my actions. 

I also don't see myself as unique, but as much an everyman, with nothing particular about my environment or moral development distinct from most people in the world, so if I constitute as a shitty person, it's unlikely to be a unique judgement, but one that can be leveled at humanity as a whole, as a result of shared environments and biological histories.
(April 9, 2019 at 1:48 pm)Acrobat Wrote:
(April 9, 2019 at 1:23 pm)Succubus Wrote: But as a gnostic theist you know exactly what god is, so why not tell us.

Sure, God is the view that life is about something rather than nothing...

This is nothing more than a shallow deepity of your own design and explains nothing! Could you link to any other great thinkers who describe god in those terms and only those terms.

pseudo-profound bullshit.
It's amazing 'science' always seems to 'find' whatever it is funded for, and never the oppsite. Drich.
(April 9, 2019 at 2:10 pm)Gae Bolga Wrote: You're only telling us about the quality of the theists you know.  Unsuprising to me, if they're of a similar quality as yourself.

Your definition remains what it always was.  A poor attempt to frame a doomed argument.  The belief you described can be held and rejected by atheists or theists alike, and is not what the term god refers to, nor is it what the term atheism refers to.

I define gods as amoral time traveling toasters.  Amoral time traveling toasters don't exist, therefore gods aren't real and your beliefs are inconsistent with moral reality.  QED...right?

Lol how are you an atheists going to tell me what the term god refers to? Or that my definition isn’t a description of a god belief?

What percentage of theists, let say Christians would disagree that all men can know of God, is what God reveals to them? That man can know nothing more of God than his revelation?

I’m pointing out that hardly any Christian, fundie, or otherwise would disagree with this, it’s just that you fail to understand basic theistic beliefs like this.
(April 9, 2019 at 2:12 pm)robvalue Wrote: Why is always baby torture? That was Huggy's shtick.

But not nearly as verbose.
It's amazing 'science' always seems to 'find' whatever it is funded for, and never the oppsite. Drich.
(April 9, 2019 at 2:17 pm)Acrobat Wrote:
(April 9, 2019 at 2:16 pm)Gae Bolga Wrote: Moot point, really, since you've bullshitted us for pages and can't muster up a single shred of credible honesty about your own beliefs.

Either you're the person you described in argumentation, and that would be a shitty person..or you're not..just a liar, and that would also be a shitty person.  Take your pick.

No it's not a moot point. No, that describes my views in relationship to your moral beliefs. But I just indicated my beliefs, and didn't say anything  about my actions. 

I also don't see myself as unique, but as much an everyman, with nothing particular about my environment or moral development distinct from most people in the world, so if I constitute as a shitty person, it's unlikely to be a unique judgement, but one that can be leveled at humanity as a whole, as a result of shared environments and biological histories.
You might imagine that everyone else is just as shitty as you are..but that's more a way of making yourself feel better than an accurate representation of humanity, and presents no cogent criticism of any moral system.

I don't even get the point of this new diversion.  You failed to make the case for god belief.   Explicitly describing yourself as a complete douche, as though this had anything to say on moral authority...when you had previously argued to the contrary yourself...was superfluous.

For all this meaningless and irrelevant shit about inconsistency in others and some non-existent contradiction between atheism and realism, you've expressed meaningful and relevant inconsistencies in your own beliefs, beliefs which you are cagey and duplicitous about. Yours has been a running example in how not to offer a challenging or sophisticated theology.

(April 9, 2019 at 2:37 pm)Acrobat Wrote:
(April 9, 2019 at 2:10 pm)Gae Bolga Wrote: You're only telling us about the quality of the theists you know.  Unsuprising to me, if they're of a similar quality as yourself.

Your definition remains what it always was.  A poor attempt to frame a doomed argument.  The belief you described can be held and rejected by atheists or theists alike, and is not what the term god refers to, nor is it what the term atheism refers to.

I define gods as amoral time traveling toasters.  Amoral time traveling toasters don't exist, therefore gods aren't real and your beliefs are inconsistent with moral reality.  QED...right?

Lol how are you an atheists going to tell me what the term god refers to? Or that my definition isn’t a description of a god belief?

What percentage of theists, let say Christians would disagree that all men can know of God, is what God reveals to them? That man can know nothing more of God than his revelation?

I’m pointing out that hardly any Christian, fundie, or otherwise would disagree with this, it’s just that you fail to understand basic theistic beliefs like this.

Someone clearly has to point it out to you...because you don't have the first clue wtf you're talking about, lol?

You believe that life has meaning. Well..welcome to the club? That doesn't make you a theist, and that's not the thing that atheism refers to.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Maybe there's something like a god out there. Ryantology 38 3104 June 5, 2020 at 8:42 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Do u want there to be a God? Any God? Agnostico 304 30688 December 19, 2018 at 1:20 am
Last Post: Amarok
  Two Myths I Wish Atheists Would Stop Buying Into Rhondazvous 26 4787 June 7, 2018 at 8:21 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  His wish sounds familiar purplepurpose 1 929 November 16, 2017 at 4:55 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  I'd like to ask my fellow atheists if they would be happy to learn there was a god. Whateverist 88 16556 September 4, 2017 at 1:27 am
Last Post: Astonished
  "There is a god because e = mc²" bheath 58 10869 February 24, 2017 at 7:18 pm
Last Post: bheath
  I wish I had yall on Facebook mlmooney89 115 17067 August 5, 2016 at 12:26 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Wish purplepurpose 33 3537 June 11, 2016 at 2:31 am
Last Post: purplepurpose
  Don't tell a Religious person "There is no God" Heat 46 8394 October 25, 2015 at 2:48 pm
Last Post: Mikazuki
  Wish this nutjob would hurry up and die. Spooky 30 6060 August 11, 2015 at 12:38 am
Last Post: Iroscato