Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 4, 2024, 11:33 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What about Jonah? That could've been true!
RE: What about Jonah? That could've been true!
It only gets translated into "Jonah and the Whale", because "Jonah and the Giant Monster that Dwells in the Deep" sounds entirely too much like a fairy tale for the religious to handle. The people that wrote this narrative had, in all liklihood, never seen a whale. It's a monster story, not a story about whales or fish. They believed in monsters, and since they couldn't find any on land, they imagined that they were hiding under water. To propose anything else about such a monster is to run the risk of being called on obvious bullshit. That's something you can't risk when these myths are your meal ticket.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Peter Benchley did a far better version of that tale.
Trying to update my sig ...
Hehehe, the books are always better than the movies. In the spirit of great fiction...

"Jonah and Mokele Mbembe" would get my kudos, if such a tale were written.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(December 3, 2011 at 9:22 pm)Justtristo Wrote: How can anybody with a little bit of common sense take this story (The Book of Jonah) as anything other than an fairy tale beats me.

Well, from what I've been able to guess, the Book of Jonah was written as a satire; notice the content of the last part of the book: a town of degenerate sinners converts on Jonah's say-so, and afterwards, Jonah eagerly awaits their destruction by God and has a hissy fit when God doesn't do so. The targets are essentially the same kind of people who are bull-headed enough to say that it's possible for a man to survive three days alive in a fish's bowels because the Bible says it's possible.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
(December 4, 2011 at 3:03 am)reverendjeremiah Wrote: Jonah is an obvious fish tale. Only people like Lucent actually think stories like Jonah are actual historic record.

Come on, reverend! You know better than that. You either accept the Bible, in its entirety, or you reject it. A good Xtian can't pick and choose what he likes to submit to and what he doesn't.

Funnily enough, though, we have at least a dozen ministers and priests overhere who are public and vocal about them really being atheists! And their parishes/ministries know about it and accept it. They conduct services in their churches every week! Big Grin

So IRL at least a magnitude more than that are also really atheists. Non-believers. Only they aren't public/vocal about it. A simple case of job security, of course. Angel

And an endless supply of little boys... Angry

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Could God be impotent? Fake Messiah 7 1102 February 25, 2023 at 10:18 am
Last Post: brewer
  [Serious] Could an omnipotent and omniscient god prove that he was God? Jehanne 136 9070 January 26, 2023 at 11:33 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  I am stunned religion hasn't been abolished yet Agnostic1 50 3334 December 30, 2021 at 2:15 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  I've Been MIRACLED!!! brokefree 1 781 June 9, 2021 at 8:02 pm
Last Post: Belacqua
  What do you believe in that hasnt been proven to exist? goombah111 197 24418 March 5, 2021 at 6:47 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Reason Jesus must have been a real person mrj 74 10214 March 5, 2021 at 6:44 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Religion and health - not exactly what we've been told.... Angrboda 4 736 July 22, 2018 at 10:18 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  The little church that could. Chad32 21 4147 May 25, 2018 at 4:06 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The One True Dog Thread BrianSoddingBoru4 20 5215 March 16, 2018 at 1:39 pm
Last Post: Joods
  These Guys Could Give Religion A Good Name. Minimalist 2 814 March 15, 2018 at 12:45 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd