Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 13, 2024, 6:27 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should you end the relationship with a person for one big mistake?
RE: Should you end the relationship with a person for one big mistake?
(March 12, 2019 at 5:41 am)Der/die AtheistIn Wrote: If someone you love, is usually supportive and did more good than bad ended up making a mistakes that traumatizes you for life, would you continue the relationship? What if it should've been obvious to them that they should've never done it and easy to prevent? What if they didn't get what they did wrong for years? Is it worth the relationship, whenever they feel sorry or not? If in the future you will have moments when you remember what they did, should you call out for it, even if they don't do anything wrong at that particular moment?

This isn't the first post you have made about what to do in a personal relationship with someone.

I can only give you the same advice I gave you before.

1. Only you can really determine what you are willing to live with.

2. It is ok to forgive, but it is also ok to put your foot down. You don't have to be a doormat for anyone.

3. See advice in point #1.

Only you can determine what you are willing to tolerate and what crosses the line.

My late mother and I butted heads alot when I was growing up. We did not abandon each other, but at the same time, none of our conflicts were that bad as to cut ties. I give her lots of credit in her later years for finally seeing me as an adult and an individual and not something to be molded in her image.

But I have cut others out of my life, people I thought were my friends, and even my older biological brother. I didn't wish them ill, but they violated my trust and emotionally sucked the life out of me to the point it simply was not worth it.

You are never going to have a perfect relationship with anyone where disagreements don't happen. Healthy relationships are not about avoiding conflict, but communication, so that when a disagreement happens, that communication becomes about solving a problem. without placing blame and coming to a compromise. 

But regardless, You also do not have to submit yourself to verbal abuse, much less physical abuse. If someone is constantly putting you down or calling you names, that is not friendship or love, that is just their attempt to have power over you. It is unhealthy for you mentally to try to please someone who does that to you. 

Again, only you can determine what you are willing, or not willing to live with. But one should not put up with verbal abuse, much less physical abuse.

In the end it ultimately amounts to your mental health. The people who value you as family or friends allow you to be yourself, and can still have disagreements with you. It becomes harmful and unhealthy if it is constant verbal abuse, or physical abuse.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Should you end the relationship with a person for one big mistake? - by Brian37 - March 12, 2019 at 8:28 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Your Ideal Relationship Arrangement FrustratedFool 135 7950 November 16, 2023 at 5:24 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  [Serious] Relationship Advice zwanzig 8 1408 December 11, 2022 at 1:03 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Relationship Tips And Tricks BrianSoddingBoru4 25 1398 March 17, 2021 at 7:12 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  People who throw tantrums of ending a relationship Der/die AtheistIn 8 1524 May 4, 2019 at 11:17 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Should you ever get revenge through abuse? Der/die AtheistIn 10 1174 March 21, 2019 at 9:46 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  [Serious] You should FEEL BAD because you disagree with me Belacqua 29 2924 March 14, 2019 at 2:23 pm
Last Post: Catharsis
  Can a mistake be so big, that the one who did will never have your respect again? Der/die AtheistIn 31 2238 February 18, 2019 at 12:10 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  My big adventure RobbyPants 26 3134 January 17, 2019 at 11:19 am
Last Post: Yonadav