Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 27, 2024, 5:51 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Enough of this crap, I want to hear directly from god
RE: Enough of this crap, I want to hear directly from god
(November 19, 2020 at 4:35 pm)The Grand Nudger Wrote: I can suggest that there are facts about children which explain this.

Nor do I have to prove that there is no god to demonstrate that purpose can be and is conceived of without one.

And what are these facts ? You provided none. Children are just tilted towards belief, regardless of their culture or their parents' influence.
Of course you can loosen the definition of purpose to take out anything about the divine or heaven. But that would be just you playing with nomenclature.

(November 19, 2020 at 4:35 pm)The Grand Nudger Wrote: No, Kloro, I don't see why not, and I don't think that you will be able to explain why there simply couldn't be an afterlife without a god, or why there simply couldn't be any karmic effect without a god.

Yes.. Of course I can't prove a negative assertion. What's remarkable, though, is that you're prepared to consider the possibility of an afterlife with no god, but not prepared to consider that the universe is the product of a conscious architect. We have more good reasons for the latter than for the former. I think that's a bit dishonest.
Absent any deity, nothing differentiates me technically from a battery. Does a dead battery have an afterlife ? We can't prove that it doesn't, at the same time we know it just won't happen.

(November 19, 2020 at 4:35 pm)The Grand Nudger Wrote: If, ultimately, it's true that there is no afterlife and no god and no karma..then sure, bad people go unpunished.  Arguing that it would be bad if something were not true is not the same as arguing something is true..and, in fact, arguing that something must not be true because that would be bad....is a textbook example of a bad inference.  Sometimes...bad things are true.

I agree. And in this case, what purpose can you make of the universe, while thinking about all the billions of victims of war, genocide, famine, torture, rape, how they're gone forever, how their only precious lives are taken away forever by some lunatic's thirst for power or lust..?

Messages In This Thread
RE: Enough of this crap, I want to hear directly from god - by R00tKiT - November 19, 2020 at 5:14 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Did Jesus want to create a poli-theism religion? Eclectic 83 6761 December 18, 2022 at 7:54 am
Last Post: LinuxGal
  If there is a God(s) it/they clearly don't want us to believe in them, no? Duty 12 1500 April 5, 2020 at 8:36 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Why did my mom tell me that feelings are enough to have religion? Der/die AtheistIn 11 1415 April 2, 2019 at 7:10 pm
Last Post: Yonadav
  Survivalist conspiracy crap..... Brian37 27 3073 January 18, 2019 at 8:24 pm
Last Post: Dr H
  I Can Just Hear All Churches Shitting Bricks On This One Minimalist 40 7445 December 7, 2017 at 5:00 am
Last Post: Little Rik
  Why do far right Christian-Conservatives want to put Jesus in schools NuclearEnergy 41 8475 February 8, 2017 at 11:42 am
Last Post: Asmodee
Thumbs Down Why I Don't Want To Be An Atheist ThePrick 189 18455 November 4, 2016 at 1:58 pm
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  What I love, What I hate, What I want, What I believe. WinterHold 9 1686 July 18, 2016 at 5:52 am
Last Post: Aoi Magi
  Why do religious people desperately want to class Atheism as a religion? TheMonster 75 19854 November 25, 2015 at 2:44 pm
Last Post: Cato
  Why would any Woman want to be a part of Christianity? Spooky 33 8666 July 23, 2015 at 1:41 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd