Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 10:54 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What do you like about Religion?
What do you like about Religion?
We all think religion is silly, but is there anything you like about about Religion?
for me:
Christianity:
1. It has created some of the beautiful architecture in the western world.
2. It has help some of the neediest people in the world.
Islam:
1. It symbol is not a medieval torture device that slowly killed you.
2. Shows the world just how bat-shit crazy religion can get.
Jewism:
1. Harmless
Hinduism, Buddism and Sikhism:
Are not out for world domination.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful" - Edward Gibbon (Offen misattributed to Lucius Annaeus Seneca or Seneca the Younger) (Thanks to apophenia for the correction)
'I am driven by two main philosophies:
Know more about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you' - Neil deGrasse Tyson
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it." - Mark Twain
RE: What do you like about Religion?
(March 3, 2012 at 4:28 pm)Gooders1002 Wrote: We all think religion is silly

No, we think religion is BAD! The scourge of humanity.

Quote:but is there anything you like about about Religion?
for me:
Christianity:

But it destroyed much more beautiful architecture than it created.

Quote:2. It has help some of the neediest people in the world.

Some? Perhaps. But it has certainly killed millions of totally innocent people. And is still killing millions: today with e.g. HIV/AIDS in Africa. And Xtianity stymied humanity's intellectual and scientific progress for a thousand years.

There is nothing good about Xtianity, or any religion, a.k.a. superstition. Problem is that people are superstitious. Full stop. If there wasn't Xtianity, Islam, or any other religion or denomination people would flock towards some other nonsense superstition.
Judaism isn't harmless, have you not seen what the only jewish state does? Theyre fruitbats, just look at the Israel lobby!

I love the architecture and the music that comes with religion, but that is all.
(March 3, 2012 at 4:57 pm)Rokcet Scientist Wrote:
(March 3, 2012 at 4:28 pm)Gooders1002 Wrote: We all think religion is silly

No, we think religion is BAD! The scourge of humanity.

I now that I was being polite, I hate Religion, I was trying to have something positive.
Quote:
Quote:but is there anything you like about about Religion?
for me:
Christianity:

But it destroyed much more beautiful architecture than it created.
Agreed as well.
Quote:
Quote:2. It has help some of the neediest people in the world.

Some? Perhaps. But it has certainly killed millions of totally innocent people. And is still killing millions: today with e.g. HIV/AIDS in Africa. And Xtianity stymied humanity's intellectual and scientific progress for a thousand years.
And agreed again but This whole thread is what positives religion was if if it is making us see how bat-shit crazy people can get. If you want to completely gut religion please do it in another thread.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful" - Edward Gibbon (Offen misattributed to Lucius Annaeus Seneca or Seneca the Younger) (Thanks to apophenia for the correction)
'I am driven by two main philosophies:
Know more about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you' - Neil deGrasse Tyson
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it." - Mark Twain
There's nothing good about religion!
Hitler loved German shepherds, built the Autobahn system, and gave us the Volkswagen Beetle, but that didn't make Nazism one iota less terrible!
They built most of the hospitals.
The Salvation Army provides a lot of disaster relief.
(March 3, 2012 at 5:42 pm)ChadWooters Wrote: They built most of the hospitals.

Right, because if a hospital said "Carl Sagan materialist of atheism Hospital" then the superstitious would go out of their way to avoid going to it or even giving charity to it.

I hear this argument alot: "Christians do great for charity, where are all of the atheist charities"

Me - "Well you and your friends give to an atheist charity if I find one for you?"

Him - "No, the're atheists, they arent getting a dime of my money"

Its the same with most else

Needless to say, If I were an atheist wanting to build a hospital, I would name it after nobody just to stay out of it. Apparently in this market you name the hospital after christians or nobody.
(March 3, 2012 at 5:42 pm)ChadWooters Wrote: They built most of the hospitals.

The salvation army is known for taking homeless people and making them work long hours for less than minimum wage repairing donated shit to sell in their stores for profit.

Needless to say, if a group of atheists got together "The godless army" to do the exact same thing the system would be exposed and the atheists would be tossed into jail for labor violations.

Not to mention we cant get the religious tax free status.
What's Jewism?
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
Maybe its just the side of the bed I got up on, but I'm in no mood to trumpet the superiority of atheism today. I mean, really, what's that? Atheism isn't anything, it's the lack of something. So fine, no gods for me either and institutions generally screw things up worse than individuals - so no religions either, thank you very much. But so what?

What, if anything, are you for? Criticizing anything is easy. So put yourself out there and lets take your measure. Sometimes the forums feel like just one more bubble where all we can hear is our own echo. Sorry, not today.

Dante's Inferno, Mahler's 4th, Beethoven's 9th, Haga Sophia, Da Vinci's "Virgin on the Rocks" (sounds like a martini, is it that time yet?)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How you know religion has done its job in brainwashing you: Foxaèr 19 2694 August 9, 2018 at 12:47 am
Last Post: purplepurpose
  Are introverts less likely to like organised religion? Der/die AtheistIn 8 1331 March 22, 2018 at 11:13 pm
Last Post: GODZILLA
  Religion hurts homosexuality but homosexuality kills religion? RozKek 43 10601 March 30, 2016 at 2:46 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Terrorism has no religion but religion brings terrorism. Islam is NOT peaceful. bussta33 13 4869 January 16, 2016 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Religion's affect outside of religion Heat 67 19602 September 28, 2015 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
  Waving your religion around in public is like dyresand 9 3377 September 11, 2015 at 10:52 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Which religion would you like to be true? Jacob(smooth) 50 9045 March 17, 2015 at 9:40 am
Last Post: Spooky
Rainbow Gay rights within the template of religion proves flaws in "religion" CristW 288 48976 November 21, 2014 at 4:09 pm
Last Post: DramaQueen
Tongue What Religion do you like the most DreadLock 54 17032 February 22, 2012 at 11:31 am
Last Post: LarissaAnn
  Religion is like a penis Rokcet Scientist 12 9395 August 10, 2011 at 4:24 pm
Last Post: Rokcet Scientist