Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 10, 2024, 2:01 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Prayer ... SERIOUSLY?!
RE: Prayer ... SERIOUSLY?!
In the context? Homosexuality is THE reason for execution.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(July 1, 2011 at 9:06 pm)reverendjeremiah Wrote: I agree that MANY Christians are asssholes. I do not agree that MOST are. I do not wish to speak for Deist Paladin, but I am willing to bet that he and other Deists agree with me that most Christians display Deistic tendencies when really confronted about their beliefs.
Yes. Few of them have even read the Bible. Most would be surprised to learn about what the Bible really says. An atheist on another forum once wrote that "every liberal Christian is one rational conversation away from becoming a deist."

The most notable difference between the feel-good god of liberal Christianity and the distant god of deism is the personal relationship (or lack thereof). Nature's God is a hard-ass and aint gonna carry you on any beach. Deconverting Christians are known to use deism as a way station on their way to atheism, but I suspect many find Nature's God a cold substitute for the hippy Jesus.

Quote:Homophobia and arrogance is something that ANYBODY can fall victim to, regardless of religious belief. I agree that Atheists tend to be drastically LESS homophobic than the god believers.

Largely true but, of course, there are exceptions.

If I had to rate the most homophobic guys I know, it would be a toss up between a Christian and an atheist that I personally know. The only difference is that Islamo-Christianity offers you a cover ("Oh, it's not me, it's God that feels this way"). When you're an atheist with feelings of bigotry, you have to either own them or try to hide them. Hence, the difference between the two is the Christian I know is outspoken about his feelings toward gays, openly using the word "fag". The atheist on the other hand, shows a curious duality between nature and consciously projected demeanor (especially after I came out as bisexual). He's the type who would utter an anti-gay slur and then back peddle with a "um not that there's anything wrong with that".

Also see "Dotard" for another example. Atheists can be bigoted. They just don't have the same cover Islamo-Christians do.
(July 2, 2011 at 1:38 am)Shell B Wrote: I have to agree with Void and Stat, though Stat's reasoning -- if you can call it that -- is different than Void's reasoning. The very suffix phobia connotes fear. Any base followed by phobia is an irrational fear of whatever that base word describes. In fact, I would go even further and say that homophobia, and other phobias, is more than just fear. It is intense fear, anxiety and irrational reactions to homosexuals. I have never met anyone who is actually homophobic, though I have bandied the term about more than I care to admit in this post. Tongue

It's an irrational fear that makes it a phobia. Fear of heights might be rational if there was a significant chance of falling to one's death. Just being afraid of heights regardless of the safety of the viewing position is what makes it acrophobia. Fear of snakes would be rational if a cobra suddenly appeared in your lab but a intense fear-reaction to a pet snake is ophidiophobia.

The two guys I discussed above who have intense hatred of gay men also demonstrate obvious feelings of rape-anxiety. One of them actually will about half the time the subject of homosexuality comes up go into a monologue, without any prompting, about his fear of being raped by a man. Not once has anyone I know asked him about what he would do in such a scenario and yet he feels the need to segueway abruptly into the subject a good half of the time. The other seems less obsessed with fears of being raped by another man but still overreacts when the subject comes up. He'll go on for minutes making it clear he "doesn't swing that way" despite the fact than no man I know of has ever hit on him or asked him if he does. In these two cases "phobia" is an apt term.
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist
(July 3, 2011 at 12:43 am)DeistPaladin Wrote: The two guys I discussed above who have intense hatred of gay men also demonstrate obvious feelings of rape-anxiety. One of them actually will about half the time the subject of homosexuality comes up go into a monologue, without any prompting, about his fear of being raped by a man. Not once has anyone I know asked him about what he would do in such a scenario and yet he feels the need to segueway abruptly into the subject a good half of the time. The other seems less obsessed with fears of being raped by another man but still overreacts when the subject comes up. He'll go on for minutes making it clear he "doesn't swing that way" despite the fact than no man I know of has ever hit on him or asked him if he does. In these two cases "phobia" is an apt term.

Sounds like they're sexually repressed. The reason they have this 'rape anxiety' is because they're afraid of even asking themselves if they are homosexual. They are overcompensating with their defenses to keep themselves from even asking the question. Some people can't confront their sexuality head on for fear that they might actually turn out to be gay.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(July 2, 2011 at 6:54 pm)Aerzia Saerules Arktuos Wrote:
(July 2, 2011 at 1:40 am)Rhythm Wrote: Execution is a rational reaction to a homosexual?

Depends. Did you have a reason for it or not?

Rationality is overrated... I'll take pragmatism over it any day Levitate

how could executing a gay person be rational in anyway? lol I don't get it.
"God didn't make us in his image, we made him, her, and its in ours"
Meh, some christians but not all...In the context of their christianity, they're all assholes. Scapegoating, celestial authoritarianism, thought crimes, eternal punishments....serfdom..whether the believer acts upon these impulses, is to me, irrelevant. What does it say about a person who wishes these things to be true? To me it just screams asshole.

Just an opinion, of course.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(July 2, 2011 at 10:58 pm)Rhythm Wrote: In the context? Homosexuality is THE reason for execution.

Then it is rational.

(July 3, 2011 at 5:24 am)adam_1992p Wrote: how could executing a gay person be rational in anyway? lol I don't get it.

Were they eating the crescent rolls? Or perhaps tainting your air? Or should they be euthanized for your safety, security, and general happiness?

Doing something because of a reason makes it rational. Irrational beings do not act on reason... they just act. Irrational behavior is necessarily without reason.

DP Wrote:Also see "Dotard" for another example. Atheists can be bigoted. They just don't have the same cover Islamo-Christians do.

Of course... Dotard is awesome Tongue
(July 3, 2011 at 5:06 am)FaithNoMore Wrote: Sounds like they're sexually repressed. The reason they have this 'rape anxiety' is because they're afraid of even asking themselves if they are homosexual. They are overcompensating with their defenses to keep themselves from even asking the question. Some people can't confront their sexuality head on for fear that they might actually turn out to be gay.

Which men should never do. Gay men and straight women: how you upset my happy little world.
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
You know it occurs to me that we could argue on this subject all day and not actually disagree Ar. My position is simply that gods reason is no reason, ergo..irrational..lol.

Maybe I could take the tack that the believer feels that he may be punished by eternal damnation should he fail to carry out the sentence of execution. Which you could again claim is rational...and which I would again say is not..lol.

But I do understand where you're coming from.

Agree to disagree Smile
I would hate to imagine that somewhere, right now, a fundie is quoting you on a web board..

"See even atheists agree that the position is rational!"
Quote:You know it occurs to me that we could argue on this subject all day and not actually disagree Ar. My position is simply that gods reason is no reason, ergo..irrational..lol.

Maybe I could take the tack that the believer feels that he may be punished by eternal damnation should he fail to carry out the sentence of execution. Which you could again claim is rational...and which I would again say is not..lol.

But I do understand where you're coming from.

Agree to disagree

Pansy Dodgy

Quote:I would hate to imagine that somewhere, right now, a fundie is quoting you on a web board..

"See even atheists agree that the position is rational!"

Me an atheist? Hah... perish the thought ROFLOL

I am a demigod, and Regulos is anything but not real Tongue
(July 3, 2011 at 3:02 pm)Aerzia Saerules Arktuos Wrote: Pansy Dodgy

You, me, pistols, 20 paces..lol.

(July 3, 2011 at 3:11 pm)Rhythm Wrote:
(July 3, 2011 at 3:02 pm)Aerzia Saerules Arktuos Wrote: Pansy Dodgy

You, me, pistols, 20 paces..lol.

* Violet pulls out her knife as you turn and shanks you in the back.

Understand what kind of dishonorable and vengeful creature you deal with here... I am Empress of the Silicoid... matched for power only by the Emperor of the Meklar in this galaxy.

And I didn't get the job by being fair and kind.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  On the lunacy of prayer slartibartfast 100 5765 October 12, 2021 at 12:17 am
Last Post: slartibartfast
  Global Prayer To End Atheism Foxaèr 60 7838 August 25, 2021 at 8:20 am
Last Post: Brian37
  [Serious] Care to Seriously Consider the Existance of a Creator (God)? theMadJW 117 10742 April 29, 2020 at 12:40 pm
Last Post: polymath257
  A prayer to God ... ignoramus 10 1057 May 3, 2019 at 11:17 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Why We don't take your Holy Scriptures Seriously vulcanlogician 75 7947 October 25, 2018 at 5:15 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Question about prayer. purplepurpose 27 5798 October 4, 2018 at 2:06 pm
Last Post: Drich
  What do you think prayer is? vulcanlogician 44 6156 February 2, 2018 at 4:12 pm
Last Post: emjay
  Can prayer change God's perfect plan? MellisaClarke 217 63978 May 23, 2017 at 8:33 am
Last Post: SteveII
  Prayer Athena777 181 16977 December 13, 2016 at 12:38 pm
Last Post: Asmodee
Information You must seek something else, or something is seriously wrong with you WinterHold 23 3460 August 7, 2016 at 7:52 am
Last Post: chimp3