Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 3, 2024, 1:45 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jesus as Lord - why is this appealing to so many?
RE: Jesus as Lord - why is this appealing to so many?
(February 12, 2018 at 12:02 am)RoadRunner79 Wrote:
(February 11, 2018 at 11:43 pm)LadyForCamus Wrote: I just find it peculiar how you always dodge pointed questions about your personal beliefs.

I don’t think I do normally if it’s a specific question... and not switching to a long involved discussion.  The previous time you brought this up, I did point you to another thread where the topic was being discussed.  I also think that I should be given some allowance and be able to just say no... to switching topics.  Perhaps you notice it more, because you are always wanting me to talk about something else.  Which by the way... you dodged the question as to why this is Smile

It may also be noted,,, I think that I and KS have discussed this if nothing else briefly before.

You are correct, RoadRunner. Our discussion can be found via the following link: our exchange occurred during the last two pages of the "Is Christianity Special Pleading" thread:

This was your response to my initial inquiry:

(September 19, 2017 at 8:21 pm)RoadRunner79 Wrote:
(September 19, 2017 at 1:15 pm)Kernel Sohcahtoa Wrote: RoadRunner, out of curiosity, I'm somewhat confused by apologetics.  Specifically, god belief is unfalsifiable, yet from my observations, there are apologists who will use tools of falsifiability, such as reason and logic, to establish that their unfalsifiable claims are true (which can often give the appearance of mental gymnastics, rationalizations, circular reasoning, etc).  Could you please clarify how this is not a contradiction? Also, when taking an apologetics approach toward one's belief system, to what degree are the truths of that belief system faith-based? Does it make sense to engage in rational discourse over truths that are faith-based?

I would agree, that it would be incorrect, to engage in rational discourse, over that which is subjective.  However, I would disagree, that these things are unfalsifiable.  Hence I don't understand nor share your concern and confusion. Perhaps you can clarify (or re-evaluate that they are unfalsifiable).  I also think that you may have confusion on what my faith consists of.  My faith is in God, not about God.  I don't think that it is about taking a blind leap, and I don't advocate or think that people should have that kind of faith.  

Quote:With that said, is it completely sensible for an individual to accept the claims of his or her belief system based on faith/belief? Also, rather than asserting that one's belief system is the truth in our reality, is it more sensible and open-minded to keep one's belief system in the domain of faith/belief? Thanks

If it is a subjective matter, then I would agree.   However I don't think that your statements here make much sense when it is objective whether talking about religion or just one's worldview in general.  
Thanks for the very polite questions... I hope this helps.

And this was a later response you made to me as our dialog progressed:

(September 28, 2017 at 6:59 pm)RoadRunner79 Wrote:
(September 19, 2017 at 10:15 pm)Kernel Sohcahtoa Wrote: Thanks for your response.  Out of curiosity, how would you go about falsifying supernatural claims?

Regarding [1], my confusion lies in trying to establish the truth of supernatural claims via naturalistic tools such as human reason/logic.  Furthermore, if supernatural claims can be understood or falsified via naturalistic means, then are these claims really based in the supernatural? Is it more accurate to say that "supernatural" describes humanity's lack of knowledge about how reality works?  

In regards to [2], could you please clarify the following statement: "my faith is in God, not about God."

Regarding [3], if one's worldview/religious faith is falsifiable, then does that open the door to subjectivity?

Thanks for your polite answer, sir.

Sorry for the delay in my response (been busy, tired, and sick as well).  
In regards to your points [1] I understand that there is the view of the word "supernatural" which basically equates to "unknown" (and it seems to me, this is how you are using it). That once the supernatural is known, it then becomes natural.  This is not what I would normally mean by the term.  I would view it more in this instance as transcending the natural forces of the visible/known universe and that which makes it up (and I understand it can be tricky to define precisely).  However it seems to me, that if we are going to know about the supernatural in any reasonable way, that there would need to be a falsifiable event or reasoning, in which to do so.

[2]  I mean, that I find reason to believe in God, and from that; I have faith in Him, and what He has proclaimed.

[3]  I'm a little unsure exactly what you mean here.  If you mean, that we can have disagreements or differing opinions; then I would agree.  If you mean subjective by nature, in that it is dependent on and internal to the subject then I very much disagree (falsifiable would entail that it is objective).

Again sorry for the delay.  I wanted to respond previously and wasn't able (and almost didn't now because of the pause in discussion).  So I understand if you lost interest.  But I appreciate your questions, and felt they deserved an answer.  I don't know that we approach the issue from the same perspective though (perhaps because of a difference in understanding regarding the word "supernatural".  And I'm not too concerned with the use of that term apart from a certain context.  If someone comes to me, with a claim (supernatural or not), I'm going to ask why I should hold that view.  And I think that something falsifiable should follow.

IMO, you made an honest and civil attempt to answer my questions.  However, as our dialog progressed, I wish that you would've been more specific about what would falsify supernatural claims (or Christianity) in your opinion.  With that said, I apologize if I've come off as redundant.  Thanks for your responses in that thread and in this one.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Jesus as Lord - why is this appealing to so many? - by Kernel Sohcahtoa - February 12, 2018 at 1:19 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Rainbow Why I believe in Jesus Christ Ai Somoto 20 2800 June 30, 2021 at 4:25 pm
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  Why did Jesus suffer for sinners and not victims zwanzig 177 19384 June 9, 2021 at 11:14 am
Last Post: John 6IX Breezy
  Why does god put the needs of the few above the need of the many? Greatest I am 69 5314 February 19, 2021 at 10:30 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Why is Jesus in third place when he deserves first? Greatest I am 25 4681 September 22, 2020 at 10:14 pm
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Why did the Jews lie about Jesus? Fake Messiah 65 6035 March 28, 2019 at 5:32 pm
Last Post: Aliza
  Genesis interpretations - how many are there? Fake Messiah 129 17354 January 22, 2019 at 7:33 pm
Last Post: donlor
  Why don't we have people named Jesus? Alexmahone 28 5502 April 5, 2018 at 8:17 pm
Last Post: Jenny A
  Why Didn't Jesus Write? Athena777 85 12822 January 29, 2017 at 2:09 am
Last Post: The Wise Joker
  Brazilian woman has spent years praying to Lord of the Rings doll Cyberman 41 5609 January 8, 2017 at 2:27 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Why are the "laws" of physics so different as conceived by many xtian fundamentalist? Whateverist 22 4944 November 13, 2016 at 1:35 am
Last Post: Funky_Gibbon