Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 4:33 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My philosophy about Religion
RE: My philosophy about Religion
(March 28, 2020 at 9:14 pm)Belacqua Wrote:
(March 28, 2020 at 7:45 pm)SuicideCommando01 Wrote: Religion was created as a tool for social control

Can you demonstrate that this is true? How are you defining "religion"? 

Maybe religion began as emotional ceremonies to feel connected with nature (as in Shinto). Maybe it began because someone dreamed of his dead mother and thought she was speaking to him. Maybe it began in a lot of different ways. 

Quote:How is it that Christianity, is the most followed of all three Abrahamic religions? Judaism came first, so surely the first rendition must be the true one?

Why do you think that the first version must be the true one? 

In other fields, the first version is often supplanted by later, better versions. This is how science works, for example. I'm not saying that Christianity is true or that religion is science; I'm only wondering how you can demonstrate that the first rendition is bound to be true.

Quote:Why is God not being clear, instead just making the reader think to themselves

Normally "think for yourself" is considered a good thing. What makes you think that a God wouldn't want people to think for themselves? 

In science textbooks and journalism, clarity is a good thing. Is this true in religion also? Why? 

Quote:Religion was created because ancient man saw females giving birth so they thought "Well, we must have came from them, but where is our originator?"

Are you sure about this? 

The First Cause argument as formulated by Aristotle is an attempt to overcome Zeno's Paradoxes about why motion is impossible. Do you know of someone who came up with the idea by looking at babies? 

Or perhaps what you're saying here is a kind of parable or metaphor -- in which case, why not just type it clearly instead of giving an example? 

Quote: Ancient humans of course didn't have big IQ's back then so they couldn't rationally think why we are here.

First, IQ is very questionable as a measure of intelligence. Second, there have no doubt been very intelligent people all along, though early on they didn't have the benefit of the work done by so many previous smart people. If early people weren't intelligent, we would still be grunting.

Quote:Primitive man just felt what actions they were doing were......unpleasant, and began to feel empathy.

Maybe so. But it looks as though empathy is about the easiest thing in the world to overcome. We seem to have no problem with the millions of people suffering far away from us. It looks to me as though morality is a set of principles we use when we don't feel empathy. So how would you demonstrate that morality comes from empathy? 

Quote: But the problem with religion and morality in general, is that it forces upon you to think what is "right" or "wrong" instead of thinking for yourself.

Didn't you just say that religion is bad because God doesn't tell us exactly what to think? 

And aren't you aware of the Dark Night of the Soul, and the cloud of unknowing, and the enormous religious literature about how doubt is a part of faith, and thinking people must work out how to deal with it? Have you read Kierkegaard?

Quote:Why not just battle each other (A massive free-for-all but religions) to the death for supremacy?

Because a good religion might forbid proving one's point with violence.

Quote:its been scientifically proven that spiritual NDE's are a result of the brain. 

The fact that NDEs are caused by the brain doesn't prove there is no life after death. 

Quote:Today, Civilization is the most advanced as it is, but yet, religion still exists. Why? we are so scientifically advanced. We don't need to rely on earlier control methods, i'ts done its part, we need it no more.

Does science do away with the need for religion? Does it determine morality, or tell us what a good life is? 

Does religion do anything, good or bad, that science can't? 

Quote:Religion is about fear, was created and spread through fear, and is based on fear.

Only fear? 

Have you read Plato? For him, God is reached through love. Lots of Christians say "God is love." Buddhists say they want to defeat fear. Are they all lying? 

How can you prove the truth of what you say here?

1. There is overwhelming evidence that religion is man-made; I don't wanna go look around for evidence right now because it would be a little mentally exhausting for me to look for hours on end(I have high functioning Autism), but If I were to point you in the right direction I recommended looking at YouTube channels like Theramintrees and Underlings, and other channels like these if you can find some. Religion is defined as "the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods." Now yes I perhaps should have thinked more about my thoughts a little more and maybe word it a little better. If religion was created to feel connected to nature, then why force it upon other members of the tribe?  Obviously they probably won't listen to you if you say to them "Don't do this because you will feel bad!" So telling them of a higher power not physically there who will retaliate against them for their choices they make after death will keep them in line. 

2. Because all three of the Abrahamic religions almost always like to pretend they are the right religions, despite the fact they worship the same god, but different versions of him. What I'm saying is, if Judaism came first, and they claim to have the true and only version of God, then why not stick with them?  if anything these religions are like a competition, a competition of who has the right and just version. 

3. Because God (and Jesus) says one thing, then says something else. "You only need faith to come to Heaven" then "You need faith and good works to come to Heaven" and then in another text "You will lose your salvation if you sin" and one last example "All sins are forgivable" then "Blasphemy can never be forgiven". Its just contradiction after contradiction and it's like the Bible can't make up its mind, which is probably why Christianity (and Judaism and Islam) have little "sub-religions" aka sects/denominations (Catholicism, Orthodox, Lutheran, Mormonism etc.) God want's his followers to agree with his viewpoints, and if a follower say converts to another religion like Buddhism or say Paganism or disagree with him entirely and dis-believes in him and creates his own morals,views etc, God will think what he/she is doing is "sinful"or "blasphemous". Clearly this god does not wish for humanity to think for themselves unless they wan't a one-way ticket to Hell! 

4. Thats just an example of the possibilities religion was created

5. Even if ancient cavemen were intelligent, they wen't intelligent enough to actually use their brains and scare their fellow man into submission with stories of super beings, now you could say religion could be considered free thinking, but religion isn't a rational and logical answer to their existence since they really didn't have any evidence their gods/spirits existed. I mean you wanna know how Zeus came to be? Because early Greeks were scared by the lightning and thought there must be a force of some sort behind it, so they thought up of some old guy in the sky who throws lightning strikes down to Earth. Same can be said for other early religions that involved lightning/thunder gods. But back then we didn't know better, we weren't really advanced in terms of scientific advancements and knowledge.

6. Empathy and sympathy=philosophical thinking=morality. It's that simple.   

7. The thing is, if you begin to doubt your religion and start to stray away from it, according to whatever scriptures it uses, it's god/gods/spirits etc will be angry if you think differently then the established guidelines and codes of conduct. Pslam 141 "The fool says in his heart, "There is no God." They are corrupt, their deeds are vile; there is no one who does good." 

8. Almost all religions claim to be the true one, call the others false lies, heretics, or sometimes just not address other religions at all, acting like they are the only one. If all religions like to bicker at each other, calling each other's gods fake, then why even live together peacefully if everyone can't stop trying to enforce their beliefs, whether peacefully or aggressively. It happened almost all the time in history, the Crusades, Persia being forced from Zoroastrianism to Islam, Native American's forcefully converted to Christianity, the Scramble For Africa, the "Mission to Civilize", the Roman Empire going from ancient gods to a Christian empire, the Hasmonean dynasty converting some of the Middle East to Judaism, I could pull out many examples, but I'm going to move on here. 

9. The creation of religions that provide almost no evidence doesn't prove that there is an afterlife either. 

10. Science makes rational and logical reasons as to why a certain piece of evidence is the best guess, humans as I said earlier weren't advanced scientifically as we are today, they couldn't wait and just maybe look into other answers for why something happens. Laws do not need religion for their justification of enforcement, knowing that you wouldn't wan't to murder someone because you know how it would feel for them is good enough! 

11. God is also bipolar, he feels fine one moment (love) then he gets pissed for no reason (threats of hell, eternal damnation). Plus Christians say we must be FEARFUL of God, as can destroy "both body and soul" etc. How is that love? First off if this god loved his followers, he could have just sent Jesus first and just have all his believers under one single religion, not send different messiahs who say different things from the others which then creates confusion and leads to the pack being split up into 3. I mean for fucks sake he could have said "Hey all three of you are correct" instead of having different information being contorted about him. How is sending your "children" to hell then the lake of fire for eternity (or destroy their soul, as contradicted). How is the use of fire justified? Why must it be agony? God is like a mafia boss, stay in line, or he'll make sure to send a couple of the guys.... You might say "To set an example" When still, he could just simply just let everyone come to Heaven if they're his children, or just make a separate type of peaceful afterlife for the "sinners"
Fear comes from violence, violence leads to religion, which leads to both violence and fear. Religion was made to spread fear and keep order, when order could just simply be obtained through peaceful means, empathy. There is no need to tell tales of beings who will either reward or punish them for whatever route they take, just tell the "wrong-doer" to ask him to think about what he's doing and think hard.

Messages In This Thread
My philosophy about Religion - by SuicideCommando01 - March 28, 2020 at 7:45 pm
RE: My philosophy about Religion - by Belacqua - March 28, 2020 at 9:14 pm
RE: My philosophy about Religion - by Abaddon_ire - March 29, 2020 at 3:09 pm
RE: My philosophy about Religion - by SuicideCommando01 - March 29, 2020 at 3:17 pm
RE: My philosophy about Religion - by SuicideCommando01 - March 29, 2020 at 2:38 pm
RE: My philosophy about Religion - by Belacqua - March 29, 2020 at 6:49 pm
RE: My philosophy about Religion - by SuicideCommando01 - March 30, 2020 at 7:08 pm
RE: My philosophy about Religion - by Belacqua - March 31, 2020 at 2:39 am
RE: My philosophy about Religion - by SuicideCommando01 - March 31, 2020 at 1:06 pm
RE: My philosophy about Religion - by Abaddon_ire - March 31, 2020 at 2:50 pm
RE: My philosophy about Religion - by Mister Agenda - March 31, 2020 at 11:38 am
RE: My philosophy about Religion - by no one - March 29, 2020 at 3:21 pm
RE: My philosophy about Religion - by BrianSoddingBoru4 - March 29, 2020 at 6:33 pm
RE: My philosophy about Religion - by Mr Greene - March 29, 2020 at 5:43 pm
RE: My philosophy about Religion - by brewer - March 29, 2020 at 6:32 pm
RE: My philosophy about Religion - by Mr Greene - March 31, 2020 at 2:36 pm
RE: My philosophy about Religion - by MooN - April 4, 2020 at 8:27 pm
RE: My philosophy about Religion - by SuicideCommando01 - April 5, 2020 at 9:52 pm
RE: My philosophy about Religion - by Agnostico - April 4, 2020 at 9:11 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How worthless is Philosophy? vulcanlogician 125 5592 February 27, 2024 at 7:57 pm
Last Post: Belacqua
  Philosophy Recommendations Harry Haller 21 1438 January 5, 2024 at 10:58 am
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  The Philosophy Of Stupidity. disobey 51 3608 July 27, 2023 at 3:02 am
Last Post: Carl Hickey
  Hippie philosophy Fake Messiah 19 1617 January 21, 2023 at 1:56 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  [Serious] Generally speaking, is philosophy a worthwhile subject of study? Disagreeable 238 13041 May 21, 2022 at 10:38 am
Last Post: highdimensionman
  High level philosophy robvalue 46 4947 November 1, 2018 at 10:44 pm
Last Post: DLJ
  Why I'm here: a Muslim. My Philosophy in life. What is yours;Muslim? WinterHold 43 8285 May 27, 2018 at 12:20 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The Philosophy of Mind: Zombies, "radical emergence" and evidence of non-experiential Edwardo Piet 82 12051 April 29, 2018 at 1:57 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Revolution in Philosophy? Jehanne 11 2269 April 4, 2018 at 9:01 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  What's the point of philosophy any more? I_am_not_mafia 167 26612 March 29, 2018 at 10:22 am
Last Post: stretch3172