Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 10, 2024, 9:57 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Serious] For former Christians only, why did you leave your faith?
RE: For former Christians only, why did you leave your faith?
(January 11, 2023 at 11:50 pm)Fake Messiah Wrote:
(January 11, 2023 at 1:31 pm)tjdisc Wrote: Truth.  Jesus' teachings are truth.  They hit me hard - very impactful.  I am a sort of seeker of truth - so in a way eventually I found Him (or perhaps more accurately He found me).

"I don't see how Jesus' teachings are the truth. For example, in Matthew 6:19-21 Jesus tells people not to store up for material things on earth, which seems ridiculous because followers of Jesus want nice houses and cars as much as anyone else. If they have the money, they accumulate TVs, jewelry, decorative items, gadgets, and a host of other "indispensable" consumer products. Just look at a wish list on a bridal registry for a Christian couple."

I can't speak for others nor can I judge them, but in general just because some claim to be Christian and act differently doesn't disprove the truth in the gospel of Christ.

"Are you any different than that? Do you live in voluntary poverty or do you accumulate things?"

I do not live in poverty.  In essence I fall short here.  I am a work in progress.  But I need to live as if I own nothing.  As Paul stated, I need to consider all things as loss except the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus.  Fortunately, it is not of my experience that He has a list of things that I must do before He will have relationship with me.  He knows me, knows my weaknesses even better than I do.  It is a process of sanctification as I grow in Him.  But I can't dismiss that I fall short right now.

"Jesus also taught lots of other ridiculous things, like that men should cut their hands off if they masturbate - so have you amputated your hands? Have you plucked your eyes out after looking at women? If not, then how do you find Jesus' teachings to be truthful?"

I'm not sure about the cutting off hands part - that seems to be an interpretation not necessarily what He said.  But He did say that it would be better to pluck out your eyes than look at a woman lustfully.  There was an "IF" statement there and what is meant is how important it is.  Don't look at a woman lustfully.  He said you must be perfect.  You don't hear that in many churches.  I am not perfect nor can I be on my own, but He is able - He can make me (or anyone) perfect.  He can make me stand if I could just get out of the way.

Messages In This Thread
RE: For former Christians only, why did you leave your faith? - by tjdisc - January 12, 2023 at 9:10 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A Believer's Thoughts on Faith rlp21858 168 11994 July 9, 2022 at 3:43 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  3 reasons for Christians to start questionng their faith smax 149 58684 December 4, 2021 at 10:26 am
Last Post: Ketzer
  Why did Jesus suffer for sinners and not victims zwanzig 177 19474 June 9, 2021 at 11:14 am
Last Post: John 6IX Breezy
  Faith is Feelings zwanzig 44 4610 February 28, 2021 at 1:47 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  What will win the god wars? Faith, Fantasy, Facts, or God? Greatest I am 98 6478 December 28, 2020 at 12:01 pm
Last Post: Greatest I am
Question [Serious] Christians what would change your mind? Xaventis 154 9530 August 20, 2020 at 7:11 am
  why faith fails Drich 43 4466 January 23, 2020 at 12:45 am
Last Post: Haipule
  Why did the Jews lie about Jesus? Fake Messiah 65 6121 March 28, 2019 at 5:32 pm
Last Post: Aliza
  Christians vs Christians (yec) Fake Messiah 52 7935 January 31, 2019 at 2:08 pm
  Why are Christians so full of hate? I_am_not_mafia 183 17667 October 18, 2018 at 7:50 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah