Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 8:26 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Bible contradictions?
Bible contradictions?
Many say here the bible is full of hundreds of contradictions. Well, this statement is false and not even plausable. If it had so many they would have been caught hundreds of years ago by those why study and memorize the bible and try to understand it. The only ones who find contradictions are those who look for it but don't look too deep. I will address a couple common ones.

Creation story- many say there are 2 creation stories that contradict each other in genesis chapters 1 and 2. They specifically look at the order of creation. Chapter one order is: third day plants, fifth day birds, and sixth day man. In chapter 2, the order is man, trees, cattle, and birds. Contradiction? Well it looks like it, but no. Chapter one is a general picture of everything that was made and when it was made. Chapter 2 is detail of the sixth day. It says he made man and if you actually read, you will see verse 8 of chapter 2. It says he planted Eden after man. The earth was filled with trees, but he made some more for his garden for man. Then in verse 19 where he makes animals, he is simply creating animals for his garden. There are already animals around the world, but the garden is new and empty so he filled it with animals. No contradiction.

2. Who died in the plague? Numbers 25:9 says 24000 and 1 Corinthians 10:8 says 23000. Contradiction? No. There's a little detail missing. Numbers says 24000 were killed in the plegue, but 1 Corinthians says 23000 fell "in one day." this leaves 1000 that died during that plague on the day after or the day before. No contradiction.

Just 2 examples of how the bible can be misinterpreted to make it seam it contradicts. But obviously it's a result from looking for them in a bible search and not checking the context to ensure its really a contradiction. Here's a link for hundreds of explanations to "contradictions" of the bible.
http://www.philvaz.com/apologetics/bible.htm#63
Oh! thus be it ever, when freemen shall stand
Between their loved home and the war's desolation!
Blest with victory and peace, may the heav'n rescued land
Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation.
Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
And this be our motto: "In God is our trust."
And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!

-4th verse of the american national anthem
RE: Bible contradictions?
Quote:If it had so many they would have been caught hundreds of years ago by those why study and memorize the bible

And when they were caught jesus freaks like you burned them at the stake for heresy.

Your bible is a fucking joke, chippy. Too bad you can't light the bonfires anymore.

Quote:“To assert that the earth revolves around the sun is as erroneous as to claim that Jesus was not born of a virgin.”
Cardinal Bellarmine 1542-1621
(March 7, 2012 at 2:17 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:If it had so many they would have been caught hundreds of years ago by those why study and memorize the bible

And when they were caught jesus freaks like you burned them at the stake for heresy.

Your bible is a fucking joke, chippy. Too bad you can't light the bonfires anymore.

Quote:“To assert that the earth revolves around the sun is as erroneous as to claim that Jesus was not born of a virgin.”
Cardinal Bellarmine 1542-1621

Oh do you have a contradiction? Or just a lame comment. If you have a contradiction, please bring it forward. Your point is worthless without evidence.

No contradictions eh.

Quote:God nice or nasty.

EXO 15:3 The LORD is a man of war: the LORD is his name.

ROM 15:33 Now the God of peace be with you all. Amen

Who was Josephs father?

MAT 1:16 And Jacob begat Joseph the husband of Mary, of whom was born Jesus, who is called Christ.

LUK 3:23 And Jesus himself began to be about thirty years of age, being (as was supposed) the son of Joseph, which was the son of Heli.

Is Jesus equal to or lesser than?

JOH 10:30 I and my Father are one.

JOH 14:28 Ye have heard how I said unto you, I go away, and come again unto you. If ye loved me, ye would rejoice, because I said, I go unto the Father: for my Father is greater than I.

Jesus' last words
MAT 27:46,50: "And about the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, "Eli, eli, lama sabachthani?" that is to say, "My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?" ...Jesus, when he cried again with a loud voice, yielded up the ghost."

LUK 23:46: "And when Jesus had cried with a loud voice, he said, "Father, unto thy hands I commend my spirit:" and having said thus, he gave up the ghost."

JOH 19:30: "When Jesus therefore had received the vinegar, he said, "It is finished:" and he bowed his head, and gave up the ghost."

There are so many many more here.

http://www.infidels.org/library/modern/j...tions.html

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

[quote='chipan' pid='249929' dateline='1331143967']
Many say here the bible is full of hundreds of contradictions. Well, this statement is false and not even plausable. If it had so many they would have been caught hundreds of years ago by those why study and memorize the bible and try to understand it. The only ones who find contradictions are those who look for it but don't look too deep. I will address a couple common ones.

No - what YOU did is decide which ones YOU will consider - and TWO do not cover it.

However - there are indeed hundreds of contradictions in the bible - and YOU have not addressed them

What you attempted to cover is the FAIRY TALE of creation in the bible - a story that is NOT TRUE - and we can PROVE it not to be true. SO can you.

In creation - it is claimed that god gave all the seed bearing plants to humans for food -and OLEANDER is a seed bearing plant.
Eat a bowl full of oleander seeds and then get back to me - oh - you will DIE from the poison

Now - eat the oleander and PROVE me wrong -

YOu won't even try to!
(March 7, 2012 at 2:24 pm)downbeatplumb Wrote: No contradictions eh.

Quote:God nice or nasty.

EXO 15:3 The LORD is a man of war: the LORD is his name.

ROM 15:33 Now the God of peace be with you all. Amen

Who was Josephs father?

MAT 1:16 And Jacob begat Joseph the husband of Mary, of whom was born Jesus, who is called Christ.

LUK 3:23 And Jesus himself began to be about thirty years of age, being (as was supposed) the son of Joseph, which was the son of Heli.

Is Jesus equal to or lesser than?

JOH 10:30 I and my Father are one.

JOH 14:28 Ye have heard how I said unto you, I go away, and come again unto you. If ye loved me, ye would rejoice, because I said, I go unto the Father: for my Father is greater than I.

Jesus' last words
MAT 27:46,50: "And about the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, "Eli, eli, lama sabachthani?" that is to say, "My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?" ...Jesus, when he cried again with a loud voice, yielded up the ghost."

LUK 23:46: "And when Jesus had cried with a loud voice, he said, "Father, unto thy hands I commend my spirit:" and having said thus, he gave up the ghost."

JOH 19:30: "When Jesus therefore had received the vinegar, he said, "It is finished:" and he bowed his head, and gave up the ghost."

There are so many many more here.

http://www.infidels.org/library/modern/j...tions.html

All those are explained in my link. But of course, you did not click it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-1hdqNDQ...re=related

(March 7, 2012 at 2:25 pm)ThomM Wrote: [quote='chipan' pid='249929' dateline='1331143967']

No - what YOU did is decide which ones YOU will consider - and TWO do not cover it.

However - there are indeed hundreds of contradictions in the bible - and YOU have not addressed them

What you attempted to cover is the FAIRY TALE of creation in the bible - a story that is NOT TRUE - and we can PROVE it not to be true. SO can you.

In creation - it is claimed that god gave all the seed bearing plants to humans for food -and OLEANDER is a seed bearing plant.
Eat a bowl full of oleander seeds and then get back to me - oh - you will DIE from the poison

Now - eat the oleander and PROVE me wrong -

YOu won't even try to!

There are hundreds and it would take hours to address all of them. That's why I posted a link. Why should I address all of them when clearly you find then by getting them off someone else's website?

(March 7, 2012 at 2:27 pm)chipan Wrote: All those are explained in my link. But of course, you did not click it.

No they werent did YOU click it?

One of the biggest inconsistencies I have noticed within scripture is the character and actions of God.

The God of the Old Testament is very warrior/tribal like in his actions. Many of his solutions to his people's problems and many of his punishments involve death, very brutal death at times, of mass numbers of people. I believe in one day he killed 30,000 of his own people and there are numerous accounts where whole cities are wiped out. The God of the Old Testament is represented as patient yet extremely wrathful and prone to lashing out.

However the God of the New Testament is much more tame and to the point of almost never manifesting his power outside of miraculous works through Jesus, the apostles, etc. God's character goes from killing 30,000 people and ordering his followers to slaughter their enemies even down to the infants to love and forgiveness. It goes far enough to essentially choose death over violent rebellion. This is a huge flip in character not only for God but for what he wants his people to do as well.

One of the biggest contradictions however has to deal with the idea of sin and punishment for sin aka Hell. The Bible says that God desires no man to perish but all to come to repentance. However God never had to allow any man to perish in the flames of Hell because the only one who had the power to create Hell was God himself. In fact the only one who decides whether or not you go to Heaven or Hell, in the end, is God/Jesus anyway. If God had to create Hell then he is not all powerful because something greater than him obligated him to do so. To simply say it was God's nature that required him to create Hell is not provable.

You may counter with that God had to create Hell because he is by nature a just God. No God did not have to create Hell because the assumption is that eternal punishment for temporal acts is just. I would say it is quite unjust from the perspective of cruel and unusual punishment. God's eternal punishment does not fit the crime of temporary acts. In addition to this the things that can send one to eternal torment are not really things that cause great harm but things he just does not like. Most people probably wouldn't have a problem with cereal rapists/killers/psychopaths etc going to Hell. After all they would view this as evil but in God's eyes a homosexual is just as bad as the above.

Perhaps you would counter by saying well God's wisdom is above man's wisdom. Rather the wisdom of God is foolishness to man. However that feels like it is often a statement of "I know this doesn't make sense but I am going to give up understanding it and just give deference to God". You can do that but it avoids thinking through the issue and taking certain things to what appears to be their logical conclusion. Hell is not necessary and God did not have to create it. Due to this God CHOSE to create Hell and therefore CHOOSES to send people there. Kind of funny that he didn't want anyone to perish... he could have solved THAT at the beginning of time as we know it.

Now onto the idea of sin itself. What is sin? Sin I believe is defined as "missing the mark" or whatnot at least I keep hearing that from someone. Who set the target/mark up though in the first place? This again falls onto God. So the whole idea of sin in the first place, there needing to be punishment for sin, etc is all the responsibility of God. Saying that God is a just being by nature doesn't change the fact that he MADE UP the rules HE wanted to enforce. Unless you are going to argue there is some moral standard that God is obligated to then he INVENTED what was right and wrong. God could have therefore ultimately chosen to create a universe where Hell/punishment for sin did not exist.

As far as man being out of control with that idea I am going to go ahead and tell you that without God I am not "out of control". I find value in moral standards for a different reason then fear of punishment + the lure of reward. God also is directly responsible for the nature of man. You say it is simple free will that caused us to be so rebellious? God created man with his inherit nature and apparently God knew man was going to fall.

Lets say for the sake of argument though that for whatever reason God had to create Hell/punishment in the way that it is now. If God knew that most of mankind would inevitably be punished and if, for whatever reason, God was not powerful enough to STOP that he should have never made man in the first place. God's desire for companionship/love/worship should not have caused him to create a situation where MOST of his creation gets to suffer forever while he enjoys the company of the few. That would be EXTREMELY selfish and contradict the idea of all loving.

There was an early Christian who recognized the inconsistencies between the Old and New Testament God's named Marcion I believe. He formed a group known as the Marcionites who believes that the two representations of God were actually TWO DIFFERENT Gods with the New Testament God being the stronger God.

In short I believe that the Bible has a major contradiction with the portrayal of God:

1. God is all loving yet seeks what he wants aka his own glory/praise and worship. He also is willing to create/setup a situation where many suffer so he can enjoy the good pleasurable company of a few of his chosen.

2. God is prone to outbursts and mass killings + the orderings of genocides in the Old Testament. Yet this God is also seen as all loving?

3. God wants no man to perish/go to Hell but is ultimately responsible for the system that causes this. God being all knowing/all powerful makes it unnecessary for the sin/Hell system to exist.

4. I didn't mention this earlier but, God in a sense sacrificed himself to satisfy his OWN wrath that he CHOSE to have. Why did he have to sacrifice to himself? That seems quite illogical, he could have made the decision himself. Again saying that it is just that there is sacrifice doesn't really make sense because you would have to prove that this is intrinsically true.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Without citing the bible, what marks the bible as the one book with God's message? Whateverist 143 44047 March 31, 2022 at 7:05 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Christmas Traditions and Biblical Contradictions with Reality Mystical 30 5172 December 8, 2016 at 10:01 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Kent Hovind talks about bible contradictions drfuzzy 29 7084 January 3, 2016 at 6:17 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  I don't care about bible contradictions. CapnAwesome 112 25752 July 1, 2015 at 11:22 am
Last Post: CapnAwesome
  Why do gospel contradictions matter? taylor93112 87 18896 April 28, 2015 at 7:27 pm
Last Post: Desert Diva
  Illinois bible colleges: "We shouldn't have to follow state standards because bible!" Esquilax 34 7435 January 23, 2015 at 12:29 pm
Last Post: Spooky
  The contradictions in the bible and Jesus’s bad decisions! nostradamus1 12 3016 December 5, 2014 at 10:49 am
Last Post: Nope
  Gospel Contradictions: Sermon on the ? findingdoubt 25 10197 September 5, 2013 at 12:30 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Bible contradictions: the interactive edition Esquilax 0 1315 August 20, 2013 at 2:25 am
Last Post: Esquilax
  Handy chart of Gospel contradictions re: resurrection story Ryantology 34 17644 March 21, 2013 at 6:25 pm
Last Post: CleanShavenJesus