Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 28, 2024, 5:50 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why do Atheists spend so much time debatng the existence of God?
RE: Why do Atheists spend so much time debatng the existence of God?
(October 2, 2013 at 12:55 pm)Fidel_Castronaut Wrote: Irrelevant.

I didn't mention anything about a god, I spoke specifically about whatever god's worshippers.

Take yourself, for example. You've already accused us of being 'sinners' based on nothing more than an arbitrary label of someone who lacks a belief in deities. "Let he who is without sin..." And all that.

Well, as a Christian, I can compare humans to an objective moral standard, and every human has sinned. I am not saying Christians are better or worse than non Christians. Not at all, rather, we have all sinned when comparing humans to an objective standard.

Quote:Bracketing out for a second the idea of a sin (which I find silly and nonsensical), what you've done is actually reinforce the notion that believers tend to automatically chastise atheists/ theists of other religions by the supposed vice of not adhering to said believer's actual beliefs.

No, the OP is pretty clear.

So really, you just answered your own question. 

Quote:You're describing what a non-descript being has supposedly 'done', not what it 'is'. I don't recall all the roman gods having created the universe, neither have all the Hindu gods been given that attribute. You certainly haven't displayed any moral goodness (???????) so far on this thread. Remember when you accused people who don't believe in the same things as you as being sinners (based on your own beliefs)?

That is why all the polytheistic religions (Thor, Zeus etc etc ) are a non competing hypothesis. I would also add all the "Omni's"

Quote:To prove a point, I created the universe. Disprove it.

Well, when the universe began to exist, space, time and matter began to exist. That means, prior to the universe, space, time and matter didn't exist. You compose of matter, and bounded by space and time, therefore, you couldn't have been the cause.

(October 2, 2013 at 1:03 pm)Tonus Wrote: Why do theists spend so much time debating why atheists debate the existence of god?

Quote:I think the more intriguing consideration is that neither an abundance nor a lack of religious belief seems to have curbed the bloodthirsty attitudes and actions of men, organizations, societies, and nations in the past. If there really was a god, wouldn't there be a much clearer dividing line between the way men acted when they believed in him, and how the acted when they didn't? It's almost as if religious belief didn't matter, one way or another. Hey, religion! Nice job bringing all of humanity together in brotherhood and love for the past few thousand years!

Well, we all have free will. Some people use religion for good, and unfortunately a lot use it for evil. That is why I shy away from the actions of people to determine if something is right or wrong. Rather, look at the doctrine.

(October 2, 2013 at 1:06 pm)Brian37 Wrote: If religion could have brought peace to the world it would have done so by now.

Unfortunately man has used religion for satisfy their own evil purposes and agendas. Again, I suggest you look at the doctrine rather than the actions of men.

(October 2, 2013 at 2:27 pm)Rationalman Wrote: You are a fucking idiot. Its in your bible, all this evil, immoral stuff is in your bible. And you are fine with it. This is exactly what christianity is

If God doesn't exist, what is evil? The way you define it or the way another person defines it. If you are an Atheist, at least give views that are consistent with your belief.

(October 2, 2013 at 2:36 pm)Brian37 Wrote: You insensitive fuck, you'd be as cruel as to point out things like incest, infanticide and genocide? Where, where is it, show me........Oh wait(Um, did I think this or type it?)

Nothing to see here, keep moving.

Funny how children's bibles never depict Lot fucking his daughters.

Are you for homosexuality? If so, why are you against incest? After all , people cannot choose their sexual orientation, so why discriminate against people who they are sexually attracted to? Arent homosexuals the same? That is, they do not choose their sexual preference? The other 2, well, shows you have not studied or understood Christian doctrine.

(October 2, 2013 at 2:47 pm)JesusHChrist Wrote: Why do atheists spend so much time debating the existence of some god?

Why do the police spend so much time talking about crime?

Why does an oncologist spend so much time studying cancer?

What do all of these have in common? Yup, all are a type of disease.

Crime exists, cancer exists, God exists?

(October 2, 2013 at 2:51 pm)Brian37 Wrote: Not so much a "disease" as a side affect of evolution. Evolution's goal is only about getting to the point of reproduction. It is not based on knowledge, just fucking.

Evolution has a goal? Strategic planning as well?

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why do Atheists spend so much time debatng the existence of God? - by Tortino - October 15, 2013 at 5:41 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atheists how much do you hate God? Authari 139 7631 June 12, 2024 at 10:50 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Dr. Bill Craig's Debates: Why do Atheists lose/run away from debating him? Nishant Xavier 123 8774 August 6, 2023 at 4:22 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  360 Million Christians Suffering Persecution: why arent Atheists helping? Nishant Xavier 48 2340 July 16, 2023 at 10:05 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Do atheists believe in the existence of friendship? KerimF 191 11491 June 9, 2023 at 3:32 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  How much pain can atheists withstand ? The End of Atheism 290 20232 May 13, 2023 at 4:22 am
Last Post: h4ym4n
  What is the worst religion in existence? Hi600 89 6908 May 6, 2023 at 12:55 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Atheists, if God doesnt exist, then explain why Keanu Reeves looks like Jesus Christ Frakki 9 1148 April 1, 2023 at 4:07 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  Atheism and the existence of peanut butter R00tKiT 721 54727 November 15, 2022 at 9:47 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  A "meta-argument" against all future arguments for God's existence ? R00tKiT 225 17900 April 17, 2022 at 2:11 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Atheists: I have tips of advice why you are a hated non religious dogmatic group inUS Rinni92 13 2980 August 5, 2020 at 3:43 pm
Last Post: Sal