Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 30, 2024, 6:24 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Most personally convincing reasons you don't believe.
RE: Most personally convincing reasons you don't believe.
(May 16, 2016 at 3:31 pm)Drich Wrote:
(May 16, 2016 at 9:44 am)pocaracas Wrote: How do you search for something that doesn't exist?
seriously?!?!?
Do I need to make a video to explain to you that in order to declare something does not exist in a particular frame work one must have complete mastery/understanding of everything in that frame work? For instance I can only say that squid meat is nonexistent in a Big Mac If Indeed know that a big mac only contains to all Beef Patties Special sauce Lettuce Cheese and a sesame seed bun, and I know what is in the 'special sauce.' There can't be any unknowns if I state something does not exist.

Where you fools believe you have complete mastery and knowledge of the whole universe, in reality there is only educated guessing based on observations made from a singular point in time, and from a fixed point in space. It is From this limited universal view, you stake your claim that God can not exist.

Otherwise your foolish question should have been phrased "How do you search for the unknown/unknowable given out current 'scientific methods?' Rather you infer complete knowledge of time and Space and claim God can not exist.
Ah... i can't believe I missed this! Really... I haven't been talking about this god stuff in so long that I miss doing it! Wink

You're right.... sorry for the imprecise language.
Try again:

How do you search for something that doesn't likely exist?
Quote:How do you search for an idea?
It depends on the Idea. It all starts with research. First isolate and identify those who claim to have contact or knowledge with what you are looking for and then explore methods of contact.
Should I follow every type of idea? Every claim of contact with any entity?
Should I explore every method of contact proposed by everyone who ever makes a claim of contact with any kind of entity?!
Sounds like I could be wasting my time on an infinity of bogus claims.

Quote:How do you search for dragons? and faeries? and wizards?
There you start with a definition.
Dragons can be identified as reptiles, plants, or even women. Fairies could include gay men, birds, and even a lost race of humanity. Wizards could be an Adj the describes something wonderful, to a frequently asked questions tab on a software package, to the Greek use of the word that describes a pharmacologist.

Again, inorder to take an objective look at what may seem as the fantastic requires grounding both parties into a set of definations that outline what is the pair is looking for.

Now obviously when you say God we both can agree your idea of it does not exist as you've no doubt tried to sumon your idea of a deity and it has left you flat. Naturally you being the center of the universe as YOU know it assume when I say God we mean the same deity you have already dispelled.

My point here in this thread, is we are not talking about the same thing. Meaning all you've done you whole life to disprove God does not apply as your "tinkerbell" is not nor does it have anything to do with the ancient race of humanity I've discovered.
Wait, what?!
Ancient race of humanity?!
YOU've discovered?!

Care to share?

Quote:How do you search for a god?
You explore the claims the God makes in his holy books then you talk to followers. See if you qualify for a claim then follow through with it.
I thought holy books were written by people, not gods.
The claims therein are claims by people.
Could these people have found a way to exploit some psychological pathway to belief, without any requirement for a substantiation of that which is believed in?

Quote:Assume such a thing exists and then voilá, you're convinced it does.
Assume that what believers do and voila' you can shut your mind off to any unpleasant "thinking." perfect reasoning, huh?
Shut my mind off!?? Ah.... you're cute.
What happens if I'm right?

Quote:I'm sure psychology is beyond your pay grade, but I'd invest in learning some about it.
As I am sure everything written here goes in one ear and out the other as it is not in youtube form, but still yet I give you the benfit of the doubt from time to time even though I know it is a waist of time.
Come now, Drich.... it's not a "waist" (or should it be waste?) of time.
It's all in good fun.

I am aware of how belief in the supernatural (and other beliefs) is just a psychological state.
I am aware of a few mechanisms to get there.
As such, I try to avoid falling prey to them. Thus far, I've been successful...

You, on the other hand, from my point of view, have fallen prey to one such mechanism. It's a common occurrence, nothing to be ashamed of.
As a believer, you automatically accept that the thing you believe in is true (duh!). And fail to understand (maybe not the best word... realize?) how the minds of those who do not believe work. You seem to think we're simpletons who just "refuse to open our minds and let the truth shine in".... but nothing could be farther from what's going on.

Confronted with the multitude of beliefs out there, how is anyone supposed to decide which one is representing the real divine, if any?
How about we just wait it out? Just let the real MC please stand up... until he does... best not assume he wants me to think he's in the crowd. If there is one MC and he's hiding, why should I go out and assume he is there?

Messages In This Thread
RE: Most personally convincing reasons you don't believe. - by pocaracas - May 16, 2016 at 5:15 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What do you believe in that hasnt been proven to exist? goombah111 197 24103 March 5, 2021 at 6:47 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  If there is a God(s) it/they clearly don't want us to believe in them, no? Duty 12 1420 April 5, 2020 at 8:36 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Why you all need others, to believe? LastPoet 24 3863 December 26, 2019 at 10:09 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Ways to Get Into Heaven! Or Whatever You Believe in! Jade-Green Stone 14 2559 January 24, 2019 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: deanabiepepler
  List of reasons to believe God exists? henryp 428 85253 January 21, 2018 at 2:56 am
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  Look i don't really care if you believe or don't believe Ronia 20 7912 August 25, 2017 at 4:28 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  People assuming you believe in a God Der/die AtheistIn 35 10226 July 19, 2017 at 10:24 am
Last Post: Astonished
  Don't you just love the hypocrisy of religion. ignoramus 86 22271 July 16, 2017 at 7:04 am
Last Post: Der/die AtheistIn
  Theists: What is the most compelling argument you have heard for Atheism? PETE_ROSE 455 101623 April 5, 2017 at 12:34 pm
Last Post: RoadRunner79
  Atheists, what are the most convincing theist arguments you heard of? SuperSentient 169 22479 April 1, 2017 at 9:43 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic