Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 15, 2024, 3:33 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why would any woman want to be Christian?
RE: Why would any woman want to be Christian?
(March 9, 2013 at 2:56 am)jstrodel Wrote: An honest statement. I am not trying to argue that women lie about rape often, or argue some sort of crude misogynistic position. Of course, women need to protected by the law. I believe that the vast majority of women who report rapes are honest about it.

Despite this, rape, like other matters, deserve fair criminal procedure. Liberals tend to be strong on advocating for peoples civil liberties (with some exceptions). A good liberal would realize that these civil liberties belong to all people, not only members of groups that are popular to defend. An exceptionally good liberal would realize that even people who are guilty of culturally defined offenses as being more heinous and evil than other offenses are still deserving of civil liberties.

This is the way that the Bible teaches about rape. It does not matter how often women fake a rape testimony, what matters is that people receive a fair trial. This is what Deut 28 is about, it is not about an arbitrarily harsh penalty that is associated with some sex crimes and an arbitrarily low penalty attached to others.

I am not against all aspects of liberalism, but I wish that liberals would be consistent with their application of the value of civil liberties. People accused of rape have civil liberties also.

We're in agreement on the civil liberties issue. The reason we tend to push harder toward women's rights when it comes to rape is because of a one two punch of dishonest shaming and ignorance in the culture about it.

Not only do you have guys like Todd Akin who, without a single iota of knowledge about biology, declare in a public arena that women have magic vaginas that can shut down rape sperm in order to advance a political agenda, but there's more. Women who are the victims of rape have their entire sex lives paraded in front of the court, have the lines of their consent so blurred that it boggles the mind. In what other kind of criminal case would a judge be able to tell the victim that if she wasn't out at night at a bar, she wouldn't have been the victim at all, and have that be adequate reasoning to let her attacker off?

We focus in on these issues because they matter. Because rape is rape no matter what qualifiers you put in front of it. Because as it stands the system can be such a meat grinder that many rapes go unreported, and that's unacceptable. It's not just because we're liberals, or we have an agenda; we've seen an injustice, many of us personally, and we wish to correct it.

So when I hear you talking about X kind of rape, as opposed to Y kind of rape, it sort of makes my blood boil. Rape is rape. That's where the issue should stop.
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why would any woman want to be Christian? - by John V - March 8, 2013 at 12:03 pm
RE: Why would any woman want to be Christian? - by Esquilax - March 9, 2013 at 3:56 am
RE: Why would any woman want to be Christian? - by John V - March 12, 2013 at 7:58 am
RE: Why would any woman want to be Christian? - by Fruity - March 11, 2013 at 1:18 am
RE: Why would any woman want to be Christian? - by EGross - March 12, 2013 at 2:30 am
RE: Why would any woman want to be Christian? - by EGross - March 12, 2013 at 8:45 am
RE: Why would any woman want to be Christian? - by John V - March 12, 2013 at 9:21 am
RE: Why would any woman want to be Christian? - by EGross - March 12, 2013 at 9:48 am
RE: Why would any woman want to be Christian? - by John V - March 12, 2013 at 10:14 am
RE: Why would any woman want to be Christian? - by EGross - March 12, 2013 at 10:26 am
RE: Why would any woman want to be Christian? - by John V - March 12, 2013 at 11:17 am
RE: Why would any woman want to be Christian? - by EGross - March 12, 2013 at 12:31 pm
RE: Why would any woman want to be Christian? - by John V - March 12, 2013 at 12:41 pm
RE: Why would any woman want to be Christian? - by EGross - March 12, 2013 at 12:52 pm
RE: Why would any woman want to be Christian? - by John V - March 13, 2013 at 8:29 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Did Jesus want to create a poli-theism religion? Eclectic 83 6977 December 18, 2022 at 7:54 am
Last Post: LinuxGal
  What if God is a woman Woah0 31 2794 November 26, 2022 at 1:28 am
Last Post: UniversesBoss
  Enough of this crap, I want to hear directly from god Foxaèr 82 6283 December 22, 2020 at 1:08 pm
Last Post: Prycejosh1987
  If there is a God(s) it/they clearly don't want us to believe in them, no? Duty 12 1532 April 5, 2020 at 8:36 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Love of God vs love of a woman Mystic 51 6011 September 26, 2018 at 9:49 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  Is this woman nuts? brewer 37 4957 February 15, 2018 at 8:15 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Why can't Christians accept the fact that Hitler was a Christian NuclearEnergy 118 17254 April 18, 2017 at 4:49 pm
Last Post: YahwehIsTheWay
  Why would a perfect being make an imperfect world? Socrates 138 32020 February 25, 2017 at 12:34 am
Last Post: Godscreated
  Why do far right Christian-Conservatives want to put Jesus in schools NuclearEnergy 41 8572 February 8, 2017 at 11:42 am
Last Post: Asmodee
Thumbs Down Why I Don't Want To Be An Atheist ThePrick 189 18728 November 4, 2016 at 1:58 pm
Last Post: Crossless2.0