Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 5:43 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Revolution in Philosophy?
Revolution in Philosophy?
WLC has made this claim now for the past 5 or so years:

Quote:Dr. Craig: By and large. Well, there were two groups of people. I very much wanted to do some evangelistic speaking in university contexts because I was told that in Brazil philosophy departments are dominated by French thought and Marxism, and they're very hostile to Christianity even though this is a Catholic country nominally. The philosophy departments are Marxist and French Continental philosophy. And Christian philosophy is just unheard of; [2] they have been untouched by the revolution in Christian philosophy that's gone on in the Anglophone realm over the last fifty years. So I was very anxious to have some input into university campus speaking. And I did two events of that nature that were the bookends of the tour, so to speak. We began with that in Sao Paulo and then we finished, as well, at another university in Sao Paulo with that.

https://www.reasonablefaith.org/media/re...in-brazil/

Is there any empirical evidence for Craig's claim?
RE: Revolution in Philosophy?
That christian philosophy is becoming less and less represented in academia, even in areas where it previously dominated (by subject or geography)?

That's all he's talking about with the "hostile to christianity" song and dance. People are calling massive bullshit, even in areas that used to lean christer.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Yeah that article was bullshit. The best part was them whining about the Marxists Big Grin
I refused to disable my adblocker to read it, lol. The man makes his nut by selling christianity to christians. The cultural milieu of his target market is marxists this and french that or the other thing..so his website provides that product.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(April 3, 2018 at 1:52 pm)Khemikal Wrote: I refused to disable my adblocker to read it, lol.  The man makes his nut by selling christianity to christians.  The cultural milieu of his target market is marxists this and french that or the other thing..so his website provides that product.

Well here are some gems that you missed:

Quote:Dr. Craig: Yes it was. This is what they told us as well, and it's one of the challenges that Vida Nova faces. The Brazilian evangelical church is surging and growing but it is very emotional. It tends to be personality driven. You have these megachurch pastors who build this organization around themselves. And as you said, Kevin, it is disturbingly often syncretistic. They told us that very often evangelical Christianity is blended in with African spiritism. And they said many of these so-called evangelical churches really are not Christian at all. [1] They deny the deity of Christ; they deny the Trinity, of course; they're in to health and wealth preaching. So some of these groups can be extremely bizarre doctrinally and do strange things. For example, in Sao Paulo one of these megachurches is building the temple of Herod in Sao Paulo. They're rebuilding the second temple that was destroyed in Jerusalem in Sao Paulo. We drove by it and it's in the most squalid, ghetto area of Sao Paulo. Every building is just covered with graffiti, it's filthy, it's poor. And there in the midst of this slum is rising this enormous structure with these huge columns where they're building the temple.

Kevin Harris: Wow, in hopes, I guess, that Christ will return.

Dr. Craig: Well, I wondered that. I asked them, “Why are they doing this?” Was it to usher in the Messianic age? And they said they weren't sure if that was the motive. They said that they think that they'll actually hold church services in this. So they'll actually use the temple as a place to hold their meetings. But that kind of gives you a flavor of some of the edginess of the Brazilian Protestant church, which is growing at a great rate, but also experiencing tremendous attrition and backsliding as people fall out of this as well once the claims or promises of health and wealth don't pan out.

Dr. Craig: Well, of course the overwhelming presupposition would be atheism. It would be that there is no God, there is no supernatural, so a naturalistic view. And it would also tend to be materialistic, as well; that the material universe or physical universe is all there is. And to a certain extent – now this would differ whether it was French or Marxist – whether it would be postmodern or not, whether it would reject traditional canons of logic and rationality, or whether it would hold to a kind of scientism. In either case it would be hostile to Christianity’s claim to have theological truth. In either case the notion that theology is a source of knowledge would be rejected.
Yeah, I thought it was interesting that the evangelical church in Brazil is going off into "heresy", per Craig's assessment.
WLC is such a useless ponce. Shelly Kagan absolutely destroyed WLC in their debate. It was great to see him turn into a confused mess.

For those who have no time to see the full debate. Here's one of the best parts:

Ohh marxism , I hear this often in my country, more precise " neo-marxism".. You would think that people who escaped comunism just 30 years ago would know that banning abortion isn't a democratic move.
That article wasn;t intended for anyone who escaped marxism thirty years ago.  It's american christo-political fetishism at it's finest.
The article was an interview between Craig and one of his puppet radio show hosts, kind of like Trump and Sean Hannity.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How worthless is Philosophy? vulcanlogician 125 5243 February 27, 2024 at 7:57 pm
Last Post: Belacqua
  Philosophy Recommendations Harry Haller 21 1411 January 5, 2024 at 10:58 am
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  The Philosophy Of Stupidity. disobey 51 3431 July 27, 2023 at 3:02 am
Last Post: Carl Hickey
  Hippie philosophy Fake Messiah 19 1550 January 21, 2023 at 1:56 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  [Serious] Generally speaking, is philosophy a worthwhile subject of study? Disagreeable 238 12410 May 21, 2022 at 10:38 am
Last Post: highdimensionman
  My philosophy about Religion SuicideCommando01 18 2571 April 5, 2020 at 9:52 pm
Last Post: SuicideCommando01
  High level philosophy robvalue 46 4892 November 1, 2018 at 10:44 pm
Last Post: DLJ
  Why I'm here: a Muslim. My Philosophy in life. What is yours;Muslim? WinterHold 43 8223 May 27, 2018 at 12:20 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The Philosophy of Mind: Zombies, "radical emergence" and evidence of non-experiential Edwardo Piet 82 11996 April 29, 2018 at 1:57 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  What's the point of philosophy any more? I_am_not_mafia 167 26430 March 29, 2018 at 10:22 am
Last Post: stretch3172