Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 11:14 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheists: have you ever had a religious experience and what did you make of it?
RE: Atheists: have you ever had a religious experience and what did you make of it?
Way back, I decided I wanted to be the next William Burroughs. I even had an "Interzone" t-shirt. So I went and very deliberately got addicted to morphine. It turns out that I can write really beautiful stuff in the 'zone, but the price to life just wasn't worth it. I switch to methadone, but that was still slavery. I read about ibogaine and decided to try a related compound. I wanted until I was in withdrawal and dosed. First, the pain went away. Next, it seemed like everything was lit by an inner light. Then I started to realize thing about myself and my surrounding, making connections I'd never seen - delusions of references, partially. Much of it was honestly insightful. Next, a painting I had on my wall, a Mayan style jaguar, became HUGE in my mind. I started to think along with him. He told me that sometimes rationalization is just a lie we tell ourselves to make the world easier to deal with. Humans aren't capable of understanding everything in nature or life - such things are all around us. According to Dreaming Jaguar, it was my nature to rationalize away things, to hide behind them and that if I wished, tomorrow, I could explain everything happening to me now and forget about it, or I could accept a mystery in the universe, an unknown, and cherish it. Then I blacked out, but when I woke up, I was totally free from the addiction, with no withdrawal, and stayed free. He was right, I did rationalize it, but I also cherish the mystery. Cognitive dissonance is a fine wine for a complex mind. Woo or not, getting off junk that easy isn't anything to sniff at.
My book, a setting for fantasy role playing games based on Bantu mythology: Ubantu

Messages In This Thread
RE: Atheists: have you ever had a religious experience and what did you make of it? - by tantric - January 21, 2015 at 10:58 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Church of the atheists and prayer and supplication Eclectic 23 1933 September 19, 2022 at 2:34 pm
Last Post: Ranjr
  If you had to pick between people who pimp prostitutes vs religious people Woah0 22 1951 August 28, 2022 at 5:51 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
Question Atheists and Agnostics that have child Eclectic 11 1193 August 28, 2022 at 3:36 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  We atheists now have our own social network rado84 16 1746 August 12, 2021 at 7:51 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Frustrating Atheist Experience zwanzig 5 1278 July 18, 2021 at 10:34 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  Atheists: I have tips of advice why you are a hated non religious dogmatic group inUS Rinni92 13 2871 August 5, 2020 at 3:43 pm
Last Post: Sal
  Atheists: Why did female with fat butts and short legs exist? Lambe7 14 1997 July 30, 2020 at 7:17 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Does Atheists have acceptability ? hindu 40 4616 July 18, 2020 at 6:04 am
Last Post: Porcupine
  Which religion would be easiest for you if you had to be in one? Fake Messiah 31 3201 July 17, 2019 at 2:26 am
Last Post: Losty
  When and where did atheism first start ? hindu 99 9252 July 16, 2019 at 8:45 pm
Last Post: comet