Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 1:10 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Morality
Morality
I have posted this definition several times in past posts.

Morality is man's attempt to establish a righteous standard based on the sin he or the society he lives in is willing to except Incorporated into that standard.

Morality is not true Righteousness or God's Righteousness. God's Righteousness is a sinless standard no one can achieve.

Morality says: It is ok to lie to save your friend's life.

Righteousness says: it is always a sin to lie no matter what the reason.

God's righteousness is absolute, and never changes.

Man's Morality is on a sliding scale always identified by the lessor of two evils.

That said know that 'morality' is not the universal standard of good. Morality is a constantly changing to suit the the personal or civil righteousness of a community of people. What once was moral could now be considered a crime, and vise versa.

I say that to help those looking to frame questions based on "morality." Most of the time it is used an absolute standard when in fact it is not.
RE: Morality
(April 14, 2012 at 1:55 am)Drich Wrote: Morality is man's attempt to establish a righteous standard based on the sin he or the society he lives in is willing to except

Pretty much your definition precludes any and all people who do not believe in sin (in other words your god and your bible) from being members of a society so please swallow a large glass of sulfuric acid you bigoted moron.
Drich Wrote:Righteousness says: it is always a sin to lie no matter what the reason.

Wait ... what?

So you're claiming that all lying is a sin??? Your righteous god can commit genocide on a whim, but I'm not allowed to lie to a telephone marketer?!!? *facepalm*

A French man living in Germany in the 1940's lies to a German SS officer and says that he's not hiding any Jews in his basement. Subsequently, he saves an entire family of god's chosen people, but sins, bringing god's disdain on himself for lying to a murdering brute.

Fuck your god
[Image: Evolution.png]

(April 14, 2012 at 1:59 am)Phil Wrote:
(April 14, 2012 at 1:55 am)Drich Wrote: Morality is man's attempt to establish a righteous standard based on the sin he or the society he lives in is willing to except

Pretty much your definition precludes any and all people who do not believe in sin (in other words your god and your bible) so please swallow a large glass of sulfuric acid you bigoted moron.

Read the post again maybe it will dawn on you, that if one is seeking to define morality in his/her life then the acknowledgment of sin and evil (even if it is the secular brand) is a requirement to the task at hand.. M-O-R-A-L-I-T-Y is all about managing one's sin/evil limit.
(April 14, 2012 at 2:05 am)Drich Wrote:
(April 14, 2012 at 1:59 am)Phil Wrote:

Pretty much your definition precludes any and all people who do not believe in sin (in other words your god and your bible) so please swallow a large glass of sulfuric acid you bigoted moron.

Read the post again maybe it will dawn on you, that if one is seeking to define morality in his/her life then the acknowledgment of sin and evil (even if it is the secular brand) is a requirement to the task at hand.. M-O-R-A-L-I-T-Y is all about managing one's sin/evil limit.

No it means you are a bigoted piece of scum.
(April 14, 2012 at 2:00 am)Cinjin Wrote:
Drich Wrote:Righteousness says: it is always a sin to lie no matter what the reason.

Wait ... what?

So you're claiming that all lying is a sin??? Your righteous god can commit genocide on a whim, but I'm not allowed to lie to a telephone marketer?!!? *facepalm*

A French man living in Germany in the 1940's lies to a German SS officer and says that he's not hiding any Jews in his basement. Subsequently, he saves an entire family of god's chosen people, but sins, bringing god's disdain on himself for lying to a murdering brute.

Fuck your god

You seem to be missing a bit of the equation. In that God's righteousness is not/Can not be obtained by our efforts. It is a gift given to all who believe in the atoning sacrifice of Christ.

That means righteousness is still obtainable even if you lie to the German officer to save your friend/family.
(April 14, 2012 at 2:20 am)Drich Wrote: You seem to be missing a bit of the equation. In that God's righteousness is not/Can not be obtained by our efforts. It is a gift given to all who believe in the atoning sacrifice of Christ.

That means righteousness is still obtainable even if you lie to the German officer to save your friend/family.

So after saving your god's chosen people, I have to ask forgiveness for not telling the truth?? And only then do I get the righteousness? I often lied to my grandmother as a kid. I would tell her that I was going to the arcade when I was really going to play football because she was terrified that I would get seriously hurt playing that sport. There was no malicious intent in that lie ... therefore there is no sin, unrighteousness, etc etc.

If you and/or your god think there is, that's your business, but I know many Christians who do not think the way you do. Are you a true Christian or are they?

... let me just guess ...
[Image: Evolution.png]

People,

A link below of a definition in Oxford Dictionaries website I guess.

http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition...q=morality

(April 14, 2012 at 7:17 am)Thomas Kelly Wrote: People,

A link below of a definition in Oxford Dictionaries website I guess.

http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition...q=morality

Notice how it says nothing about sin? Do me a favor and tell your christoholic friend DBitch.
The Golden Rule. Pre-dates monotheism. Makes sense on an instinctual, biological, psychological, emotional, and physical scale. Ties in with biological altruism which is demonstrated in nature in many herd, flock, and/or pack-based creatures.

There. Morality. On an instinctual, biological level. Makes far more sense than your vague grasp-at-smoke struggling attempt to define it within the confines of a "fitting with modern religion against old religion" sense.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bibe Study 2: Questionable Morality Rhondazvous 30 2863 May 27, 2019 at 12:23 pm
Last Post: Vicki Q
  Christian morality delusions tackattack 87 9018 November 27, 2018 at 8:09 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  pop morality Drich 862 140963 April 9, 2016 at 12:54 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Question to Theists About the Source of Morality GrandizerII 33 7652 January 8, 2016 at 7:39 pm
Last Post: Godscreated
  C.S. Lewis and the Argument From Morality Jenny A 15 6211 August 3, 2015 at 4:03 pm
Last Post: Jenny A
  The questionable morality of Christianity (and Islam, for that matter) rado84 35 7517 July 21, 2015 at 9:01 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Stereotyping and morality Dontsaygoodnight 34 8154 March 20, 2015 at 7:11 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  You CAN game Christian morality RobbyPants 82 17619 March 12, 2015 at 3:39 pm
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Challenge regarding Christian morality robvalue 170 35960 February 16, 2015 at 10:17 am
Last Post: Tonus
  The Prisoner's Dilemma and Objective/Subjective Morality RobbyPants 9 4247 December 17, 2014 at 9:41 pm
Last Post: dyresand