Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 4, 2024, 4:14 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Paul Ryan Criticized over "Thoughts and Prayers" Comment
RE: Paul Ryan Criticized over "Thoughts and Prayers" Comment
(November 8, 2017 at 9:55 am)Brian37 Wrote: To be fair to CL, not everyone has deep pockets nor can spend time advocating. My objection is to the logic of ALL theism, not just her.

If all someone has to offer is kind words, sometimes that is really all they have to offer. But, on a national political level, for those who DO have the money and means, there is no excuse. That cliche is far to political, and used by opportunists to keep power. But when she offers her condolences I believe she means it. I simply don't agree with the logic that prayer works. I am talking about the power level, and those in power who offer it up, to keep support. Action is more at the top, in those who have the power. Everyday laypeople cant do what the rich do to solve these problems. They cant do what politicians do at the same level. I do think grass roots helps, pushing at the bottom sure. But I am not going to say that everyone can end up being a Martin Luther King Jr, or a Malala or JFK. 

I am tired of "thoughts an prayers" as well. It is hollow and meaningless. All the world's religions pray for their respective heros and holy leaders to protect them. And it still remains the ride ends, even for their leaders, even for the rich. Actions do matter, but to me, the responsibility starts at the top.

That's why I said in my second post making the point that one of the things you could do is go over and sympathise (and maybe bring a pot roast or a stew or something). Even donating a small bit of money to a fund is infinitely greater help than prayer (and lest anybody think I'm not au fait with poverty, I've spent quite a time unemployed and my highest paying employment is my current one where I'm grossing €22.5k per annum [got a good pension plan though being a civil servant] and I've always been able to give money to worthy causes, if I'm careful with managing my money).
Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli

Home

Messages In This Thread
RE: Paul Ryan Criticized over "Thoughts and Prayers" Comment - by GUBU - November 8, 2017 at 4:08 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Irish government to apologise over mother-and-baby homes zebo-the-fat 6 510 January 12, 2021 at 6:32 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Paul Krassner Dies! chimp3 1 277 July 22, 2019 at 6:33 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Paul Ryan Really Did Have Brass Balls. Minimalist 0 237 December 1, 2018 at 3:43 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Rand Paul: The Postman Awlays Betrays Twice Minimalist 2 303 August 8, 2018 at 6:58 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Fucking Paul Ryan - No Balls Minimalist 7 983 May 4, 2018 at 9:10 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Any thoughts on SE Cupp's take on Hillary and Melania? brewer 8 1041 March 28, 2018 at 3:54 pm
  Dust Off Those Thoughts and Prayers... Minimalist 5 972 January 23, 2018 at 6:47 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  A Little Gift From Paul Ryan Minimalist 8 1075 November 18, 2017 at 9:01 am
Last Post: The Industrial Atheist
  I'm Sick of this Thoughts And Prayers, Horseshit Minimalist 63 10992 October 5, 2017 at 11:21 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  Sarah's comment on "Mucchi"....... Brian37 1 370 August 2, 2017 at 10:06 am