Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 4, 2024, 8:30 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Jesus would rather kill, not marry, gay people" - Franklin Graham
RE: "Jesus would rather kill, not marry, gay people" - Franklin Graham
(July 17, 2018 at 10:27 pm)Jörmungandr Wrote:
(July 17, 2018 at 9:19 pm)RoadRunner79 Wrote:
  • I'm not comparing a same sex attracted person with  a toaster.  Not even close.  Bigotry redacted!
This isn't so much a slippery slope argument, but more of an argument to absurdity.   I think it is right to reject these arguments (as it seems do others).  It's not about discrimination to say that marriage doesn't apply to goats or to toasters.  We wouldn't be hating this person, or denying them rights to say that they can't get married, because it is not within the definition of marriage.  And we shoudn't be expected to change that definition in the name of equality.  A marriage is not between a human and a goat or a toaster.  It simply doesn't qualify.  And even worse, a married bachelor is incoherent.  We shouldn't change the definition to allow this, while the same word may be used, it wouldn't be equal, because we are not talking about the same thing anymore (not even close).  When people use to say that rights where being denied, and this is horrible, I would ask as a single person, what rights I didn't have.

This wasn't an argument against same sex unions either. It doesn't show what marriage is or should be.   It wasn't a slippery slope that if you allow this, you must allow these other things (I didn't plan on people agreeing with me).  But I think that it does show that it is not "equality" no matter what.  That marriage is defined, and if you fall outside of that definition, it doesn't make you any less of a person (no more than me being single means I have less rights or am less human than a married person).  Equality in regards to rights and equal protection under the law doesn't mean that we can do whatever we want, or redefine a word, because we want to be a part of something.  I can't just call myself a "Doctor" because I don't qualify.  it's not oppressive.  For a Christian, marriage isn't just a legal or social contract (it's kind of sad, if that is all it is for others).  It is sacred, a gift from God.  It is the union between one man and one woman, two becoming one.  It was set out that way from the beginning. 

We may have disagreements on what marriage is, and who qualifies.  But it is not about hate, or intolerance, or fear.  It's not about denying rights or saying that someone is less human.  Not for myself anyway.  I was being facetious, and perhaps that was wrong and insensitive.  But for the Christian's here or anyone who holds to marriage as being between a man and women, we couldn't say anything, without being shouted down and slandered (even some personal attacks).  So while we may not arrive at the same conclusion; perhaps, people may be a little more tolerant of other views; and realize that we do hold to a definition of marriage, which will necessarily exclude from (we won't even get into marrying cousins).  From the point of view of the state, I actually think it is about the states interest in promoting marriage and who that applies to.  The whole rights thing is just a smoke screen.

How do words even work?

[Image: depositphotos_21362767-stock-photo-confu...-woman.jpg]

I've wondered about these guys saying this kind of stuff to those around them. I've concluded that they either keep it all to themselves, or more likely they are surrounded by people who mostly agree with this kind of "reasoning".
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum

Messages In This Thread
RE: "Jesus would rather kill, not marry, gay people" - Franklin Graham - by robvalue - July 18, 2018 at 2:41 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  It Must Kill These Baptist Shitballs. Minimalist 49 9194 April 17, 2018 at 5:53 am
Last Post: GUBU
  Atheists, Who would You Rather Have as a Neighbor Rhondazvous 56 7582 November 18, 2017 at 6:11 am
Last Post: Aoi Magi
  Theists, Who would You Rather Have as a Neighbor Rhondazvous 23 7881 November 10, 2017 at 6:44 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  If Jesus is not true Sonah 41 9160 October 9, 2017 at 7:02 pm
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  My dad wants me to marry another christian Der/die AtheistIn 40 8475 September 23, 2017 at 3:04 pm
Last Post: mordant
  Why Jesus is not the messiah. Creed of Heresy 59 14327 December 30, 2016 at 5:27 pm
Last Post: Egyptian
  Christians - even the Bible says that Jesus was not God so why do you say he was ? jenny1972 299 45830 November 3, 2015 at 8:07 pm
Last Post: jenny1972
Question "Thou shall not kill" commandment is hypocritical? pocaracas 92 18231 August 26, 2015 at 10:43 am
Last Post: Mr Greene
  Would this be all we need to prove God exists? Or would it require more than this? IanHulett 30 5719 January 21, 2015 at 1:47 pm
Last Post: watchamadoodle
  being told to kill myself by someone who supposedly believe in God mainethinker 266 42142 January 18, 2015 at 12:47 am
Last Post: Mental Outlaw