Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 12, 2024, 7:19 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Christianity is heading for a full allegorization
RE: Christianity is heading for a full allegorization
(January 30, 2022 at 6:46 pm)Ferrocyanide Wrote:
(January 29, 2022 at 10:08 pm)polymath257 Wrote: A LOT of care is required here.  Several statements are either wrong or seriously misleading.

First, all particles are associated with a field and vice versa.

So, there are electron fields. And the electromagnetic field is associated with photons.

This means that each of the forces is described by an exchange of some particle.

When two charged particles interact electromagnetically, they do so by the exchange of a photons. So, you were wrong when you said that photons do not interacts with electrons via the electromagnetic force. In fact, the electromgnetic force is *precisely* charged particles interacting with photons.

You were also factually wrong when you said that neutrons do not interact electromagnetically. While they are not charged, they *do* have a magnetic field.

The weak force is the exchange of W and Z particles. So, leptons and quarks interact via W and Z particles and that interaction is the weak force. Neutrinos are one type of lepton. Here, the W particles are charged and the Z particles are electrically neutral.

The particles associated with the strong force are called gluons. There are 8 types of gluons.

Now, there *is* a difference between the 'matter' particles and the 'force' particles. The 'matter' particles are all fermions (electrons, quarks, neutrinos), while the 'force particles (photons, W, Z, and gluons) are all bosons.

BTW, the particle for gravity is called the graviton and is spin 2. We can *also* consider gravity as the curvature of spacetime: the two descriptions are mathematically equivalent.

For each basic interaction, there is a diagram detailing that interaction. So, the diagram for an electron and a photon just has the photon, an incoming electron, and an outgoing electron. Because of symmetries, this same diagram describes the interaction of positrons and photons and describes both a single incoming photon or a single outgoing photon. For any given observed interaction, we have to write down all of the diagrams with those incoming particles and those outgoing particles and 'add them up' to get the probability of that interaction and its properties.

Interactions with W and Z particles can change leptons to quarks and vice versa. Interactions with gluons can change the type of quarks.

Quote:When two charged particles interact electromagnetically, they do so by the exchange of a photons. So, you were wrong when you said that photons do not interacts with electrons via the electromagnetic force. In fact, the electromagnetic force is *precisely* charged particles interacting with photons.

Thanks. About this line of mine:
“A neutrino, a neutron, a photon does not interact with an electron via the electric force/magnetic force.”

I’m not an expert on this but I think it depends on the conditions.

Case 1:
For example, if you send a beam of photons right between 2 charged plates and the distance between the photon beam and the electrons in the plates is 1 cm, there is no interaction at all.
The photons go in a straight line as if the electric field is not even there.
The same goes for a magnetic field.
If this was not the case, the beam would bend. It would be easy to observe a lens effect around a piece of magnet.

This is not correct. A magnetic field that varies can affect the polarization of light going through it. it doesn't change the direction, but it does change the characteristics of the light.

Quote:Case 2:
If you have a beam of electrons and a beam of photons and you cross the beams, they will not interact, no matter what the wavelength of the electrons and photons is.
I might be wrong about that. Perhaps if their wavelengths are the same, there would be an interaction.

This is not correct. The electrons *will* interact with the photons. One way is via Compton scattering. Another is simply from the changing electric field of the light beam.

Quote:Case 3:
Electrons around atoms. If the compound is in a gaseous state, and you send a photon, if the wavelength matches the wavelength of the orbit (?), the photon might get absorbed by the electron.

close, but not quite right. The photons have to be tuned to the *difference* in energy between two available orbitals. This does NOT require the sample to be a gas. it is also possible for the photon to interact with the electron and ionize the atom.

Quote:Case 4:
If you have 2 beams of photons. If you cross the beams, no matter what the wavelength of the photons is, there is no interaction between the photons.

This is correct to a very high degree of accuracy, but not absolutely so. A photon can produce a positron/electron pair, which interacts with another photon before the pair collapses back into a photon. The effect is small, but it exists.

Quote:
Quote:You were also factually wrong when you said that neutrons do not interact electromagnetically. While they are not charged, they *do* have a magnetic field.

Thanks. That is interesting.
I looked at the wikipedia page. I think there is something I do not understand. There is a difference between having a magnetic field and a magnetic moment?

The magnetic moment gives the strength of the dipole part of the magnetic field.

Quote:The wikipedia says that it is hard to guide a neutron beam. A heterogenous field needs to be used which has an impact on a neutron because a neutron has magnetic moment.
Apparently, a parallel magnetic field has no effect?

Yes. More precisely, the magnetic field cannot be uniform. It needs to vary with position to produce a force on the neutron.

Quote:I have heard of W, Z, gluons, fermions, bosons, but mostly, I do not know those details.

Apparently, a team might have discovered a dineutron and another team might have discovered a tetraneutron.
It looks like there is a lot of exotic stuff to be discovered.

Most definitely. It gets even stranger when you allow quarks other than just up and down to come into play. (protons are two ups and a down, neutrons are two downs and an up).

Messages In This Thread
RE: Christianity is heading for a full allegorization - by polymath257 - January 30, 2022 at 8:14 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why are Christians so full of hate? I_am_not_mafia 183 17674 October 18, 2018 at 7:50 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Tell All Book Says Pat Robertson Full of Shit Minimalist 12 3570 September 29, 2017 at 3:51 pm
Last Post: Atheist73
  No Surprise, Here. Xtians Are Full of Shit. Minimalist 5 1211 August 4, 2017 at 12:31 am
Last Post: ComradeMeow
  Orthodox Christianity is Best Christianity! Annoyingbutnicetheist 30 6975 January 26, 2016 at 10:44 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  Heaven is full of tapeworms Brakeman 15 4564 August 13, 2015 at 10:23 am
Last Post: orangebox21
  This holy water thing is full of shit! Esquilax 35 12156 March 20, 2015 at 6:55 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  Christianity vs Gnostic Christianity themonkeyman 12 8533 December 26, 2013 at 11:00 am
Last Post: pineapplebunnybounce
  Russian antisuicide forum which is full of shit feeling 6 2398 December 18, 2013 at 4:17 am
Last Post: feeling
  Moderate Christianity - Even More Illogical Than Fundamentalist Christianity? Xavier 22 18437 November 23, 2013 at 11:21 am
Last Post: Jacob(smooth)
  My debate in Christian Forums in full swing greneknight 99 39137 September 17, 2012 at 8:29 pm
Last Post: System of Solace