Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 11:23 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Real God
The Real God
Theists watch all of this and Think about it.

"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful" - Edward Gibbon (Offen misattributed to Lucius Annaeus Seneca or Seneca the Younger) (Thanks to apophenia for the correction)
'I am driven by two main philosophies:
Know more about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you' - Neil deGrasse Tyson
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it." - Mark Twain
RE: The Real God
Nice.
Not just nice- very nice. This makes a lot of sense.
What falls away is always, and is near.

Also, I am not pretending to be female, this profile picture is my wonderful girlfriend. XD
Rejection vs Skeptism. This should make us atheists more compassionate toward the theist's reaction. We should see the ego-self-god-concept as a sensitive issue which we must deal with carefully. Theists were generally born with this "disease". We are the prognosticators and self helpers. I really like this video except that I think it would have been more realistic if the gender roles were reversed.
You, yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe, deserve your love and affection.

There are only two mistakes one can make along the road to truth; not going all the way, and not starting.

Buddha FSM Grin

Are you kidding me? C'mon! look at the snarky, vulgar, crass, and aggressive language used in these threads. And how many theists have told other members here to piss off and go fuck themselves? Not many. All I saw in that video was anger and arrogance wrapped in psycho-babble.

(April 2, 2012 at 11:09 pm)ChadWooters Wrote: Are you kidding me? C'mon! look at the snarky, vulgar, crass, and aggressive language used in these threads. And how many theists have told other members here to piss off and go fuck themselves? Not many. All I saw in that video was anger and arrogance wrapped in psycho-babble.

The video never said that theists would say "go fuck yourself". You filled that bit in on your own.

Everything that the video said, I've seen first hand. Not so much on this forum- on this forum, things are a bit different. Because multi-sided debate is valued here and atheists have considerable power of opinion, a lot of what was discussed in the video is not seen here on a regular basis.

Try going to a Christian forum though- then the video is spot-on.
What falls away is always, and is near.

Also, I am not pretending to be female, this profile picture is my wonderful girlfriend. XD
Without any provocation on my part, I have been told by a couple prominent members to fly a kite in not so pleasant terms. I have never, ever had that happen to me on a religious forum, except by atheists contributors. That's been my experience. Your's has apparently been different. Even still look at the Introduction forums. While I agree some of the fundies who come to proselytize get exactly what they deserve, just as often ridicule and contempt are hurled on sincere religious newcomers.
I sent that video to a friend of mine who has been troubled by theist friends recently. Thanks for sharing.

Quote:just as often ridicule and contempt are hurled on sincere religious newcomers.

Sincerity does not earn anyone a pass from being ridiculed. I have no doubt that at least some of the young earth creationists loons we get here are totally sincere. El fucking stiffo;post drivel and your arguments WILL be ridiculed and treated with the contempt they deserve.Persist and you will probably be personally insulted for being an annoying twat.

I could not give a flying fuck how people behave on other forums.
I certainly agree with the bit about the theist and the theist's god. They are their god. Which is why there is so many differences and conflicts within the same religion. Their god comes from their imagination and is formed by their personality.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why Zeus is more real than the Christian God.... maestroanth 4 1813 May 5, 2016 at 7:08 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Is God really real or are people simply deluded? RobertE 117 18137 March 14, 2015 at 2:14 pm
Last Post: IATIA
  Real God Christian 83 13176 October 28, 2014 at 2:33 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  God is love. God is just. God is merciful. Chad32 62 19414 October 21, 2014 at 9:55 am
Last Post: Cheerful Charlie
  If god were real... Baalzebutt 126 34775 April 3, 2013 at 11:08 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Scientific Evidence That God is Real Gbarian 27 10356 June 25, 2012 at 9:21 pm
Last Post: Epimethean
  If god were real. JohnDG 1 1596 June 21, 2012 at 6:58 pm
Last Post: Welsh cake
  God is real. Dingaling 58 20177 June 8, 2012 at 6:33 am
Last Post: znk666
  if god is real then... Gooders1002 36 20112 May 25, 2012 at 12:15 pm
Last Post: jupitor
  God Is Real KdThaKing 98 29521 October 24, 2011 at 11:37 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger