Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: October 2, 2026, 4:24 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
morality is subjective and people don't have free will
RE: morality is subjective and people don't have free will
(May 17, 2017 at 5:36 pm)SteveII Wrote:
(May 17, 2017 at 10:53 am)Neo-Scholastic Wrote: Couldn't the Holy Spirit fill that role?

SteveII, I’d like to know how your think about total depravity. Scripture teaches that in our fallen and corrupted state we are slaves to sin (John 8:34, Titus 3:3, Romans 8:7), that people cannot of their own choice turn towards the Lord (1 Corinthians 2:14, 2 Corinthians 4:3-4, Mathew 11:27) and it is only by the power of the Holy Spirit that people are called to salvation (John 6:44-45, John 3:27, Romans 9:16).

Also, it certainly seems like God is able to constrain or overpower free will when it suits His purpose, as when Peter denies Christ three times. So generally, it seems to me that libertarian free will in not something natural to man as a conditioned being – only God has unconditioned free will. However, when our hearts and purposes are aligned with His we partake of that unconditioned free will, i.e. Christian Liberty.

Well, I call the immaterial mind that governs reason, freely chooses action, is the conscious command center of the body, is the enduring "I", and the thing that can be intentional about something the soul. I believe our soul is tainted by sin and we cannot do anything about that. Anyone who has had a 2 year old child can attest to the fact that we are born knowing how to sin.

I am not a Calvinist-- I think we have libertarian free will and God's foreknowledge is routed in his middle knowledge (molinism).
I am frankly nauseated by this doctrine.  As if a child learning how to behave (through often misbehaving) is sin.  

I sincerely hope you do not taint any little minds with this sick perversion that will instill in them an unnecessary self hate for the rest of their lives.  Ick.
“Eternity is a terrible thought. I mean, where's it going to end?” 
― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead
Reply



Messages In This Thread
RE: morality is subjective and people don't have free will - by Aroura - May 17, 2017 at 5:56 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  This atheist is embarrassing, and I don't like her. Here's why. Twiggy 22 1700 August 29, 2026 at 8:01 pm
Last Post: Belacqua
Thumbs Down Words That People Don’t Use Anymore, But Should BrianSoddingBoru4 66 8484 February 23, 2026 at 10:48 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Free COVID tests again awty 6 1639 December 13, 2023 at 9:18 pm
Last Post: awty
  Looking for free online platform? franzis 6 2160 May 13, 2023 at 4:46 pm
Last Post: awty
  Restaurant to eat free for a year Fake Messiah 6 2089 January 17, 2023 at 7:22 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Stuff you have done (that most people haven' t) onlinebiker 54 14584 October 4, 2022 at 2:57 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Are there any active, free, text-only chat sites that are still going? Mechaghostman2 6 2256 January 4, 2021 at 3:56 pm
Last Post: awty
  Should poor people have kids? BrokenQuill92 78 21784 November 29, 2019 at 11:59 pm
Last Post: BrokenQuill92
  Not another morality post!! Mechaghostman2 5 1964 February 18, 2019 at 11:53 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  One of the tragedies of free will purplepurpose 0 770 November 20, 2018 at 2:35 pm
Last Post: purplepurpose



Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)