Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 16, 2024, 5:28 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why did God let people think demons cause epilepsy?
RE: Why did God let people think demons cause epilepsy?
alpha male, as I've already explained, I'm not saying and have never said that the Bible claims disease in general is caused by demon possession. Just that it gives examples of certain diseases, or rather, certain symptoms of numerous diseases, being caused by it, and most importantly, that it doesn't bother with respect to some of those diseases to point out that there can also be other causes of them, and that other causes are by far more common. 

Can you, for example, give me a single example of a passage that gives an example of somebody suffering from clear and common symptoms of schizophrenia, multiple personality disorder, schizoaffective disorder or bipolar disorder, that does not attribute those symptoms to either demonic possession, or (in the case of many of God's prophets and favoured individuals) to God or angels actually speaking to them? There are cases where all those symptoms are attributed to spiritual forces, and I can't think of a single verse that could reasonably be expected to prevent people from concluding as they have at various times throughout history that those symptoms are always or usually caused by external spiritual forces. Would it be so hard to mention that "hey, most people who say they're hearing voices or have demons inside them, don't need to repent or be exorcised, they have a medical problem." Why would God NOT do that? He knew people would assume what they've often assumed after reading the Bible, and that research into the real causes and treatments would be delayed as a result, right?

As for why I don't accept your argument that the Bible makes it sufficiently clear that epilepsy is not always caused by possession, I've already explained that. If you don't disagree with my reasoning, feel free to explain why, but without knowing specifically why you disagree, I could only repeat myself.
"Faith is a state of openness or trust. To have faith is like when you trust yourself to the water. You don't grab hold of the water when you swim, because if you do you will become stiff and tight in the water, and sink. You have to relax, and the attitude of faith is the very opposite of clinging, and holding on. In other words, a person who is fanatic in matters of religion, and clings to certain ideas about the nature of God and the universe becomes a person who has no faith at all. Instead they are holding tight. But the attitude of faith is to let go, and become open to truth, whatever it might turn out to be."

Alan Watts

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why did God let people think demons cause epilepsy? - by Razzle - May 2, 2015 at 10:15 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The People of Light vs The People of Darkness Leonardo17 2 595 October 27, 2023 at 7:55 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Did God play peek-a-boo? LinuxGal 36 3419 March 16, 2023 at 10:09 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  [Serious] For former Christians only, why did you leave your faith? Jehanne 159 14600 January 16, 2023 at 7:36 am
Last Post: h4ym4n
  Why did Jesus suffer for sinners and not victims zwanzig 177 20439 June 9, 2021 at 11:14 am
Last Post: John 6IX Breezy
  Who the Hell does God think he is?? Drich 13 1769 March 6, 2020 at 12:15 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Video #2 Why bad things happen to Good people. Drich 13 1730 January 6, 2020 at 11:05 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Caesar's Messiah by Joseph Atwill - what do people think Send4Seneca 28 2702 August 24, 2019 at 5:12 pm
Last Post: ronedee
  Why did the Jews lie about Jesus? Fake Messiah 65 6478 March 28, 2019 at 5:32 pm
Last Post: Aliza
  Did Jesus call the Old Testament God the Devil, a Murderer and the Father of Lies? dude1 51 8984 November 6, 2018 at 12:46 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me? vorlon13 92 9432 July 23, 2018 at 8:20 am
Last Post: SteveII