Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 6:55 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Book?
A Book?
Is there a specific book that Atheist apply too, as religions have their books?

Is there a combined belief, apart from the non-existence of dieties?
RE: A Book?
(May 4, 2009 at 5:46 am)g-mark Wrote: Is there a specific book that Atheist apply too, as religions have their books?

Not as such, but there are books by atheists about why they don't believe in gods and the arguments for them. Richard Dawkins, Christopher Hitchens, Daniel Dennet, Sam Harris, Victor Stenger, Guy P. Harrison, just to name a few.

Quote:Is there a combined belief, apart from the non-existence of dieties?

Nope.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
In a sense then, you are not united?
Indeed we are not. We can be pretty much anything, from every standpoint with regards to politics, philosophy, human rights, you name it.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
That's one of the things that is so awesome...we are free!! Here is one of the places where it can be expressed Wink

EvF
(May 4, 2009 at 6:27 am)EvidenceVsFaith Wrote: That's one of the things that is so awesome...we are free!!
EvF

Actually, I'm very expensive.
I used to tell a lot of religious jokes. Not any more, I'm a registered sects offender.
---------------
...the least christian thing a person can do is to become a christian. ~Chuck
---------------
NO MA'AM
[Image: attemptingtogiveadamnc.gif]
(May 4, 2009 at 7:09 am)Dotard Wrote:
(May 4, 2009 at 6:27 am)EvidenceVsFaith Wrote: That's one of the things that is so awesome...we are free!!
EvF

Actually, I'm very expensive.

You could and still be free. "There's no such thing as a free lunch" is something that people say. If it not gratis though.

Big Grin

How much do you cost, are you the human version of a Rolls Roy perhaps?
I think, all I pretty much cost is the penalty of people having to either put up with waffling on or they just ignore/block me :p

EvF
(May 4, 2009 at 5:46 am)g-mark Wrote: Is there a specific book that Atheist apply too, as religions have their books?

In my opinion no ... there are some great atheist writers out there but none of them speaks for us all, there's no great leader, no single book.

(May 4, 2009 at 5:46 am)g-mark Wrote: Is there a combined belief, apart from the non-existence of dieties?

If I understand you correctly, no ... outside of the agreement there are no deities (which implicitly means past and present claims) there is nothing atheists specifically have in common. You only have to look at this forum to see that ... some believe there was a Jesus, others don't; you believe in UFO's and cover-ups others don't; some believe Hitler was a Christian, others don't; some believe that atomic weapons are terrorist devices, others don't ... the list goes on.

Kyu
Angry Atheism
Where those who are hacked off with the stupidity of irrational belief can vent their feelings!
Come over to the dark side, we have cookies!

Kyuuketsuki, AngryAtheism Owner & Administrator
(May 4, 2009 at 5:15 pm)Kyuuketsuki Wrote:
(May 4, 2009 at 5:46 am)g-mark Wrote: Is there a combined belief, apart from the non-existence of dieties?

If I understand you correctly, no ... outside of the agreement there are no deities (which implicitly means past and present claims) there is nothing atheists specifically have in common. You only have to look at this forum to see that ... some believe there was a Jesus, others don't; you believe in UFO's and cover-ups others don't; some believe Hitler was a Christian, others don't; some believe that atomic weapons are terrorist devices, others don't ... the list goes on.

Kyu

Well you could say the same about Christians, except that Christians accept a few things. Even then secular definition doesn't even allow those common attributes that Christians themselves claim. And some say there is no unity in Christianity.

Like Adrian has said recently, atheism isn't the group name. Much the same as theism. Maybe one day there will be followers of prominent atheist thinkers known collectively.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I am researching a book. Input? CosmicCelticAtheist 26 1783 November 1, 2023 at 1:24 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Book Recommendations Gnomey 40 2439 July 22, 2020 at 11:24 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  [Serious] Book reports Belacqua 75 6780 December 6, 2019 at 11:51 pm
Last Post: Belacqua
  Sending a book back in time Rahn127 23 2497 November 14, 2019 at 8:51 pm
Last Post: Alex K
  Stupid Book 'Abundant Living' RiddledWithFear 8 1875 December 20, 2016 at 9:02 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  Book suggestion: "God Hates You, Hate Him Back" drfuzzy 8 2833 June 28, 2016 at 1:42 pm
Last Post: emjay
  In need of a book suggestion Sara0229 29 6206 January 4, 2016 at 2:26 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  CJ Werleman Loses the Plot in New Book The Valkyrie 4 1662 September 16, 2015 at 7:29 am
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  Jerry Coyne's new book: Faith Versus Fact Mudhammam 17 5919 August 13, 2015 at 12:22 am
Last Post: smsavage32
  Atheist Bible book 1 genesis part 1 dyresand 41 12256 October 28, 2014 at 6:09 pm
Last Post: dyresand