Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 11, 2024, 7:08 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Characteristics of Conspiracy Theories
Characteristics of Conspiracy Theories
We've been getting into a lot of conspiracy theories lately because of our resident conspiracy theorist, Pippy. I thought it would be interesting to discuss what makes a theory and conspiracy, and what makes a person a conspiracy theorists.

We throw these words around because there are certain typical characteristics that are a significant part of why we often laugh at conspiracies and conspiracy theorists.

This website lists 10 characteristics of conspiracy theorists: http://www.urban75.org/info/conspiraloons.html
I would say out of all the characteristics I think the most telling is #1. They say either you're in on it or you've bought it completely. Once you get into that mindset that your conspiracy can survive because you can dismiss arguments against your theory so easily with either one of those excuses, and that's it. I can't respect you. Argue against the facts not the people.

http://www.skeptics.org.uk/article.php?d...eories.php

This article compares the difference between real conspiracies and paranoid conspiracy theories. A true conspiracy theory is a a proposition about what may have happened based on insufficient evidence. They are never claimed to be truth, only a possible explanation based on incomplete evidence.

On the other hand, Paranoid Conspiracy Theories, which is what we're usually dealing with when we talk about 9/11 and Reptillian Overlords. These theories are not promoted as a plausible explanation but rather the secret truth. They have a certain knowledge we all lack. Typical PCTs have characteristics of being assumed correct, you cannot challenge them, and any evidence will do.

In my opinion, I think PCTs result from people who want to believe there is a hidden cause or hidden agenda. Much like religious people have a hard time accepting or believing in a world that is not masterminded by an all-powerful being and take comfort in believing that they have special knowledge about that all-powerful god, conspiracy theorists cannot accept that coincidence happens or that governments make mistakes. There has to be a secret cause, a hidden society pulling the strings behind the scenes. Paranoid Conspiracy Theorists take comfort in their special knowledge, and I believe it's very similar to how people can take comfort in believing in God.

I think it's hard for many people to believe that the world is not controlled by some powerful entity, whether they envision it to be a god, the government, a secret society, aliens, etc... On the other hand, I think atheists, or more accurately skeptics, tend to be most comfortable with accepting coincidence, chance, and circumstance. That, however, is not to say all atheists are not conspiracy theorists.
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report

Messages In This Thread
Characteristics of Conspiracy Theories - by Eilonnwy - February 1, 2010 at 1:20 pm
RE: Characteristics of Conspiracy Theories - by fr0d0 - February 1, 2010 at 5:44 pm
RE: Characteristics of Conspiracy Theories - by Eilonnwy - February 1, 2010 at 6:14 pm
RE: Characteristics of Conspiracy Theories - by fr0d0 - February 1, 2010 at 8:04 pm
RE: Characteristics of Conspiracy Theories - by LEDO - February 1, 2010 at 8:29 pm
RE: Characteristics of Conspiracy Theories - by Violet - July 7, 2011 at 9:11 pm
RE: Characteristics of Conspiracy Theories - by Violet - July 8, 2011 at 1:08 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Yet another conspiracy?? Jehanne 8 662 October 14, 2022 at 10:31 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Let's start some conspiracy theories. Gawdzilla Sama 76 10908 July 13, 2018 at 12:11 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Sour Candy Christmas Conspiracy Edwardo Piet 7 1755 December 10, 2015 at 10:32 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Invent your own conspiracy theory! Brick-top 21 7100 February 1, 2015 at 5:54 pm
Last Post: Losty
  First time I ran into this mass conspiracy junk. Brian37 13 2059 November 23, 2014 at 3:10 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Conspiracy theory: Empire of the City? Napoléon 6 2378 July 23, 2013 at 3:14 pm
Last Post: bladevalant546
  You Know You Are A Conspiracy Theorist If… JohnDG 44 13759 October 3, 2012 at 4:29 pm
Last Post: JohnDG
  Gonna commit suicide. Your theories of where I go. Opsnyder 73 25545 June 30, 2012 at 11:53 pm
Last Post: Reforged
  The Guilty Aliens Conspiracy stevenlchilds 13 3752 March 3, 2010 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Autumnlicious
  Conspiracy Theories Rhizomorph13 102 22685 February 18, 2010 at 8:16 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused