Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 8:45 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheism and the existence of peanut butter
RE: Atheism and the existence of peanut butter
(November 3, 2021 at 2:29 pm)Klorophyll Wrote:
(November 2, 2021 at 10:04 pm)polymath257 Wrote: The point is that causality isn't a principle of thought. It is a testable hypothesis about how the universe works.

No, it isn't. After doing a bit of reserch on the matter I found out that causality is an axiom of Quantum theory (attempt to bring together QM and GR).

https://arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/9709026
Quote : Quantum mechanics permits nonlocality - both nonlocal correlations and nonlocal equations of motion - while respecting relativistic causality.

https://arxiv.org/abs/1011.6451
Quote : Quantum theory can be derived from purely informational principles. Five elementary axioms-causality, perfect distinguishability, ideal compression, local distinguishability, and pure conditioning.

https://archive.org/stream/naturalphilosoph032159mbp/naturalphilosoph032159mbp_djvu.txt 
Quote: physics has given up causality is entirely unfounded. Modem physics, it is true, has given up or modified many traditional ideas ; but it would cease to be a science if it had given up the search for the causes of phenomena. (The author is Max Born, the famous German physicist)

So no, causality is not a testable hypothesis, but an axiom embedded in the framework of all modern physical theories.

Don't get stuck on the word here. Read deeper and find out what they mean by the word 'causality' in these papers. You will find that it is NOT the same as what you think of as causality.

For example, relativistic causality is the claim that events that are separated by a timelike relativistic separation are uncorrelated. it is a question about probabilities and correlations, not in necessary conditions. Similarly, in your second paper, the notion of causality is that there is no 'signal' from the future. Again, this is ultimately saying there is no correlation between events that are timelike separated.

Finally, the notion of causality in your third article is dependent on the existence of natural laws. So, once again, it does not address the fact that ALL causality, such as it exists, is within the universe and a consequence of the natural laws. it does NOT support your claim for causality outside of the universe, nor even the claim of simultaneous causality within the universe.

Finally, the fact that the quantum relativistic version of causality is an 'assumption' is precisely what makes it part of a testable theory. it is NOT a law of thought, but an aspect of the proposed scientific theory: an aspect to be tested (are events correlated or not?) and not something required to even think about natural laws.

In other words, you are quoting articles you clearly do not comprehend simply because they have a couple of phrases that seem to align with your position. if they are read more closely, they directly contradict your basic claims.
In other words, cherry-picking quote mining?? Typical of religious apologists. I am glad that Polymath is not sending all of Us a bill.
Kloro wouldn't pay it, so it's good he doesn't expect one.  

Like anyone else who comes here to insist on djinn...the idea that any logical or factual thing premises their god belief is a dispensible piece of flak.  They insist, and will explicitly insist, that any and every bit of reality defer and be corrected by their stupid god beliefs.  Their's...mind you, not anything to do with gods.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(November 2, 2021 at 9:17 am)Belacqua Wrote:
(November 2, 2021 at 9:12 am)Jehanne Wrote: If it can't be measured, then, it doesn't exist, or, at least it doesn't matter if it exists or not.

One can't measure stupidity.

Can Christian faith Be measured?   If so, that is a perfect measure of stupidity.
(November 2, 2021 at 9:17 am)Belacqua Wrote:
(November 2, 2021 at 9:12 am)Jehanne Wrote: If it can't be measured, then, it doesn't exist, or, at least it doesn't matter if it exists or not.

One can't measure stupidity.

Yes Bel.

Hence why we totally don't have such things as 'Darwin awards'.

Coffee

Not at work.
(November 4, 2021 at 4:10 pm)Jehanne Wrote: In other words, cherry-picking quote mining??  Typical of religious apologists.  I am glad that Polymath is not sending all of Us a bill.

He does the same with the Stephen Hawking quote about the no boundary proposal. He quotes a sentence that isn't Hawking stating his own view but offering a retrospective on the state of the evidence. But Klor quotes it as if it were his views because Klor is a shitstain creationist moron.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(November 4, 2021 at 12:03 pm)polymath257 Wrote: For example, relativistic causality is the claim that events that are separated by a timelike relativistic separation are uncorrelated. 

I am really curious to know from where you're pulling these definitions exactly? Please supplement your claims with reliable sources.  Relativistic causality means that causal processes or signals can propagate only within the light-cone. This means that causes must precede effects in space-time.

Source: https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-019-09505-2
Quote: In all relativistic theories, causality is imposed, i.e., the requirement that causes must precede effects in all space–time rest frames.

Source: https://www.researchgate.net/publication..._Causality
Quote: I discuss the idea of relativistic causality i.e. the requirement that causal processes or signals can propagate only within the light-cone.

Correlations are involved at the quantum level, there is absolutely no mention of the word correlation in any textbook treatment of Special Relativity.
Well, pull the brakes. It's important to ask if you could be made aware of how you got this entirely wrong, would you then abandon the beliefs allegedly proved by and so predicate on getting that thing wrong?

Because, if not, they were never important to your beliefs to begin with...you've been wasting everyone's time, including your own. Also committing blasphemy and bearing false witness about your god..if those are things that are important to you.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(November 5, 2021 at 11:12 am)The Grand Nudger Wrote: Well, pull the brakes.  It's important to ask if you could be made aware of how you got this entirely wrong, would you then abandon the beliefs allegedly proved by and so predicate on getting that thing wrong?

Because, if not, they were never important to your beliefs to begin with...you've been wasting everyone's time, including your own.  Also committing blasphemy and bearing false witness about your god..if those are things that are important to you.

Can you just shut it ?  You don't seem to grasp the idea of proving something step by step - that's it. Theism comes much later, once we prove deism. And we can't prove deism without things like causality *sigh*
Proving deism disproves theism by default, they're directly contradictory claims.

If you wanna go all thomas jefferson on us, by all means have at it...but, again, if being right or wrong about this isn't actually important to you, what's the point of pretending that it is? I mean what's the point, for your beliefs...not whether being a dipshit is useful to irritating people who know more than you do. I consider that manifestly proven by this and any number of other threads on the topic.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Christian and Atheism Worldwide Demographics: Current Realities and Future Trends. Nishant Xavier 55 2751 July 9, 2023 at 6:07 am
Last Post: no one
  Do atheists believe in the existence of friendship? KerimF 191 10117 June 9, 2023 at 3:32 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  What is the worst religion in existence? Hi600 89 6199 May 6, 2023 at 12:55 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  A "meta-argument" against all future arguments for God's existence ? R00tKiT 225 15915 April 17, 2022 at 2:11 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
Information The Best Logique Evidence of God Existence Nogba 225 24266 August 2, 2019 at 11:44 am
Last Post: comet
  Atheists being asked about the existence of Jesus Der/die AtheistIn 154 17288 January 24, 2019 at 1:30 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Arguments against existence of God. Mystic 336 78318 December 7, 2018 at 1:03 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  If the existence of an enduring soul was proven... Gawdzilla Sama 45 4624 November 26, 2018 at 5:17 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Proof of God Existence faramirofgondor 39 8144 April 20, 2018 at 3:38 pm
Last Post: Enlightened Ape
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 27132 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13