Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 7, 2024, 12:45 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
The Reasons why "Just Following Jesus" Doesn't work
RE: The Reasons why "Just Following Jesus" Doesn't work
(June 6, 2015 at 2:54 pm)Chad32 Wrote: There are people who can look at what Yahweh has supposedly done, and say they must be good because he did it. What reason is there to obey him, other than the fact that he's more powerful than us? Surely the fact that he's most powerful isn't by itsself a good reason to obey, especially given that he doesn't seem to have our best interests at heart.

My idea of justice comes from my life experiences, the people around me, and so forth. One of the simplest forms of justice is asking yourself if you would mind if something happened to you. If you offend me, is it ok if I set you on fire? Probably not. I set my son on fire, then go to court and tell the judge that I gave the person a choice. Serve me, or I will kill them. He disobeyed me, so I killed him. I brought him into this world, and I took him out. What court would hear that, and let me go free?

Apparently a theocratic court, given the honor killings that go on in some places. Those are often the places where equal rights is not a thing, for some reason.
God is the originator of justice, good and love. These systems are all present in every human culture  and there is no time in history when these systems came into being. You should serve and honor God because, among many things, it is what you were made to do.

You attempt to judge the actions of God on your finite human understanding. Do you understand all things? Do you know everything? You have already stated that your judgment is imperfect.

God will judge all of us with His infinite knowledge. God opposes the proud because they show contempt for His good and pure judgment. All who reject God here on earth will go to hell because they took the life He gave them for His glory and used it on their own selfishness. They allowed themselves to be corrupted by sin and when a way was given to them, through the blood of Christ, to repent they suppressed the truth. They used His gifts for debased things and their own sinful imaginations. They harm themselves and others with their sin. They choose a life without Him so for their reward they will receive eternity without Him.

(June 7, 2015 at 4:50 am)robvalue Wrote: I think that's spot on Tongue

Yeah. Whatever way he speaks to me would be good enough. Other people speaking, and claiming to carry messages from him, is not good enough. Crummy old books full of garbage are not good enough. If he gave me this brain, he should expect me to use it.

He knows where to find me, if he can get down from his lofty perch and come play in the mud.

Next time you talk to him, tell him to come see me properly, send me a message I can't misinterpret. He should be capable of that, no? Otherwise my ability to deny things is greater than God. Wow, I'm pretty powerful in that case.

So far all I have is hot air from people all claiming to hold his message, who can't even agree on what the message is. So no thanks.

(June 7, 2015 at 8:43 am)robvalue Wrote: I got a question though.

If you were born in a Muslim country, then much more likely than not you'd be a Muslim instead of a Christian, telling me a completely different set of "truths".

Now how can that be? How the can the truth depend on where you are born? Why does god tell people different things in different countries? This sounds much more like there are several gods to me, with limited ranges of influence. If it's all the same God and just misunderstandings, why is God letting people kill each other over it instead of sorting it out? He sounds kind of a dick.

Also, I'm thinking of a four figure number. Please ask God to tell you what it is. If he does, I'll be impressed.

He did come down to us and walked in the mud with us. He suffered with us and for us. He experience everything we experienced and died for us. He made a way but you don't want that way so you choose to say that He isn't speaking to you. You have already stated that you could be wrong . Yet you sit in judgment of God and think that you faulty thinking will save you.

Truth is the truth no matter where you live. There are those who live in a Muslim country with a Muslim family and have become Christians. There are people in my country, that pretends to be a Christian country, and think that since their mommy and daddy are Christian that will save them. The way to God is narrow and it is by the grace of God that any are saved. We are all given truth about God and we will all be held accountable for the truth we have been given.

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Reasons why "Just Following Jesus" Doesn't work - by Rekeisha - June 8, 2015 at 6:22 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A 21st Century Ontological Argument: does it work. JJoseph 23 1305 January 9, 2024 at 8:10 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Atheists, if God doesnt exist, then explain why Keanu Reeves looks like Jesus Christ Frakki 9 1049 April 1, 2023 at 4:07 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  Why God doesn't stop satan? purplepurpose 225 15000 June 28, 2021 at 1:52 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
Photo Popular atheist says universe is not a work of art like a painting Walter99 32 3460 March 22, 2021 at 1:24 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  Why is Jesus Circumcised and not the rest of the christians ? Megabullshit 23 5388 February 9, 2020 at 3:20 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  How can you be sure that God doesn't exist? randomguy123 50 5816 August 14, 2019 at 10:46 pm
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Do you know that homeopathy doesn't work, or do you just lack belief that it does? I_am_not_mafia 24 5289 August 25, 2018 at 4:34 am
Last Post: EgoDeath
  The Never-Addressed reasons that lead me to Atheism Chimera7 26 3786 August 20, 2018 at 10:10 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Not religious doesn't necessarily mean atheist John V 99 17623 November 8, 2017 at 9:28 pm
Last Post: Martian Mermaid
  Being An Atheist Doesn't Make You A Good Person mlmooney89 38 7071 September 7, 2017 at 10:29 am
Last Post: drfuzzy