Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 8:46 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are Atheists less Homophobic?
Are Atheists less Homophobic?
Well..Are Atheists less homophobic?
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful" - Edward Gibbon (Offen misattributed to Lucius Annaeus Seneca or Seneca the Younger) (Thanks to apophenia for the correction)
'I am driven by two main philosophies:
Know more about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you' - Neil deGrasse Tyson
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it." - Mark Twain
RE: Are Atheists less Homophobic?
Quote:"Concerning the acceptance of homosexuality and support for gay rights, atheists and secular people again stand out (Linneman and Clendenen 2009; Hayes 1995b). When compared with the religious, non-religious people are far more accepting of homosexuality and supportive of gay rights and gay marriage (Sherkat et al. 2007; Burdette et al. 2005; Lewis 2003; Loftus 2001; Roof and McKinney 1987), and are far less likely to be homophobic or harbor negative attitudes towards homosexuals (Altemeyer 2009; Rowatt et al. 2006; Schulte and Battle 2004; Aubyn et al. 1999; VanderStoep and Green 1988; Kunkel and Temple 1992). According to a Pew Forum on Religion and Public Life Survey (2008), 60 percent of religiously unaffiliated Americans support gay marriage, compared to roughly 26 percent of Protestants and 42 percent of Catholics. According to Newport(2008), 76 percent of Americans who never or seldom attend church consider homosexuality morally acceptable, compared with 21 percent of weekly and 43 percent of monthly church attenders." - Sociology Compass, Phil Zuckerman, Pitzer College, Claremont, California

Peer reviewed studies seem to support that conclusion. I would have expected as much to be honest.
Self-authenticating private evidence is useless, because it is indistinguishable from the illusion of it. ― Kel, Kelosophy Blog

If you’re going to watch tele, you should watch Scooby Doo. That show was so cool because every time there’s a church with a ghoul, or a ghost in a school. They looked beneath the mask and what was inside?
The f**king janitor or the dude who runs the waterslide. Throughout history every mystery. Ever solved has turned out to be. Not Magic.
― Tim Minchin, Storm
Well that solves that problem then. lol
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful" - Edward Gibbon (Offen misattributed to Lucius Annaeus Seneca or Seneca the Younger) (Thanks to apophenia for the correction)
'I am driven by two main philosophies:
Know more about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you' - Neil deGrasse Tyson
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it." - Mark Twain
If for no other reason than a lack of religion seems to take away many sexual taboos, yes.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
There are certainly homophobic atheists. However, the bible is the reason for such hatred of homosexuality. Look at society before the bible. Homosexuality wasn't a problem. I'm sure those Armies that had to travel across country on foot or horseback were all about butt sex, when they weren't raping and pillaging. Also, there are a lot of homophobic homosexuals that are religious. Weird.
Its all very well me pulling a paragraph from sociology review to be honest, but in terms of WHY, for the most part, atheists trend towards being scientifically minded, and as such, would be expected to justify their homophobia.

Pretty hard to defend your homophobia without religion. Even a statement like "its not natural" is subject to the obvious criticism, and more to the point, difficult to point towards any sort of moral rational reasoning for it, certainly in terms of causing harm.

A question which I always feel is more pertinent, but more difficult to study, is whether atheists are more MORAL. However, without a clear definition of morals, this is next to impossible to prove one way or another, since most (getting my big tarbrush out here) would accept few absolute moral truths, and focus more on moral relativity.
Self-authenticating private evidence is useless, because it is indistinguishable from the illusion of it. ― Kel, Kelosophy Blog

If you’re going to watch tele, you should watch Scooby Doo. That show was so cool because every time there’s a church with a ghoul, or a ghost in a school. They looked beneath the mask and what was inside?
The f**king janitor or the dude who runs the waterslide. Throughout history every mystery. Ever solved has turned out to be. Not Magic.
― Tim Minchin, Storm
I can't speak for anybody else, but I was pretty homophobic as a Christian, and became tolerant of gays after getting rid of religion. I think I see gays fight for equal rights and acceptance as a parallel of atheists also fighting for acceptance (and in some cases equal rights). Plus anything to piss off the Christians is OK in my book.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
If you asked me to think of the most bigoted, most homophobic people I've ever known, it would be a toss up between three people. Two are atheists, one is a Christian.

Based on this limited sample of Christian and atheist homophobes I've known, I'd say that religion provides justification for bigotry. It's easy to understand why Christians would be more brazen about their bigoted feelings.

Atheist homophobes certainly exist. I've known a few others than the two I mentioned. However, they are more likely to be closet homophobes, especially now that it's become socially unacceptable in some circles to be that way. By "closet homophobe" I mean people who use words like "homo" or "that's so gay" or slip and crack a gay joke and then, apparently realizing they've been impolitic, backpeddle with a disingenuous "um, not that there's anything wrong with that" or "Hey, I'm not bigoted. What do I care what two freaks do as long as they keep it out of my face?" You just know from their tone of voice and other clues that they are no less bigoted than their Christian counterparts but they just can't justify it.

The end of religion won't mean the end of irrationality/bigotry. It will just mean the end of an easy justification for it.
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist
(March 16, 2012 at 11:56 am)Shell B Wrote: Also, there are a lot of homophobic homosexuals that are religious. Weird.

That's why I'll never understand gays who remain Christian, when most Christians insist that they're evil sinners. Nor will I understand the Log Cabin Republicans. A gay person in the Republican party is like a black man joining the Klan.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
(March 16, 2012 at 12:50 pm)Doubting Thomas Wrote:
(March 16, 2012 at 11:56 am)Shell B Wrote: Also, there are a lot of homophobic homosexuals that are religious. Weird.

That's why I'll never understand gays who remain Christian, when most Christians insist that they're evil sinners. Nor will I understand the Log Cabin Republicans. A gay person in the Republican party is like a black man joining the Klan.

It's hard to shake upbringing.

I tell gay jokes, btw. I'm also not afraid of gay people. As if there is anything to fear from those little girly men.

Bazinga.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Less anger towards religion Macoleco 64 6121 December 14, 2022 at 7:18 pm
Last Post: brewer
  I enjoy far right atheists more than lgbt marxist atheists Sopra 4 2204 February 28, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Why are there less female atheists? Lebneni Murtad 45 8379 March 8, 2017 at 1:48 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Atheists ONLY - Are you less happy now that you are an atheist? Brakeman 61 11884 November 30, 2013 at 10:12 pm
Last Post: Lemonvariable72
  Atheism - less war? Dawud 155 21360 April 24, 2013 at 2:43 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Atheists Gone Wild: Reign of Terror Kills Thousands in Less than a Year Blackrook 79 28659 September 29, 2012 at 5:44 pm
Last Post: Minimalist