Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 14, 2024, 10:29 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Serious] What God's justification for eternal torment?
RE: What God's justification for eternal torment?
The better question would be why don't you? Particularly with your invocation of might. We've heard your position on genocides ordered by gods, but as you used the holocaust in your remarks above it's clear that you believe it to be in the "bad" category of untruth.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Quote:Do you advocate the holocaust?  That was accepted standard in Germany for a while.  If you don't, then it does not follow that the truth is a subset of accepted standards.
And you didn't refute her point at all
"Change was inevitable"

Nemo sicut deus debet esse!

[Image: Canada_Flag.jpg?v=1646203843]

“No matter what men think, abortion is a fact of life. Women have always had them; they always have and they always will. Are they going to have good ones or bad ones? Will the good ones be reserved for the rich, while the poor women go to quacks?”
–SHIRLEY CHISHOLM

The truth of the holocaust having happened does not excuse it having happened. Crossed wires, indeed.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(October 10, 2020 at 11:34 pm)runewell Wrote:
(October 10, 2020 at 8:42 pm)Angrboda Wrote: You're equivocating.  If what is moral is defined by accepted standards, then the class of true moral propositions ("truth") is defined by those accepted standards.  You're trying to appeal to a different definition of moral truth, an objective one, after having adopted this first definition.  That's an error.  Either what is morally true is what accords with accepted standards, or it is not; you can't have it both ways.

Do you advocate the holocaust?  That was accepted standard in Germany for a while.  If you don't, then it does not follow that the truth is a subset of accepted standards.

That doesn't follow, but since it's irrelevant, it does not matter. Go back and reread my last response and reply once you've actually understood what I wrote.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(October 10, 2020 at 7:01 pm)runewell Wrote: Regarding: So far his morality is "Might makes right".

Well, it's an easy and convenient argument to make, and one I agree with.  I don't want to limit my replies to that narrow rebuttal, but it may become necessary.  When I was asked about holding God to some sort of standard, I immediately recused myself from that idea - I don't hold God to any standard, and wouldn't want to worship one who could be.

Jesus said, "there is no one good but God".  You might not like the idea of the Israelites committing genocide in the old testament or hellfire in the new testament, but those are expressions of his justice.  The initial post of this thread rages against the idea of eternal torment as an appropriate punishment,

If you find yourself unable to determine what is right because you lack the moral compass for it (your little notion of recusing yourself, as if it was some legality or something), then by what metric do you determine that god is good™?

If you don't understand this, then think of it this way: I can write the same sentence above, translate it, into 2 other languages I know, one of which there's no Google Translate for. Now, I recuse myself from being able to translate that sentence into Mandarin, because I am not able to due to lack of knowledge & ability.

In this analogy conferred to your argument, you're simultaneously claiming to know English and being able to translate it to Mandarin. I'm sure you'd be able to using a tool like Google Translate, but would you understand what it said in Mandarin ... ?
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself — and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman
(October 8, 2020 at 11:05 am)Nay_Sayer Wrote:
(October 8, 2020 at 1:57 am)Nomad Wrote: Are you saying god's not all powerful nor all knowing?  That'd be going against a basic christian belief.

It'll be a tap-dancing answer the likes of which will put Riverdance to shame.  If only he knew he's worshiping a false idol.

RAmen

It's easy to put riverdance to shame, it's not a proper ceilí.

(October 8, 2020 at 5:08 pm)runewell Wrote:
(October 8, 2020 at 1:04 pm)The Grand Nudger Wrote: The trouble with foreknowledge and free will has nothing to do with a god, or with anyone making anyone else do anything.  

Laying aside the logical issues with foreknowledge and free will entirely, we'll have further moral difficulty understanding why an attribute that would make us responsible for x would not also make a god responsible for x.  If we do something knowing full well the consequence of that act, we hold ourselves responsible for that outcome.  

Do we hold gods to lesser standards than men?

We don't hold God to any standards, because He is God.  You can make up any standard you like, but you would be totally powerless to enforce it, so it is a moot point.  Therefore, it does not follow that if we are responsible for X then God is also responsible for X.

Why should we not hold this proposed being to a standard? If it is so good and just and merciful, then it should be more than happy to submit itself to a code of behaviour.

(October 8, 2020 at 5:21 pm)runewell Wrote:
(October 7, 2020 at 6:48 pm)Sal Wrote: Do you think man-made laws are descriptive?

How do you square that god, in giving life, supposedly along with the Free Will™, is also sanctioned in ending it? You're arguing for nothing different than for parents to murder their children at a whim. Again, abhorrent and disgusting.

I don't understand the point of your first question.

How do you square that God, in giving live, is NOT sanctioned in ending it?  You're arguing for a God who is unable to do whatever He wants - Who is going to bring Him to justice?.  Laughable and illogical.

My parents gave me life, they have no sanction to end my life. Same with your parents.

Your fictional god doesn't come into the first side of your equation, therefore he has even less of a sanction to kill you than your parents do.

(October 10, 2020 at 11:34 pm)runewell Wrote:
(October 10, 2020 at 8:42 pm)Angrboda Wrote: You're equivocating.  If what is moral is defined by accepted standards, then the class of true moral propositions ("truth") is defined by those accepted standards.  You're trying to appeal to a different definition of moral truth, an objective one, after having adopted this first definition.  That's an error.  Either what is morally true is what accords with accepted standards, or it is not; you can't have it both ways.

Do you advocate the holocaust? .

No but you did up thread. You stated that if god decreed a holocauset then it was good. Nazi Germany was a christian nation under a christian ruler who thought he was doing the will of god. By your own definition the holocaust was just and moral, given those facts.
Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli

Home
(October 11, 2020 at 2:43 am)Sal Wrote: If you find yourself unable to determine what is right because you lack the moral compass for it (your little notion of recusing yourself, as if it was some legality or something), then by what metric do you determine that god is good™?

Did the Germans have a moral compass when they slaughtered the Jews?

People can do what they think is right or what they want to be right, but that doesn't make it right.

You bring up an important point, by what metric is good™ defined?  If there is no standard of right or wrong and we do as we see fit, there won't be much left to discuss except when differing opinions on what is good eventually clash.
(October 11, 2020 at 1:29 pm)runewell Wrote:
(October 11, 2020 at 2:43 am)Sal Wrote: If you find yourself unable to determine what is right because you lack the moral compass for it (your little notion of recusing yourself, as if it was some legality or something), then by what metric do you determine that god is good™?

People can do what they think is right or what they want to be right, but that doesn't make it right.

You bring up an important point, by what metric is good™ defined?  If there is no standard of right or wrong and we do as we see fit, there won't be much left to discuss except when differing opinions on what is good eventually clash.

For starters, 'the Germans' didn't slaughter Jews, the Nazis (and particularly the SS) did. Most Germans were unaware of the slaughter while it was happening, and the ones who were aware mostly abhorred it. But yes - the Nazis did have a moral compass which they used to justify the Holocaust.

What people think is right or what they want to be right is EXACTLY what makes actions right or wrong. How people view these concepts changes with time and varies by culture, but 'right' and 'wrong' are exclusively human notions.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(October 7, 2020 at 6:48 pm)Sal Wrote:
(October 7, 2020 at 6:27 pm)runewell Wrote: How do you lawfully murder someone, if murder is unlawful killing?  How do you lawfully unlawfully kill someone?  That's a contradication.

As for the non-sequitur, how does it not follow that if God can give life, he can take it away?  I wasn't referring to humans there.

And finally you call me in error for not expressing an opinion about the other adjectives??

Do you think man-made laws are descriptive?

How do you square that god, in giving life, supposedly along with the Free Will™, is also sanctioned in ending it? You're arguing for nothing different than for parents to murder their children at a whim. Again, abhorrent and disgusting.

In England it was legal to kill protestants, then a few years later it was legal to kill catholics.

I view both of those as murder, but they were legal at the time.

(October 11, 2020 at 1:29 pm)runewell Wrote:

It was quite standard practice in eurpoe for christians to kill jews, the nazis basically expanded an old tradition. 

Quote:The Rhineland massacres, also known as the persecutions of 1096 or Gzerot Tatnó[1] (Hebrew: גזרות תתנ"ו‎, Hebrew for "Edicts of 4856"), were a series of mass murders of Jews perpetrated by mobs of German Christians of the People's Crusade in the year 1096, or 4856 according to the Jewish calendar. The massacre is seen as the first in a sequence of antisemitic events in Europe which culminated in the Holocaust.[2]

Prominent leaders of crusaders involved in the massacres included Peter the Hermit and especially Count Emicho.[3] As part of this persecution, the destruction of Jewish communities in SpeyerWorms and Mainz was noted as the "Hurban Shum" (Destruction of Shum).[4] These were new persecutions of the Jews in which peasant crusaders from France and Germany attacked Jewish communities. A number of historians refer to the antisemitic events as "pogroms".[5]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhineland_massacres

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Quote:Did the Germans have a moral compass when they slaughtered the Jews?

Yay totally avoiding Sals question
"Change was inevitable"

Nemo sicut deus debet esse!

[Image: Canada_Flag.jpg?v=1646203843]

“No matter what men think, abortion is a fact of life. Women have always had them; they always have and they always will. Are they going to have good ones or bad ones? Will the good ones be reserved for the rich, while the poor women go to quacks?”
–SHIRLEY CHISHOLM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I'm a Universalist - Can anyone convince me of 'Eternal Damnationism'? The Kreisel 16 1493 February 26, 2021 at 3:02 am
Last Post: beepete
  Did Yahweh do us a favor by denying us eternal life? Greatest I am 30 2675 July 26, 2020 at 3:03 pm
Last Post: Greatest I am
  Jesus suffering vs eternal suffering of temporary sinners purplepurpose 72 9523 November 19, 2018 at 4:55 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Eternal afterlife purplepurpose 129 25295 February 14, 2018 at 8:46 am
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  Little children who died without Baptism go to eternal Hell?! Jehanne 34 6170 February 29, 2016 at 6:22 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Biblical justification for scripture cherry picking ?? vorlon13 8 3027 November 17, 2015 at 3:00 pm
Last Post: Drich
  Q: What is trans-galactic, eternal and omni-everything? A: God, necessarily? Whateverist 21 5670 August 11, 2015 at 5:31 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Speculate on Jesus 3 days of HELLISH torment !!! vorlon13 136 26030 August 9, 2015 at 8:53 pm
Last Post: McDoogins
  Eternal Hells - Do not exist! themonkeyman 11 4170 June 17, 2014 at 11:01 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  God is god, and we are not god StoryBook 43 12683 January 6, 2014 at 5:47 pm
Last Post: StoryBook