Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 5:38 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A thought on 'taking offense' and 'sensitivity'
A thought on 'taking offense' and 'sensitivity'
I think that perhaps:

If taking offense is so acceptable. Then taking offense to others taking offense should be too. If it's okay to be sensitive - then it should also be okay for an otherwise INsensitive person to be sensitive to the 'over' sensitivity of a sensitive person.

Thoughts?

EvF
RE: A thought on 'taking offense' and 'sensitivity'
(May 30, 2009 at 10:59 pm)EvidenceVsFaith Wrote: I think that perhaps:

If taking offense is so acceptable. Then taking offense to others taking offense should be too. If it's okay to be sensitive - then it should also be okay for an otherwise INsensitive person to be sensitive to the 'over' sensitivity of a sensitive person.

Thoughts?

EvF

I think you may be assuming too much as a principle.

IF taking offence is an emotional reaction,it is beyond the control of the individual, and not something which requires the approval of others.

The way a person behaves as the result of taking offence may or may not be acceptable. Whereas it may acceptable say " I find that REALLY offensive" It's not acceptable to abuse or injure the offender. [in our society]

I am not especially sensitive,but do not intentionally offend others most of the time. However,nor do I walk on egg shells, or refrain from expressing a sincere thought or opinion for fear of giving offence. In my opinion,"oversensitivity" is often a form of passive aggressive behaviour,the purpose of which is to manipulate others. --THAT'S the principle.

IN PRACTICE,situations vary and tact is sometimes a good idea: I would (and have) watched what I said and did in a Muslim country.Those buggers don't fuck about;you can find yourself locked up or deaded.---In less extreme cases,it's often wise not to offend one's boss at work,and to be exceedingly tactful in courting a new girlfriend.

As far as possible I am the arbitor of my own behaviour,rather than my perception of the expectations of others. I'm usually quite capable of bearing the hurt feelings and outrage of others with great fortitude---and a hasty exit when needed...I will also apologise if I feel I'm in error.
I quite often wonder around Asda with my 'There's probably No God' T-Shirt on. So far no-one has said anything although I've had a few double-takes.

If, though, someone said to me that they found my t-shirt offensive I wonder if I in turn would find that offensive? Or would it be their intolerance for my opinion?
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
I generally don't give a fuck.
I am usually careful not to offend anyone unnecessaryly but I won't bend over backwards not to offend either.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
(May 31, 2009 at 8:20 am)lrh9 Wrote: I generally don't give a fuck.

Ditto
I used to tell a lot of religious jokes. Not any more, I'm a registered sects offender.
---------------
...the least christian thing a person can do is to become a christian. ~Chuck
---------------
NO MA'AM
[Image: attemptingtogiveadamnc.gif]
(May 31, 2009 at 8:20 am)lrh9 Wrote: I generally don't give a fuck.

I do that's why I started a campaign against ID & creationism in the science classroom and why I wear a black inverted crucifix.

Kyu
Angry Atheism
Where those who are hacked off with the stupidity of irrational belief can vent their feelings!
Come over to the dark side, we have cookies!

Kyuuketsuki, AngryAtheism Owner & Administrator
I Personally don't give a fuck at all. I'm not offended by anything.

I'm just saying that as it generally seems to be considered acceptable to 'take offense' then shouldn't taking offense to others 'taking offense' be accepted too? Otherwise it's unfair?

Because isn't it kind of hypocritical for Person A to 'take offense' to Person B but then when Person B is offended by the fact Person A's so easily offended over everything...Person B is treated as if he or she is not allowed to be offended by that - why is the 'offended' allowed to be 'offended' but that itself can seemingly never be considered offensive? Because isn't it kind of intolerant to act as if practically everything (or a very many things) are intolerant? Even in cases when they're not?

I think a lot of intolerance should be tolerated because...a lot of it really isn't 'intolerant' (or that intolerant) and it's just an overreaction from the 'offended' person...or it's no big deal in (at least) the particular case - and freedom of speech is more important!

If objecting to seemingly almost everything under the sun, being 'offended' by so much because it's 'intolerant' can be acceptable then shouldn't it also be acceptable to for that too be considerd offensive? Otherwise it's not really fair is it?

It's like 'It's ok...to be sensitive...and it's good to have a thick skin and be insensitive in some respects too. But to be sensitive to someone's oversensitive 'taking offense' that's not so acceptable. Because they're the offended ones!"

- Like it's okay to be 'sensitive' but not when it's being 'sensitive' to someone else's oversensitivity.

I think it's hypocritical of the 'offended person' if it can't go both ways....either both or neither should be acceptable in my opinion or it's unfair.

I think both should be acceptable for reasons of freedom of speech...for the 'offender' to be suppressed like he can't ever take offense to the 'offended' for 'taking offense' for no good reason - I think is unfair...

But I personally get offended by fuck-all.

Why would I get offended?

My own personal philosophy on the matter is one of two things are the case if someone says something 'offensive' to me: Either A: the 'offensive comment' or 'insult', etc, is nonsense, so in which case why get offended if it's nonsense? Or B: The 'offensive comment' or 'insult', etc, is truthful in which case why would I get offended, if they're telling the truth?.

I can't (at least as of late) think of a reason for me to ever simply be 'offended'...

But that's just me lol Smile

EvF
Thanks to Phil1989's awesome Stephen Fry quote in his sig (that I've added myself on first glance - I had to (Ideally I think everyone should hehehehe, but that's just my own opinion and personal preference lol)) - and thanks to the help of google, I have found this article:

http://www.mediawatchwatch.org.uk/2006/02/03/sfw/.

I use it as a very simple counter argument to this argument (that I feel is a strawman anyway, and disagree with on principle to the core anyways) that I was presented with in secularchat:

http://www.dpjs.co.uk/swasticross.html.

Stephen Fry FTW I say: Thou Shalt Not Contradict Stephen Fry!

EvF
Quote:I Personally don't give a fuck at all. I'm not offended by anything.

Not being offended by ANYTHING is not something boast about.The word for that type of person 'sociopath'.Viz; they lack empathy and conscience. Thinking
No. I have empathy and conscience. I just don't get 'offended'.

EvF

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] A thought I had about some people's view on some things medical and other things ShinyCrystals 15 795 October 22, 2023 at 1:31 pm
Last Post: ShinyCrystals
  [Serious] A thought experiment... Gawdzilla Sama 12 968 October 22, 2019 at 12:23 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Anyone thinking of taking part in Movember? Cod 29 2331 October 29, 2018 at 9:57 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  A Thought On Oral Sex BrianSoddingBoru4 28 1677 September 22, 2018 at 12:26 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  A thought on hummus, actually. Mr.Obvious 24 994 September 19, 2018 at 5:21 pm
Last Post: Aegon
  A thought on thoughts KevinM1 6 1134 September 19, 2018 at 11:04 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  A thought on Homosexuality Amarok 44 2794 September 19, 2018 at 1:47 am
Last Post: robvalue
  A thought on asexuality I_am_not_mafia 9 1079 September 18, 2018 at 6:10 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  A thought on heterosexuality Foxaèr 6 832 September 18, 2018 at 10:41 am
Last Post: I_am_not_mafia
  Taking a break Godscreated 3 281 July 19, 2018 at 6:36 am
Last Post: Joods